Pheasant recipes?

Michael54

WKR
Anyone have any good pheasant recipes they would like to share with me? I mostly do a cajetory or smoked breasts wrapped in bacon. Looking for some new ideas.

btplass

Lil-Rokslider
I've been doing pheasant nuggets lately to get my 2 year old son interested in them. There's rarely leftovers.

Im interested in more creative options as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pound out the breast until they are flat and thin, roll with ham and cheese, dip in egg wash, roll in bread crumbs, bake on rack until crispy and done.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
Girl at work said they were having Pheasant Parm tonight - thought that sounded pretty good and might have to give it a try. Never really crossed my mind before.

Nuggets dipped in egg wash dipped in seasoned flour and fry em up. Just did this.

Attachments

• BBBE696E-11E0-4AF7-8EF6-4E8E203CE974.jpeg
    BBBE696E-11E0-4AF7-8EF6-4E8E203CE974.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 36

I10duck

FNG
Fajitas, gumbo, fricasseé. Look up any John Folse recipe using chicken or waterfowl and replace with pheasant

I’ve also thought about rubbing , injecting and deep frying like a turkey but haven’t done it yet.

We started spending a little bit more time cleaning birds; plucking vs skinning or breasting. There's a neat trick for removing the tendons out of the legs. Just lightly score with a knife around the joint. Bend sideways to break lose and then pull hard and the needle tendons come out with it. My wife who was a hard core white meat person couldn't believe how good the legs are and is now her favorite part. Makes me sick to think how many went to the cats on the farm over the years...

Favorite method to cook is spatch-cock on the grill or smoking. Make sure you brine before hand to help retain moisture when cooked.
Keep it simple: 1/8th cup kosher salt and 1/8 cup brown sugar dissolved in enough water to cover the bird. Add herbs of your choice to the brine for an added flavor element. Make sure to chill brine before adding bird, I add ice cubes. Keep in fridge for 6-12 hours. Make sure to rinse well after brine and then soak for 30 to 45min in fresh water to reduce saltiness. Leave on wire rack in refrigerator for 4-12 hours to allow skin to dry(results in more crispy skin)

Use a meat thermometer and don't over cook. It will be slightly pink when done. Let rest for 10 min uncovered before tearing in.

If you've got a food processor/blender you can kind of make a salmon dip with them. Basically just cook them salt and pepper. I then either strip them off the bone if I did it bone in or I take them and shred the meat. Add spices and cream cheese and the pheasant and hit it in a food processor. It's different but tastes great on crackers. Also works well if you smoke the pheasant or add liquid smoke.

my favorite way is to cut them into cubes (1-2") .
Take some honey and Heinz57 (sounds weird but it's wonderful!) and mix 1:1 in a bowl.
Marinate the phez in that concoction for a couple hours.
put the phez cubes on skewers alternating with pineapple chunks and slap them on the grill pouring the rest of the honey/heinz over the top.

daewer

FNG
pound the breast the breast good and flat, marinate over night (I use just store bought marinade), next day lay a piece of pepper jack cheese and jalapeños (optional). Roll up tight, wrap a piece of bacon or two making sure to cover the ends so the cheese doesn't melt out. Throw on the grill turning occasionally until the the bacon is done.

Look up “Italian pheasant”. IM sure theirs are different ones but start there and experiment

Google for best chicken stew or tagine recipes. Then just substitute your pheasant meat for the chicken. You'll love it. Sometimes I use 50% pheasant breasts / 50% boneless chicken thighs to add a bit more fat to the stew. Also helps that I can then say it's "majority chicken" or "majority pheasant" depending on who asks!

cut pheasant into bite size pieces.
dip in egg batter, whole eggs blended by hand.
then drop pieces in big Tupperware bowl full of flour and spices
(garlic salt, pepper, dill, and onion salt)...shake until pieces coated.
drop in Fry Daddy, deep fry in peanut oil, set at 435 degrees.
serve up with wild rice, sauteed mushrooms, buttered garlic bread and a great bottle of wine.

Last edited:
I used to just cube them up and fry with evo and lawry’s and then throw them in with fettuccine Alfredo. Last couple years all my upland game has been getting sliced in strips and deep fried. I’ll post again when I get a chance to look up the recipe I use for that. Marinate in hot sauce and a few other things is all I remember right off. I still have some partiridge in the freezer. I think I know what I’ll be cooking on the 4th now. Yum.

Tksd

FNG
We make pheasant dicks..
7lb pheasant
1lb beef or pork fat
2lb Jimmy Dean hot sausage
High mountain pepper blend jerky pack
To taste
Mustard seeds
High temp pepper jack cheese
Dried jalapenos

Stuff in 17-19mm cases and dry in oven.

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
-Filet the breasts and thighs out into 1" to 2" chunks or so.
-Marinate in Lawry's Garlic and Herb for 24 hours in the fridge.
-Remove pheasant from marinate and wrap in 1/2 slice of bacon and slice of Jalepeno
-Use a toothpick to hold the everything together
-Throw on open charcoal/gas grill until bacon and pheasant are fully cooked. (10-15 mins or so)
-ENSURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE. lol.
-You are now the most popular person in the group. Enjoy.