Petition to give 25% of the tags to max point holders in Nevada

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is you have hunts in the preference point system that will never get through the max point holders like X5B. If you missed the start of the point system you basically have no chance. I grew up in CA and am familiar with the system. I prefer the chance I have here in NV much better than the CA system. The NV system gives everyone a random chance, while still allowing for people with more points to have a better chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What your opinion as a resident on going from 5 choices to less choices?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
This is about Nevada a system you don't appear to understand at all.
First it's the old guys that want to make a change to the system so it benefits them even more. Points are already squared which heavily favors those with the most points.
Second your experience is with a tag that takes 4 years to get to the top. The topic here is about tags you could wait your entire life and never get to the top points simply because demand will always out pace the opportunity.

So I just did some reading and I understand the Nevada stuff. It didnt sway my point of view. I still think those that have been standing in line the longest should be served first.

Wolf13

FNG
The problem is you have hunts in the preference point system that will never get through the max point holders like X5B. If you missed the start of the point system you basically have no chance. I grew up in CA and am familiar with the system. I prefer the chance I have here in NV much better than the CA system. The NV system gives everyone a random chance, while still allowing for people with more points to have a better chance.

Yep, point creep is real. For tags not in huge demand it is OK, but the problem is the ones with single digit tags a year. Tags that used to be 10 points are now 20 points. Looking at historical data it even happens on "average" units. There are simply more interested parties than tags so the theory of first in line first to take doesn't work in all cases. Granted one could say it's their choice to apply for the high demand low odds hunt. I'm not sure what the solution is on the tag situation. I think residents should have much more opportunities than non residents, aside from that I don't know what's best.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I just did some reading and I understand the Nevada stuff. It didnt sway my point of view. I still think those that have been standing in line the longest should be served first.
Yep in total disagreement with your opinion thankfully the system was not design that way from the beginning.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Perfect time to let the commissioners know what you think if you’re quarantined.

Dang that all seems unneccesarily complicated. I live in CA and it seems pretty simple. People with the highest points, 1 point per year, get drawn first. Then the second highest and so on until 90% of tags are drawn. Then they all go in the same pool and a random draw pulls the last 10%. So people who have put in the longest have the best chance and, there is always a chance anyone can get drawn.

Seems pretty fair. With most tags you can predict the time it will take to get it, unless you get the random draw. You can also look at the draw stats and know how many max point applicants applied.

I beleive I am within 2 to 3 years of a really good elk tag within an hour and half of my home for a great mountain Roosevelt bull.

I live in CA and by far like NV’s system better. Unless you are a max point hunter you are drawing for 10% of the tags and that will not change in most people’s lifetime for anything other than deer. To each their own, but I’ll take NV over CA anytime.

Fatcamp

WKR
I see it as totally fair. First in line gets first choice.

I started at 25 or so when CA started, because of my own mistakes I missed a year on elk, never missed on antelope and can predict I will draw my preferred deer tag every 3 to 4 years. Prior to this system, using a total random draw, I hadn't gotten my deer zone I wanted for 13 or 14 years.

The nevada system seems odd but I dont really pay attention to it because I dont hunt there.

Prior to going all computerized in CA, the guys were getting drawn "randomly". I was complaining about never getting my tag of choice and a couple guys said they had gotten theirs several times. Come to find out they were slipping cash in the envelope for their tags. They seemed surprised I didnt know you could do that.
Wait, so you think a system that shuts out new hunters is a good idea? Really?

Bonus point draw systems aren’t a “line” to stand in to begin with. That would be a preference point system. I see no justification to convert bonus points to preference points so if Nevada is going to make the change then everyone should reset with no points.

When you first started applying you knew that you could apply for tags balancing drawability vs desirability. If you bet on a highly desirable tag with <1% draw odds and point creep, draw odds are a long gamble even over 20-30 years. If you took the bet and lost, too bad, so sad. I don’t think we need to start “bail out tags” or “point welfare”

On top of that, you are screwing the mid-range point holders who will essentially be in a war of attrition to be in the max point group. Whereas before they were had some odds of drawing, they would be slashed again or cut to zero (depending on whether the max-point tags were handed out on a hunt-by-hunt or overall state drawing pool basis). If they started building points very young, they might catch the max pool but anyone who started later would have most of their points wasted (too many for normal tags but too few to ever draw)

Last edited:
OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Bonus point draw systems aren’t a “line” to stand in to begin with. That would be a preference point system. I see no justification to convert bonus points to preference points so if Nevada is going to make the change then everyone should reset with no points.

When you first started applying you knew that you could apply for tags balancing drawability vs desirability. If you bet on a highly desirable tag with
On top of that, you are screwing the mid-range point holders who will essentially be in a war of attrition to be in the max point group. Whereas before they were had some odds of drawing, they would be slashed again or cut to zero (depending on whether the max-point tags were handed out on a hunt-by-hunt or overall state drawing pool basis). If they started building points very young, they might catch the max pool but anyone who started later would have most of their points wasted (too many for normal tags but too few to ever draw)

Bail out tag is a perfect description.