Pheasant numbers in South Dakota?

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
Good question, the state stopped their brood counts this year so no numbers will be published. IMO its strictly a political move and they will promote and advertise to beat hell. It will be interesting what out of state hunters that don't go to preserves and lodges will do. We had a good spring not too wet and not too dry so hatches should be ok and overall numbers up some from last year, that wont take much. I have relatives in central SD that ranch and they say numbers are up about 50% on their place.
wmd

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Good news. How far along is the harvest?

60-70% of beans are done, I'd say about 25-30% of corn, more in some areas. I also saw lots of sorghum & milo getting cut & some sunflowers along I-90 on the way out to hot springs and back from sioux falls friday and sunday.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
This is all great info and much appreciated. Thank you, Spur.

I'll be in the Gettysburg area for the opening week for my 1st time chasing birds in SoDak.

yojo.3

FNG
We finally had an easy enough winter for them and a pretty easy spring. So numbers are up from what ive noticed driving around. But then again, almost anything would be up from years past. Just hope we can get a few more years like this to really get the population back up. Maybe then ill go out and try to get a few birds.

jmez

WKR
That's the thing. SD natives have no clue what a bad year really is.

Bad years here are still stupid good to most.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Squincher

WKR
The first year I went I was with a group that had gone every year for a long time. At dinner the first night they were talking about how the numbers seemed to be down quite a bit. I saw more birds that day than in the last 5 years combined at home.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
This is all great info and much appreciated. Thank you, Spur.

I'll be in the Gettysburg area for the opening week for my 1st time chasing birds in SoDak.
There are still a lot of crops in around the Gettysburg area. Corn is probably only 10% done and sunflowers haven't even started. The next week should put a good dent in the corn fields but the sunflowers still have a ways to go before they are ready to cut. Bird numbers are definitely up from previous years. If your planning to hunt public land get to spots early as there will be a ton of people out

jmez

WKR
The first year I went I was with a group that had gone every year for a long time. At dinner the first night they were talking about how the numbers seemed to be down quite a bit. I saw more birds that day than in the last 5 years combined at home.
Bingo

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
There are still a lot of crops in around the Gettysburg area. Corn is probably only 10% done and sunflowers haven't even started. The next week should put a good dent in the corn fields but the sunflowers still have a ways to go before they are ready to cut. Bird numbers are definitely up from previous years. If your planning to hunt public land get to spots early as there will be a ton of people out
Thanks for that info. Yes we are going DIY on walk in and public land. Success or not, the experience of the chase on wild birds on the prairies with my father is the payoff.

Lytro

WKR
My girlfriend's family lives on the east side of the state, and her Dad said he hasn't seen the pheasant population this high in a long time.

PA Hunter

WKR
Last year I saw over a thousand in one week in December compared to zero real birds left in my state.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Birds are there to be had. Just got in from a quick walk with the dog. Snow is already getting deep pushing them out of the grass and into the cattails. Need a warm up otherwise it is gunna be a long winter.

j_volt

WKR
We hunted public land on 10/17, 10/18, and 10/19. Day 1 ended early due a skunk incident. We limited out on days 2 and 3. The hunting was great. It seemed like having so much corn out really helped.