Perspective Elk units

Hello, long time reader, first time poster! I’ve been reading through the forums here for about 6-7 months soaking up all information I can. I’m a east coast hunter but looking at going out in the 2020 season for OTC elk in CO. I’ve been specifically looking at units 44, 45, and 444 for second rifle season. Being this will be my first time hunting west of the Mississippi River I’m trying to get all the help I can.

The hunt will be a backpack/spike camp set up. I’m going with two other people and we are all three in good physical shape and training as we speak for this hunt. I’m looking for any tips or tricks anyone has to offer, or any knowledge on these units, or if there’s better to consider.

Thank you for any and all responses!

PredatorX

WKR
Study elk behavior, study topo maps and Google Earth, practice your calling as well as different scenarios you may encounter. (Elk nuts playbook is great). Get your gear in order. Stay in shape. Worry less about the perfect unit as most in CO will hold more elk then you will ever find. Be flexible in your planning with backup options.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Study elk behavior, study topo maps and Google Earth, practice your calling as well as different scenarios you may encounter. (Elk nuts playbook is great). Get your gear in order. Stay in shape. Worry less about the perfect unit as most in CO will hold more elk then you will ever find. Be flexible in your planning with backup options.

^^this. The only thing I would add is Roe Hunting resources and Elk 101 (in addition to the elknut). To me, they are all extremely valuable and will have you starting ahead of most.

OP
W
^^this. The only thing I would add is Roe Hunting resources and Elk 101 (in addition to the elknut). To me, they are all extremely valuable and will have you starting ahead of most.
My next question was about the elk 101 package. It seems to be a small investment for the amount of knowledge it entails. Have you used it?

chindits

WKR
I think this is the first time I’ve seen so many people pretend elk calling is so effective during 2nd rifle season. I think your biggest priority will be getting away from other hunters. That will be the most crowded season IMHO. Be careful with calling advise during rifle season except first season.

OP
W
I think this is the first time I’ve seen so many people pretend elk calling is so effective during 2nd rifle season. I think your biggest priority will be getting away from other hunters. That will be the most crowded season IMHO. Be careful with calling advise during rifle season except first season.
I didn’t think that calling but would be all that effective just from what I could gather here and other places during the second season. But I definitely agree with getting away from other humans!

My one piece of advice comes from you saying “backpack/spike camp setup”. I think many will agree that before you invest the time and effort into backpacking gear in anywhere you should set up a base camp and hike in and hunt it. Make sure elk are in the area before you find yourself on an expensive camping trip and wasting more time packing out to relocate. The only exception would be if someone you personally know has hunted the area and tells you where to hunt and camp.

The other thing worth mentioning is that elk aren’t always as far from the roads as you might think. Good luck.

OP
W
Thank you for that, I intended to set up base camp and go out the first day and hopefully find sign of elk or elk before I set up a spike camp. I don’t want to get overzealous and walk straight past elk half a mile from my base camp.

That’s wise. As a matter of fact since you’re new to the area you should have at least 3-5 plans 10 miles down the road from each other to fall back on un case plans A and B are a bust.

PredatorX

WKR
Sorry missed the 2nd season part. If you go out there in 2nd season and start ripping off bugles you may just get shot!

Also keep in mind that you can move to any OTC unit if you are not liking the looks of option 1,2,3,etc. Just give yourself some time before the opener to find your sweet spot and settle in. Maybe try and arrive a day or more before the hunt begins. I would much rather take 2 days off the backend of a hunt and put it into scouting in hopes you can be sitting on a bull that first morning.

OP
W
Sorry missed the 2nd season part. If you go out there in 2nd season and start ripping off bugles you may just get shot!

Also keep in mind that you can move to any OTC unit if you are not liking the looks of option 1,2,3,etc. Just give yourself some time before the opener to find your sweet spot and settle in. Maybe try and arrive a day or more before the hunt begins. I would much rather take 2 days off the backend of a hunt and put it into scouting in hopes you can be sitting on a bull that first morning.

I never thought about coming in two days early and using them as scouting days. I think I may just do that. Like you stated, I would too much rather spend two days scouting before the major crowds get there and already be on elk when opening day comes.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
Check regs for those units. Archery OTC tags just went to bull only (opposed to either sex) because of low elk population numbers. I live in 444 and elk numbers are definitely low, but you can find them if you put the time in.

You can but one right now. With 2 you can draw. You can draw with zero in the random drawing. It doesn’t have to be just a dream.

KHNC

WKR
First thing you should do is delete all 3 of your unit choices off of a public forum. I would think you knew this by now if you are a long time reader.

OP
W
First thing you should do is delete all 3 of your unit choices off of a public forum. I would think you knew this by now if you are a long time reader.
I’m looking for advice on those units, never said it was concrete I was going there.