Personal Resume to an Air Transporter?

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I’m planning a DIY moose hunt in Alaska with my brother for 2020 or 2021 depending on availability of an air transporter. I originally planned on doing this hunt a few years ago. I spent a ton of time researching and narrowed my choice of air transporters down to two different services. My second choice pilot offered me a spot mid-summer for the following year while my first choice pilot said he wouldn’t book me until October after his repeat clients had committed. I held out for my first choice and when October rolled around his repeat clients booked all available spots and my 2nd choice guy was booked up by then too. I felt like the guy holding out for the homecoming queen and I was stuck without a date to the dance.

A few months later I found out my wife was pregnant with twins and I had to hit the brakes on Alaska for a couple years. Now that the kids are a bit older I’m ready to make this hunt happen.

I pulled up my spreadsheets with all my old info and started dusting them off. I decided I would use the info I’d gathered previously but I’d start from scratch also just to see if I’d missed anything or anything new had popped up. After a lot of digging and phone calls I landed back on the same two transporters but also discovered a 3rd that I’d use as a Plan C. After calling all three, I got the same common response I’d heard from almost everybody originally: “Give me a call after season and I’ll know what repeat guys are coming back and get you on a list for any openings”

I’ve decided this time around I’ll take the first available spot I can get and although I’m the client, I really feel like I need to persuade them much more than vice versa. I’ve been thinking of ways to not just get on their list but to make sure when they do have an opening I’m on the top of the list and they say “this is the guy I want to take”. I understand that taking their repeat clients is much more of a sure thing for them and much less risky. They know what they’re getting and they know what to expect. With a new guy, they have no idea. I’m considering putting together a resume of sorts and emailing to all three transporters.

A few of the things I want to highlight: I’ve done multiple 10-14 day backcountry backpack hunts and have the mental fortitude to do it successfully, I have the skill and experience to butcher and pack out an animal of that size, I won’t be calling them asking for an early flight out because I’m home sick, I’ll pack efficiently and within their weight limits. I’m sure I’m missing a few.

I considered just trying to outline these things in a phone call but the pilots I talked to seemed to be men of few words and I think a concise email may stick in their mind better than a phone call from a stranger, I’m sure they get plenty of those. I’d like to hear your thoughts on this. Is a resume of sorts a good idea? I DO NOT want it to come off braggy or boastful in any way, I really just want to ease their mind that if they take me I will make it as easy as possible on them.

I suppose the hardest part is to get inside the mind of a pilot and understand what makes him tick....or maybe pick a guy to join the club. Pilots are all different. I do think all of them have a few similarities in terms of things they may like about a prospective hunter. The pilots I've flown with seem to appreciate things like....

Humility. A guy who tries to boast his way into a plane ticket is likely to be a turn-off.
Sincerity. Coming across as sincere, honest and a general good guy is always going to help.
Experienced. I think this counts, but not as much as other things. Be sure to mix in some humility and sincerity when talking about experience.
Decisive. We all like dealing with people who able to reach a decision and not engaging in frequent debate or second guessing.
Readiness. As in...."I have the means, the will and the desire. If you offer me a spot, I'm going to say YES".
Communicates. This is a fine line thing. You don't want to bug a pilot to death, but it helps to have him see your name or hear your voice periodically. You want to be numero uno when he starts thinking about who is ready to go. Nothing wrong with a plan to check in steadily, while being polite, interested, and always "READY".

Do these things and you'll make it a lot easier for him to turn to you if he has an opening. Good luck!

OP
GreenNDark Timber

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Kevin....very good input! Your first point is the reason I'm hesitant to do it. It's difficult to send an email that is geared toward persuading someone to pick you without it coming off wrong. The typed word can so easily be misinterpreted and if that happens it would have the opposite effect I am looking for. I think for now I'll stick with a quick email letting them know I'm ready to do the hunt when they have an opening so they have my contact info in front of them and do periodic follow up calls so they know I'm still interested based on their feedback.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I do not think a resume will help.

I do not think calling them excessively will help.

I think they have a long list with many tire kickers they weed thru in order.

I think if you have a friend who is a return customer that could put in a good word for you that is about the best you could hope for in preference.

Once you get that break they will know you are a return customer worth having.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
no personal resume' is as effective as $100 bills. Like a good education, money talks louder than words, IMO.

No one has time or need to read anything more than CASH MONEY.

How much? How desperate are you to have a slot?

Call it an "advanced gratuity" on a note and put the words, We Are Committed and Responsible Hunters: Need to Hunt for Food!!

maybe that'll work.

lb

I suppose the hardest part is to get inside the mind of a pilot and understand what makes him tick....or maybe pick a guy to join the club. Pilots are all different. I do think all of them have a few similarities in terms of things they may like about a prospective hunter. The pilots I've flown with seem to appreciate things like....

Humility. A guy who tries to boast his way into a plane ticket is likely to be a turn-off.
Sincerity. Coming across as sincere, honest and a general good guy is always going to help.
Experienced. I think this counts, but not as much as other things. Be sure to mix in some humility and sincerity when talking about experience.
Decisive. We all like dealing with people who able to reach a decision and not engaging in frequent debate or second guessing.
Readiness. As in...."I have the means, the will and the desire. If you offer me a spot, I'm going to say YES".
Communicates. This is a fine line thing. You don't want to bug a pilot to death, but it helps to have him see your name or hear your voice periodically. You want to be numero uno when he starts thinking about who is ready to go. Nothing wrong with a plan to check in steadily, while being polite, interested, and always "READY".

Do these things and you'll make it a lot easier for him to turn to you if he has an opening. Good luck!

All of this is great info and was largely the approach I used while speaking to pilots. Ultimately one gave a great reference to another that we luckily booked.

While I totally hear you about many of them being folks of few words, I found that they listen and help when approached sincerely. Obviously they may not get emotionally invested in your request but will help you if it works out and they can..

Good Luck!

no personal resume' is as effective as $100 bills. Like a good education, money talks louder than words, IMO.

No one has time or need to read anything more than CASH MONEY.

How much? How desperate are you to have a slot?

Call it an "advanced gratuity" on a note and put the words, We Are Committed and Responsible Hunters: Need to Hunt for Food!!

maybe that'll work.

lb
Sadly, this is the way of our world today in EVERYTHING - In part it's the cost of living in a "Capitalist society" where $$$ precludes literally all else - bite the bullet and pay up, it is just the way it is

Last edited:

VernAK

WKR
If you can arrange a flexible schedule, advise the flight service. Many hunters have a rigid vacation schedule that leaves the pilots with room to fit another group into their schedule.

All of this is great info and was largely the approach I used while speaking to pilots. Ultimately one gave a great reference to another that we luckily booked.

While I totally hear you about many of them being folks of few words, I found that they listen and help when approached sincerely. Obviously they may not get emotionally invested in your request but will help you if it works out and they can..

Good Luck!
Pilots, in particular "Alaskan pilots" are nearly always no nonsense straight shooters and very good people to deal with if one has patience and understanding of their environment