Permanently Closed Access Gates Question

archp625

WKR
What map or maps should I be looking at to figure out where these points are at? I'm trying to figure out this whole spring bear hunting deal and the areas I have hunting in Wyoming and Montana didn't have anything like this.

Geewhiz

WKR
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but odds are, at least in the areas I hunt in montana, the FS maps are not up to date on a lot of closures so you just have to go for yourself and do a little exploring to see where you can and cant get. There are many roads that are marked open that are gated many miles from where the map says you can get to.

Frustrating at times but I have not found a map that shows what your asking that is up to date

^^^^ Above post hit it. Weyerhaeuser and now Southern Pine Plantations own alot of good areas for hunting. Being a private owed company, gates can close or open at anytime, logging, etc.
My only pro tip is mountain bikes, gated roads and clear cuts are a good thing. Big boars and south facing snow slides even better.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
^^^^ Above post hit it. Weyerhaeuser and now Southern Pine Plantations own alot of good areas for hunting. Being a private owed company, gates can close or open at anytime, logging, etc.
My only pro tip is mountain bikes, gated roads and clear cuts are a good thing. Big boars and south facing snow slides even better.
Yes I 100% agree with you. The unit I am thinking about hunting seems to have a few roads through it. Then trails. I assume the trails are non motorized by what onX tell me. I am hoping the roads aren’t open more than they are open. I want to find an area without atv and vehicle traffic.

Geewhiz

WKR
Depending on where you are in Montana there are a lot of roads that are gated to all motor vehicles including atv’s. Specifically in the northwest portion, if a road is gated, it is gated to everything except foot traffic or bicycles.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Depending on where you are in Montana there are a lot of roads that are gated to all motor vehicles including atv’s. Specifically in the northwest portion, if a road is gated, it is gated to everything except foot traffic or bicycles.
Thanks for the info. As of right now I am looking into Idaho and I am leaning that direction.