Permethrin

I know some people harbor great distain for this product claiming it to be highly toxic however, i have been using it on my exterior camos (not my base layer) and other gear (packs, tents, etc) for years. So far no tick bites. I have watched bugs land on my tent and if they didn't jump right off, they would roll off dead. So now I am contemplating spraying my six man Alaskan Guide tent down with it. For your car camping...do you do this to your bigger tents? I realize I am getting into much buggier places when backpacking and it may not be so important in your typical lakeside driveup camp but still, why not? Is there anything better than Sawyers?
Thanks.

i hose my turkey camo down with sawyers and let it dry on there. also use ben's spray. my father-in-law got lyme's a few years ago and he told me he would rather get bit by a copperhead now than a tick. i've got another friend that got alpha gal from a tick bite.

Luked

WKR
Started using it last year since a friend of mine convinced me.
never had a tick last fall deer season here. washed all the camo after deer season and used it for 4 days on a turkey hunt and everyone else was getting ticks but I never had a one for the full 4 days.
im a believer in it

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
My brother has Lyme disease. They really can't get rid of it....very serious and now rated on the scale of importance with Aids. I am all over Permethrin now. Definitely the lesser of two evils. He is really suffering...

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
My brother has Lyme disease. They really can't get rid of it....very serious and now rated on the scale of importance with Aids. I am all over Permethrin now. Definitely the lesser of two evils. He is really suffering...

Sorry to see this...what's his name, will add him to our prayer chain.

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
I am a big fan - make my own solution with Martin's 10% diluted down & spray on.

I've yet to see any research that shows any harm for humans when used in this application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IL Red

FNG
I made a 5 gallon batch, about half a percent of permithrin the rest Illinois tap water. Soaked hunting clothes in it let air dry, 2 weeks prior to turkey hunt. I was tick free for the week. Hunting buddy was constantly pulling and finding ticks crawling. We camped in very tickey surroundings

FlyGuy

WKR
Big fan of the stuff, ticks are rough down here. I've got it on my pack, sleeping bag, tarp, boots, jackets, ground cloth....

Squirrels

WKR
A can of sawyers is always in my gear room. Interested in the DIY version if someone has a link. Sawyers ain't cheap but worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D_Eightch

WKR
Started using it 3 years ago. 2 years of morel hunting in short sleeves and I've found 2. I don't soak my clothing, just a light spray. Buddy finds dozens on him through the time we are out.

Scoot

WKR
I but the 10% for cheap and mix. 3/4 cup to one gallon water and you are good.

blackdawg

WKR
I only wish they had a larger bulk spray for sale, I spend a couple of Benjamins on Sawyers each year, my family doesn't leave home without it!

Beendare

WKR
This stuff has been like magic for me....but I do take precautions.

I don't spray it on everything, no need. Its such a broad spectrum insecticide that it also kills honey bees, lady bugs- some of the beneficial insects too.

I typically spray it on my clothes, never my skin...then don't wear them right away, wait until they dry. I don't spray the ends of shirt sleeves- that type of thing. The stuff is a poison, known to cause cancer in mice/rats and I can tell you it does a number on your eyes if you happen to get any in one. I like washing my hands or wipes fairly regularly when I am wearing those clothes.

I've seen tests where researchers walk in a mosquito infested area with treated clothes and the actual mosquito count has dropped. We were drop camped in a swamp on the AK peninsula hunting the Mulchatna herd [caribou] many years ago and it was cool to see clouds of skeeters landing on my arm...then just falling off dead. A couple years prior on a similar hunt I came back down a pint.

BuckSnort

WKR
We always used it on our horses to help with flies, we bought it in powder form and mixed with water to spray..It was cheap this way, is it the same stuff?

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, permethrin is used on horses. It is one of the synthetic pyrethroid insecticides. They are insect neurotoxin based on pyrethrum, an insectide contained in an African chrysanthemum species. Fast acting, broad spectrum insect and tick effects with low mammalian effects and fairly safe but don't be spraying into a trout stream.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sawyers works great, havent had s tick all turkey season. For tents I'd get concentrate from a feed store and dilute it just for cost sake.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk