Pheasant ammo doesn't exist

jmez

WKR
If you are just shooting quail use #8's. Those should be available about everywhere. I use 7.5 for all my upland and that is easy to find as well.

KurtR

WKR
If you are just shooting quail use #8's. Those should be available about everywhere. I use 7.5 for all my upland and that is easy to find as well.
Nope hardest to find. No one had any 8 shot for doves this year and the stuff that was around they wanted 15 dollars for. Fired the the old reloaded up

I clearly remember two years ago when everyone said I was panic buying and hoarding up a few flats of ammo in all my favorite chamberings.... 😀

jmez

WKR
Case of 8's. 10 boxes in a case. $8-$9 a box depending on where you get it.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I recently got Federal value packs of 100, #2 steel shot for $45 and boxes of Winchester drilock #2 steel for $17.85 a box. I thought those prices were extremely reasonable. Bought every one I could at those prices. I was on vacation when I found it. Pure luck.

I use lead on preserves and #2 or #3 steel in SD and some areas of Iowa for pheasant and ducks. Stuff is out there. You have to look for it and get lucky but it isn't an efficient process.

Last edited:

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I've been in 2 different Walmarts in different regions of Nebraska that had Prairie Storm 4's and 5's on the shelf this week. They go fast, but there were probably 200 boxes at the one store. It seems the shipments of pheasant loads, like duck loads, are going to be limited and when you see anything that'll work you better jump on it

oake

Lil-Rokslider
Found some 6 shot today at two different WalMarts in the area I live - purchased as many as I was allowed

Glad to have found some

OP
B

bdg848

WKR
Well, finally, this past 3 days I have found a decent selection and bought a bunch. With my trip in about a week, it couldn't come soon enough.

Another option is the academy monarch high brass dove loads #6. I had a box of old remington pheasant loads side by side and the loads were identical.

Laramie

WKR
Buy after the season when on sale and store for the following year... been doing that for 30 years. I pay about half of what others do who wait for the hunt. That said, if anyone need 12 gauge, I can probably spare a box if you are in a pinch.

hobbes

WKR
Half price after season was when there was ammo on the shelf. There won't be an extra pheasant loads to be sold at half price after this season, but I suppose I could be wrong.

A couple days ago I picked up 3 more boxes of Kent Fastlead 2 3/4", 1 3/8 oz #6, 1475 fps. Earlier in the year I picked up 3 boxes each of the same in #6 and #5 but 1 1/2 oz at 1415 fps. All were bought at $16.99. I think Kent shells were running a little less than that a couple years ago.

I would prefer the #5s last half of the season but the 6s will do the job. I like the Federal High Velocity at 1500 fps but I think they are going for $30 or so if you can even find them. I won't pay that, at least not yet.

Last edited:

illbell

FNG
You do know there is an unbelievable demand on all ammunition and Pheasant season is months away so main production is not on that....Also for at least the first part of season you don't need anything more than trap loads to kill pheasants.
Old thread, I know but I'm curious about this as I'm new to hunting and have only hunted pheasant a handful of times. Why a lighter shot in early season? Is it because they aren't fully feathered up?

Old thread, I know but I'm curious about this as I'm new to hunting and have only hunted pheasant a handful of times. Why a lighter shot in early season? Is it because they aren't fully feathered up?

I find that early season they’ll often hold tighter and your shots are closer so smaller shot works ok. But even late season there are days when they hold tight and you’re right on top of them when they get up, then other days they’re getting up a quarter mile in front of you and a rifle wouldn’t be enough.

jmez

WKR
Rodger's, order online. They have everything you need. Free shipping, great prices.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk