Pet insurance recommendations

WRO

WKR
My older setter is very susceptible to cheat and hurting himself, so I need to get some pet insurance. I'm 1200 dollars into cheat removal since July.

Idaho opener Pic for attention.
de48794f4f5546ec50da66a79eab9f09.jpg
a02ea5a765aab5547c32a6616b5734ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
We have used Healthy Paws for about 7-8 years. I wish our own (human) insurance was so easy to work with.
It has gone up quite a bit as my dog has aged. At the original price it was well worth it and paid for itself at 90% payout. But it really would be better to just save in an emergency dog fund for the dog at the recent costs.

sndmn11

WKR
We have healthy paws as well. I don't think I will continue it after she gets to be about 6 or 7 due to the rate increases.

I also don't think I'd get a policy for a dog older than a few months. It seemed that the exclusions for coverage were strict on prior issues.

manitou1

WKR
Yeah, they have paid well on a few occasions. Snap a pick of the bill and send it to them and they cut a check within a few days.
Now that one is pushing twelve years old it is pricey. Still a bargain compared to human insurance though!

From the quotes I got, and assuming the rates would never increase - which they will, you would need the insurance to cover 10-12k for a dog that lives 9 years to break even.

I would just put that premium aside every month and start an emergency fund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
My older setter is very susceptible to cheat and hurting himself, so I need to get some pet insurance. I'm 1200 dollars into cheat removal since July.

Idaho opener Pic for attention.
de48794f4f5546ec50da66a79eab9f09.jpg
a02ea5a765aab5547c32a6616b5734ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Are those Chukar? Where are you killing them at?

We were using Trupanion. Used it multiple times in Canada and once in Texas. It might be the only thing I've come across that's cheaper in Canada lol. If you have an older dog, I would imagine the premiums wouldn't be worth it. Looking at how many dogs we were running and the amount of times we used it, we decided to cancel the policies on all the dogs but one.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I have trupanion for my 5 and 7 year old spaniels and pay $220 per month for both and the yearly increases have been very small. I track the insurance cost versus the covered bills and overall the insurance company is profiting. However I still keep the insurance because when a major problem happens ($8k TPLO knee replacement), you can quickly say yes to the procedure without much financial heartache.

Trupanion is easy to work with but you have to read the policy and exclusions. For example any documented conditions prior to getting insurance are not covered. My older dog wasn't insured until age 2, so all prior documented problems are not covered.

If your older dog allready has alot of documented issues, insurance probably won't be worth it (unless major new issue occurs) and you might be better off saving for and paying the unexpected bills.

For your future dogs, my advice is to get insurance during the first puppy visit, so there are no prior conditions and everything is fully covered. I had the most problems between years 0-4 (I hope).