Personal Safety

Poltbm

FNG
Let’s talk about safety (in the wild). Forgive me if this has been discussed recently. As a former LEO guy, I think this is a timely discussion. I’m a bow hunter, and always armed with a handgun. I’m less concerned with cougar or bear attacks here in the SW US than I am with douchebags who might try to victimize people to benefit themselves. Plenty of tech out there now (motion lights, trail cams...)

So the conversation begins:

Squamch

WKR
I carry a rifle, and generally look like someone you shouldn't talk to. My hunting partner has tattoos from his ears to his fingers.
My truck is a beater, with a gun case open on the front seat, and an empty box of ammo blatantly displayed.
Before my dog died, having an 85lb pitbull in the back seat was an effective deterrent too.
My camps while on foot are well hidden.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Loaded question but yes, some areas can be questionable. Illegal grows, legal grows, meth camps, crazy hillbillie, cartel, angry ranchers, teenagers, thieves. If you’re worried about game thieves just do what I do and fail to kill something:)

Rich M

WKR
I guess what it comes down to - how many times have you actually been threatened or assaulted while on hunts or even just in the woods?

We've always had the nefarious element of society.

If you want to talk about using motion lights and such in camp - they work great.

Ever consider the $10 driveway alarms from Harbor Freight? I actually place driveway alarms in my boat when on vacation and such - put a beeper in the place you are staying and one in the boat so they know they been had. Down side is raccoons and such will set em off too.

Jbehredt

WKR
The theater shooting convinced me that there’s enough evil in this world that some slight discomfort is a reasonable trade off for added security. I haven’t left the house without a pistol on my hip since. No way am I going out on my knees begging or hiding behind something hoping to not get shot.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't worry about it much while bowhunting, but I'm always armed either way. I just said last night, you'd have to be crazy these days to leave your home while unarmed. Things are getting out of control.......and they're only going to get worse the closer the nation gets to bankruptcy and going belly up.......and that goal seems to be on hyperdrive now.

But as for safety in the woods, I'm probably 1000 times more likely to break a leg or ankle than have a problem with others out there.

dtrkyman

WKR
Have only ever been in one situation where I wished I had a gun, was on vacation and I flew there, likely would not have brought a gun even if I carried all the time.

I have been thinking of starting to carry, we always carried in the shop when I sold guns but that is the only time I ever carried, one time I closed the shop and went to the grocery store with a 5906 on my hip, didn't realize it for a few minutes, once I did I bailed!!! Crazy no one seemed to notice.

About pulled the trigger on a 10mm last year for back country carry.

WCB

WKR
I carry EVERYWHERE I go. If I'm rifle hunting I don't carry my pistol unless I'm in Grizz country. I can tell you I am not more than 20ft from a firearm 99% of the time and 99% of that time one is in my waist band or in my hand.

I fully expect the drive to the woods and the drive back home are the more risky undertakings.
I almost always carry. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Stay away from cliffs, fast moving water, thin ice, and stay dry for the most part and you’ll probably be ok.

FullValue

Lil-Rokslider
A firearm is a tool or piece of equipment or whatever you want to call it. There is not one item in this world that will work for everything and a firearm is no different especially if you don't understand it's capabilities and limitations. Everyone needs to make the personal decision if they think it's an essential piece of equipment to their daily lives or whatever they are doing. For me it absolutely is regardless of what I'm doing. I'm not paranoid and have a pretty extensive background it regards to firearms and their capabilities and have had the opportunity or unfortunate opportunity (depending on how you look at it) to deal/use them in different scenarios. I consider having one a essential part of my daily life. Sometimes the type of firearm I carry changes depending on what my environment will be but I always have one. Everyone is different, some can't go anywhere without their chew or phone or whatever and won't even try. I look at having a gun with me the same way.

OP
P

Poltbm

FNG
Great responses. I’m on the same page & didn’t expect anything less from the folks here. Just to clarify, I’m NOT worried about remote camping... I’m just preparing for the worst, while I’m out there. People have lost their minds—to the next level. That will never stop me from doing what I love & enjoy.

I did read something interesting about setting up trail cams overlooking camp. Great idea, even if it’s more for evidentiary/after-the-fact purposes. I suppose in areas with cell coverage it could serve as an immediate notification (similar to home security cams), which is perfect. Obviously, a lot of remote areas don’t have cell service. So that kinda sucks.

FLAK

WKR
I've carried everywhere since 08.
Wish I could re-do a couple of my NM border
unit choices this year.

OP
P

Poltbm

FNG
I carry a rifle, and generally look like someone you shouldn't talk to. My hunting partner has tattoos from his ears to his fingers.
My truck is a beater, with a gun case open on the front seat, and an empty box of ammo blatantly displayed.
Before my dog died, having an 85lb pitbull in the back seat was an effective deterrent too.
My camps while on foot are well hidden.
I guess what it comes down to - how many times have you actually been threatened or assaulted while on hunts or even just in the woods?

We've always had the nefarious element of society.

If you want to talk about using motion lights and such in camp - they work great.

Ever consider the $10 driveway alarms from Harbor Freight? I actually place driveway alarms in my boat when on vacation and such - put a beeper in the place you are staying and one in the boat so they know they been had. Down side is raccoons and such will set em off too.
Totally agree. But times, they’re a changin’. I‘ll take a look at those! Thx

OP
P

Poltbm

FNG
I've carried everywhere since 08.
Wish I could re-do a couple of my NM border
unit choices this year.
As a New Mexican (born and raised) I hear ya! This current administration will use any American defending themselves as a poster child for gun control and immigration amnesty. A righteous life outweighs one’s political agendas.

FLAK

WKR
As a New Mexican (born and raised) I hear ya! This current administration will use any American defending themselves as a poster child for gun control and immigration amnesty. A righteous life outweighs one’s political agendas.
True.
Be better off picking up your brass and never speaking a word about it.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I always carry concealed NO MATTER where I am. Evil is everywhere, Boulder is proof of that. A simple trip to the store, post office or gas station can quickly turn onto unexpected chaos, it pays to be prepared. I'm not going to try to be a hero, I'm heading for cover as fast as everyone else, but refuse to go down without a fight.
Should a shooter wander around looking for victims, as some do he will get a .45 surprise.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
From what I see every day out in society........most people's situational awareness is zero. I guess not everybody came out of the womb as sheep dogs. But I've trained my family pretty well. It's funny now when my kids tell the restaurant hostess "that table isn't going to work for us........how about that one in the back corner".

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
From what I see every day out in society........most people's situational awareness is zero. I guess not everybody came out of the womb as sheep dogs. But I've trained my family pretty well. It's funny now when my kids tell the restaurant hostess "that table isn't going to work for us........how about that one in the back corner".
And your kids make an excellent point. Whenever I am a coffee shop for instance, I always sit where I can see the door and when it opens I look up and watch whom ever came in for a few seconds to be sure coffee is all they came in for. A gunman could shoot everyone in a coffee shop before anyone even realized he/she had come in. Everyone is so focused on texting, reading, typing, chatting, working, eating and drinking that they have no idea what is going on around them.

260madman

WKR
Wife and I both have G43s. Just bought 2 G19s and a S&W MP9 2.0 5”. G19 for home and office. S&W for the farm/home. With the way people are getting free money and the Left thinking everything should be theirs and crime shouldn’t be punishable it’s good to be prepared. I don’t have a rich and vibrant culture by me but meth and drunks are a real thing, yet rarely have issues. Don’t be a statistic.

I’m always armed in the woods and always have been.

TomJoad

WKR
Thought I’d offer a contrasting perspective although I’m sure it will be in the minority. The only time I carry in the woods is with a rifle, during rifle season. I spend a lot of nights in the woods in CO and WY annually and have never ever had an experience that was questionable. Also spent plenty of time on the border in CA deserts and never had an interest or need to carry. I’ve lived in metro areas that would be considered “rough neighborhoods” and have never carried, or seen a need. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a gun owner and love going to the range to plink with my beretta 92fs, but that’s all the action it’s going to see.