Pheasant shotgun

Thinking about picking up a new pheasant shotgun. I am trying to do some research. I want to stay around 1200 dollars or lower. What do you guys recommend???

Ten Bears

WKR
Keep your eye on Gunbroker. I missed a Beretta a400 and Browning Maxus Ultimate both new at the $1200 price point on no reserve auctions in the last month. Ended up with a new Benelli Ethos for $1350 shipped. Any of those are some great pheasant gun and attainable with some internet savvy.

MThuntr

WKR
Too many variables to say one over the other...I miss equally with semi auto and O/U. Fit is more important than style.

Having multiple upland bird guns I find myself reaching for my Miroku made Charles Daly over/under more often on nicer weather days and my cheapo Stoeger when the weather is wet or colder.

Go fondle a few and pick the one that fits best...I find some shotguns have a touch too much length of pull for my liking

If you are debating between O/U, semi or even a SxS or pump ask around if some buddies would let you try theirs and figure out what you like.

I have used them all and found that my benelli SBE fits me best (also adjustable) next is my CZ SxS or Remington 1100. I spent a lot of money on O/U shotguns over the years trying find one that fit me and never could. My buddy bought almost everyone one off of me because they all fit him. First figure out what style you want if you can find some to try out on some clays, then find a brand that pulls up on what you are aiming at and give it a try. It’s an investment spending that much and I wish I had put the effort into trying some before I settled in on what I liked and what fit me.

OP
F
So I have a Remington 1100, but it’s the magnum receiver not sure it will cycle light pheasant load. I also have a sbe 2 in max 4 that I use for ducks. I have a benelli super sport but that’s my skeet gun. Was looking at getting a dedicated upland gun

So I have a Remington 1100, but it’s the magnum receiver not sure it will cycle light pheasant load. I also have a sbe 2 in max 4 that I use for ducks. I have a benelli super sport but that’s my skeet gun. Was looking at getting a dedicated upland gun
Right on. I keep kicking the idea back and forth and getting an over under but always think back to when that extra shell came into play.

Laramie

WKR
Most dedicated pheasant rounds will cycle problem free. Only issues I could see is if you are shooting low brass stuff at pen raised birds. If you are hunting wild birds, I recommend high brass 3" shells in #4 or #5. They have just as much powder as your magnum duck loads and will cycle just fine.

I have 3 shotguns I use for pheasant hunting -

Browning Cynergy Feather. By far my favorite shotgun for upland. The feather version is more than what your budget is, but if you shop around you can find a cynergy cx for around $1200 ish.

Remington Versamax w/Woodtech Stock. Kind of heavy, but it swings awesome and I can’t believe how little recoil there is.

Franchi Affinity 3.5. For your budget, this is the direction I would go. Mine is camo and I usually only bust it out when there is crummy weather. It is quite a bit lighter than the versamax, has the same inertia system as the Benelli SBE3, without the flawed stock. Recoil is noticeably more than the versamax, but usually not noticeable when shooting game anyway.

CorbLand

WKR
The Franchi A3s are a great gun at an extremely good price. I steal my aunts 20 gauge any time I can.

manitou1

WKR
Keep in mind that a double gun has no action
/receiver like a pump or auto... thus you can have a 30" barrel(s) and the gun will be about the equivalent length of a 26" auto/pump.
Secondly, I love the safety aspect of a double. When crossing a ditch, creek, fence, etc you just break open the action... then close it once the obstacle is completed.