Permethrin over DWR clothes

So anyone have suggestions?? I bought a few pairs of pants from Kuiu and started to spray them down only to realize the DWR treatment was making the permethrin mix bead up and roll off.. I don't think I'd want to treat the inside of the pants and I don't always wear long johns(especially in warm weather)

Ultimately I sprayed down my pants and left them out to "dry" but whether or not the permethrin will stick..... thats a different question altogether

LostArra

WKR
For that type of material I saturate it best I can but I also spray the inside. No different than pre-treated clothing material like Bugs Away from ExOfficio

OP
D
For that type of material I saturate it best I can but I also spray the inside. No different than pre-treated clothing material like Bugs Away from ExOfficio

So basically i should make a couple gallons worth of the stuff and weigh down my clothing inside a rubbermaide container. Once soaked, I guess I can hang them out to dry

LostArra

WKR
I guess you could but I've just spread them out on blue tarp or contractors trash bag and used the Sawyers pump inside and out until they were saturated. Kuiu dwr may be more resistant but will usually wet out plus doing the inside should help.

LostArra

WKR
Plus one on the, later close flat and spray it and let it dry.
I don’t think you want the permithin to touch your skin.
Permethrin that has dried on completely saturated dwr or non-dwr clothes will not be absorbed by skin. Spraying it inside or outside won't matter. I do both because the little basstard ticks seem to occasionally sneak inside my pants or shirts.

Regardless, permethrin is used on kids with head lice with no ill effects.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
You could try adding couple drops of dish washing liquid like Dawn to the Permethrin mix. The soap acts as a surfactant and reduces the liquids ability to bead up so it might help it soak in a little better on treated clothing. It's what we use for spraying pesticides on food plots.

I used to work for Repel Insect repellents as sales rep. You can safely spray your exposed skin with Permethrin.

It is the exact same formula you spray on a kid that picked up lice at school. The difference is the big spray companies don’t want to pay tge FDA to show it’s approved because it would double the retail and then they get to sell you DEET for your exposed skin. Two sales is better profit.

Check out RID and compare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D
You could try adding couple drops of dish washing liquid like Dawn to the Permethrin mix. The soap acts as a surfactant and reduces the liquids ability to bead up so it might help it soak in a little better on treated clothing. It's what we use for spraying pesticides on food plots.
good idea right there.. never even occurred to me to use a surfactant.

I wouldn't dream of applying permethin to myself. the strength of mix we need for the ticks around here would very likely have negative health effects if applied to skin

good idea right there.. never even occurred to me to use a surfactant.

I wouldn't dream of applying permethin to myself. the strength of mix we need for the ticks around here would very likely have negative health effects if applied to skin

I suggest you look it up. The formula for your clothes is exactly the same as what you put on your kids as RID.

I am very allergic to chiggers. Most people get bit and they have one maybe two weeks of itching. I get bit and it’s a minimum of two months of scratching with swelling. Not fun.

I too thought what you did but when the lead chemist started spraying it all over his arms my self and the other reps thought he was nuts and that’s when he explained that they didn’t want to pay the FDA a fee to have it show FDA approved because it would cut into their profit margins. He then pointed out it become two sales because people put the DEET on their skin.
2a8fe780b3bc7907973bba5a9468e367.jpg

ee23e6d1e5e908100f05826763a1cdc5.jpg

Last edited:

Warmsy

WKR
First day on a beekeeping/removal job when I was 20 in San Diego, the guy gave me a spray apparatus filled with permethrin and told me to climb the ladder in my bee suit and spray the nest up towards the top of the chimney. I had the spray nozzle in hand and went to climb the ladder. As I grabbed the ladder, I depressed the valve, and absolutely BLASTED my face, open mouth, and eyes with this stuff for 2-3 seconds before I realized what was happening...
The guy just shook his head and that was my last day haha. Hope you got a laugh from my unhelpful story about oermethrin.

kpk

WKR
I buy the concentrate off Amazon and then mix up 2 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket. I let my clothes soak in there and then hang them up outside to dry. Dried permethrin vs lime disease.....I'll take the permethrin.

I'm pretty sure the liquid will mess up pets though so be careful there.

I buy the concentrate off Amazon and then mix up 2 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket. I let my clothes soak in there and then hang them up outside to dry. Dried permethrin vs lime disease.....I'll take the permethrin.

The liquid at the commercial percentage and not super concentrated is harmless to humans and dogs. While wet it can cause neurological issues to cats with occasional death to cats. Once dry and a cat comes into contact even licking the cloth has no ill effects. Why that is I don’t know just relaying what I have been told by the chief chemist at Repel years ago.

OP
D
I suggest you look it up. The formula for your clothes is exactly the same as what you put on your kids as RID.

I am very allergic to chiggers. Most people get bit and they have one maybe two weeks of itching. I get bit and it’s a minimum of two months of scratching with swelling. Not fun.

I too thought what you did but when the lead chemist started spraying it all over his arms my self and the other reps thought he was nuts and that’s when he explained that they didn’t want to pay the FDA a fee to have it show FDA approved because it would cut into their profit margins. He then pointed out it become two sales because people put the DEET on their skin.
Never used RID... never had head lice

I haven't used a DEET product in almost 15 years. Last time I used a DEET product, I ruined a $100 rain jacket. I said "FAWK THIS $h!T" and haven't used it since. Later on I realized DEET shouldn't be used on your skin despite what they tell ya.

I'm not calling you a liar but apparently that stuff will fawk up cats. So if it fawks up cats(for the record I hate cats), I'll stick to the safe route of treating my clothes best i can and letting it dry before it touches my skin

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider

it's toxic to cats supposedly, but fine for dogs and horses.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Never used RID... never had head lice

I haven't used a DEET product in almost 15 years. Last time I used a DEET product, I ruined a $100 rain jacket. I said "FAWK THIS $h!T" and haven't used it since. Later on I realized DEET shouldn't be used on your skin despite what they tell ya.

I'm not calling you a liar but apparently that stuff will fawk up cats. So if it fawks up cats(for the record I hate cats), I'll stick to the safe route of treating my clothes best i can and letting it dry before it touches my skin
Don't be a pussy. :)

jd1006

WKR
Do you wear gaiters? You could just soak those and you’d be good up to your knees.

Dawn dish soap will completely strip your garment of its DWR. I wouldn't use dish soap on hunting clothes unless you don't want DWR.

I apply permethrin to my clothes every spring. Just spray it and let it dry, even if it beads up. The molecules will bind to your clothes regardless of dwr.