Periformis injury help

zacattack

WKR
Anybody ever had problems with their periformis muscle hurting? Mine will start hurting after about 2 miles of running. I took about two weeks off from training and it went away but ran yesterday and sure enough about 2 miles in it starting hurting. It’s not bad and never hurts any other time. I’ve been doing stretches and massages to help. Anybody got any advice? It’s a real pain in the ass I’ll tell you that much! :D

eamyrick

WKR
I almost spit my coffee when I read that thinking about how bad my hurt 2-3 months ago. I’m 33 and have run marathons/CrossFit/etc and have never had an issue and then out of the blue it started killing me. It ruined my whole day. I tried every stretch in the book and while they felt great the pain returned within 20 minutes. The best info I found online was that instead of stretching the muscle it needs to be strengthened/shortened. There is a YouTube video with a ton of views about this. I couldn’t stretch my way out of the pain. Rest was the key. I’m tall and also found that sitting with my legs crossed aggravates it.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
I almost spit my coffee when I read that thinking about how bad my hurt 2-3 months ago. I’m 33 and have run marathons/CrossFit/etc and have never had an issue and then out of the blue it started killing me. It ruined my whole day. I tried every stretch in the book and while they felt great the pain returned within 20 minutes. The best info I found online was that instead of stretching the muscle it needs to be strengthened/shortened. There is a YouTube video with a ton of views about this. I couldn’t stretch my way out of the pain. Rest was the key. I’m tall and also found that sitting with my legs crossed aggravates it.

Interesting. I have changed my running mechanics some so I wonder if that’s what is happening. I added one lap of barefoot running a week and have noticed that my mechanics are different in a good way. Any idea on the name of the video? Or will it popup with a quick search?

PMcGee

WKR
I have issues with mine every so often. Stretching and rolling it with a tennis ball usually takes it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

shedav14

FNG
Why don't you try seeing a Physical Therapist? Even a few sessions can help you, that's what I did for a muscle issue I started getting out of the blue. Every once in a while it flairs up and I go back to the exercises and stretches given.

mmac

WKR
I would suggest checking with a physical therapist. I had a similar issue, but sounds like mine was more severe and it was a bulging disk.