Peterson brass, doesn't seem right..

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I've been told Peterson brass is comparable to Lapua so I picked up 150 pieces of once fired large rifle primer 6 creedmoor brass from True Ballistics. After loading some up I instantly noticed the case capacity is nowhere near the Hornady brass I was loading. With the Hornady cases I could easily load over book max with IMR4831 and still wouldn't be compressed or hit pressure with a 105gr VLD, with the Peterson around 45gr tops the case off. Hodgdon's min-max for this combo is 41.2-45, I'm seeing pressure before I get to 43gr.. All cases were wet tumbled, full length resized with .002 shoulder bump, trimmed, chamfered, and deburred. Every charge weighed on RCBS triple beam, always checked at zero with a calibration weight.

Is the difference just that noticeable because it's a smaller cartridge? Am I just going to have to deal with this "awesome" brass giving me no noticeable benefit (so far), just less velocity?

slowelk

WKR
I ran into this with 6.5 CM brass, from what I read Peterson has lower case capacity due to its thickness, and if you load the same powder charge as you would in Hornady you would achieve higher max pressure, but lower average pressure, and likely lower mv. It stated that ou can actually load lighter charges and achieve similar velocity due to being able to attain higher average pressure with less powder. I haven't had a chance to text this myself though.

You will be getting the same performance with less powder. Do you have a chronograph to compare? Without one, you are just assuming you are getting less velocity because of less powder.

I only load Lapua, and use less powder to achieve the same or more velocity.

Steve

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
You will be getting the same performance with less powder. Do you have a chronograph to compare? Without one, you are just assuming you are getting less velocity because of less powder.

I only load Lapua, and use less powder to achieve the same or more velocity.

Steve
Yes all my velocity data comes from a Magnetospeed sporter. With the Hornady brass I could get up to 3200fps without pressure indications, my first ladder with the Peterson showed pressure at about 3050. There was a velocity node at about 3000 which will work fine, just thought that was a pretty big difference going to supposedly better brass. I'm also not an expert reloader so I don't like to push the thresholds.

4ester

WKR
If you decide to use that “better” Hornady brass I will buy that old crappy Peterson junk off you.

You don’t buy better quality brass for more velocity. You buy it for longer life and more consistency.

Chasing speed is going to leave you very disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
If you decide to use that “better” Hornady brass I will buy that old crappy Peterson junk off you.

You don’t buy better quality brass for more velocity. You buy it for longer life and more consistency.

Chasing speed is going to leave you very disappointed.

I understand, that's why I bought it. I'm not necessarily chasing velocity, I was just wondering if it was common to have such a drastic difference in case capacity between brands of brass.

True Ballistics has more in stock if you're looking for some. $21.50/50.

4ester

WKR
I understand, that's why I bought it. I'm not necessarily chasing velocity, I was just wondering if it was common to have such a drastic difference in case capacity between brands of brass.

True Ballistics has more in stock if you're looking for some. $21.50/50.

Yes its very common. Brass brands generally cannot be swapped without a full load workup. Quality brass is generally a little thicker which takes away from case capacity. Lapua, Alpha, ADG, Peterson will all be a lower charge in general.

Nah, I already have a few green boxes stuffed full of Peterson brass. Been super consistent.

amassi

WKR
Adg and Petersen have been close enough in 22 creedmoor to use the same load.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk