Perspective Elk units

I think this is the first time I’ve seen so many people pretend elk calling is so effective during 2nd rifle season. I think your biggest priority will be getting away from other hunters. That will be the most crowded season IMHO. Be careful with calling advise during rifle season except first season.

I understand that this is second season rifle but do still recommend the elk101 (especially for this reason), roe hunting resources, and the elk nut simply because, while they do have a large part of their platform that is with regard to calling, the OP is also looking for how to find the elk, e-scouting tips and tricks, elk behavior during the different seasons etc. Elk101 has a tremendous amount of information on late(r) season hunting with rifle etc. In my opinion, if I was going on any western hunt regardless of season or weapon, I would be all over the three of the resources as they provide valuable information in likely spots to identify elk and addressing the needs of the elk given that specific season that the OP is hunting.

kcarter9

FNG
Check regs for those units. Archery OTC tags just went to bull only (opposed to either sex) because of low elk population numbers. I live in 444 and elk numbers are definitely low, but you can find them if you put the time in.

I've hunted 45 for a number of years, muzzleloader & rifle...numbers are low here too from years past. A LOT of recreation/jeepers up there throughout the summer. I think they went bull only because populations there are highly impacted right now.
2nd rifle is tough, it gets crowded and the elk hunker down in their hidey-holes and there's not much to scout from roads.
Needless to say it's challenging. Not impossible in these units with a some luck and a lot of hiking. Just bring good boots, the terrain can get nasty

SWOHTR

WKR
First thing you should do is delete all 3 of your unit choices off of a public forum. I would think you knew this by now if you are a long time reader.

Now that’s a warm welcome...nothing says “glad you’re here” quite like that. With that attitude it’s no wonder why hunter recruitment is poor.

OP
W
Now that’s a warm welcome...nothing says “glad you’re here” quite like that. With that attitude it’s no wonder why hunter recruitment is poor.
Some people are just like that. It’s why nobody posts on these forums, for fear of being blasted for no reason.

OP, did you know the state publishes a lot of relevant info for your recreational digestion? Elk survey reports, hunter success statistics, etc. Colorado will even tell you the popular migration corridors if you look.

Beyond all that, it's damn rough country. You should take a summer backpacking trip in there and reconsider.

KHNC

WKR
If you thought about my post a little harder, you would realize I was trying to help him. By posting his units, it puts it out there for the whole "google" world to see the replies. Then, regardless of how good the units may be, they will be a little more crowded every year. More crowds do not usually equal a better quality hunt.

CMF

WKR
The Elk101 course is pretty good for the price. You will get most of it just by immersing yourself in the internet elk world though.
I agree with this, if you're spending all year watching youtube and listening to podcast you'll likely pick up most of the info there, but if you're just starting to research and want one resource containing everything it would be a good investment.

jog

FNG
The other thing worth mentioning is that elk aren’t always as far from the roads as you might think. Good luck.
This heavily used wallow was less than 1 mile off trailhead and everyone was hiking right on by to their "destination". We got into elk right there. 20190928_100202.jpg

OP
W
I agree with this, if you're spending all year watching youtube and listening to podcast you'll likely pick up most of the info there, but if you're just starting to research and want one resource containing everything it would be a good investment.
You’re the first of many to recommend Elk 101 so I’m going to pick it up and absorb as much as possible through that.