Petzl actik core headlamp shoutout

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Big recommendation from me to the Petzl actik Core headlamp. For a long while I’ve been using black diamond options and before my sheep hunt I wanted to try a rechargeable lamp again after some bad experiences with the black diamond revolt.

After researching some options I went with the actik core because you can use the rechargeable battery (and purchase extras) or you can run with regular battery’s if the rechargeable goes down. Too early to say how long a charge is held, I used it daily (12 days) on my sheep hunt this August for probably 15 min total each day around my tent, then on a 3 day backpack hunt in Idaho on the same charge and I didn’t find it to be a lot dimmer than I started with. But I charged it before last weekends outing.

There are 3 brightness settings and the brightest setting kicks the hell out of both my black diamond icon and storm. This thread isn’t a dig against black diamond, just my experiences with the multiple models. BD also makes a very solid reliable lamp, but that Actik blew me away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Jordan, I listened to your gear wrap up where you recently mentioned the Petzel headlamp. By the way, great podcast and thanks for sharing all of the specifics! By chance, did you use the red light, and if so, how would you say it compares to the Black Diamond?

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan, I listened to your gear wrap up where you recently mentioned the Petzel headlamp. By the way, great podcast and thanks for sharing all of the specifics! By chance, did you use the red light, and if so, how would you say it compares to the Black Diamond?

I haven’t used it a lot, but I did a little on a horse ride earlier in the month. I would say they’re fairly even with the brightness, the petzl doesn’t have the adjustable red light like my black diamond storm does though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was just looking into these. It’s nice to have everything rechargeable and just have a power bank but it’s also a “all your eggs in one basket” problem. I won’t mind carrying a few batteries just in case.

Big recommendation from me to the Petzl actik Core headlamp. For a long while I’ve been using black diamond options and before my sheep hunt I wanted to try a rechargeable lamp again after some bad experiences with the black diamond revolt.

After researching some options I went with the actik core because you can use the rechargeable battery (and purchase extras) or you can run with regular battery’s if the rechargeable goes down. Too early to say how long a charge is held, I used it daily (12 days) on my sheep hunt this August for probably 15 min total each day around my tent, then on a 3 day backpack hunt in Idaho on the same charge and I didn’t find it to be a lot dimmer than I started with. But I charged it before last weekends outing.

There are 3 brightness settings and the brightest setting kicks the hell out of both my black diamond icon and storm. This thread isn’t a dig against black diamond, just my experiences with the multiple models. BD also makes a very solid reliable lamp, but that Actik blew me away

I too recently acquired my 1st Petzel… and love it!!!

The petzel red light is a spotlight, unlike the weak flood style of my 4 Black Diamond lamps…..

gunrush128

Lil-Rokslider
Some of the other reviews I’ve read recently have pointed out that the Petzl is not waterproof, whereas the Black Diamond is. Has anyone had any issues with this? I mean, I don’t plan on going swimming with my headlamp, but I can definitely see some wet hiking/tracking scenarios. Wonder how the Petzl holds up in those situations? Primarily the Actik Core 450

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro