Pheasant shotgun

Billinsd

WKR
20 gauge will be ok for wild birds ?
With the right loads. Look up Randy Wakeman and 20 gauge pheasant loads. Also, see what he says about over and unders, he doesn't like them, because with two barrels you will get 2 different point of impacts. Randy has a GREAT wealth of knowledge and experience.

Bearsears

WKR
Keep in mind that a double gun has no action
/receiver like a pump or auto... thus you can have a 30" barrel(s) and the gun will be about the equivalent length of a 26" auto/pump.
Secondly, I love the safety aspect of a double. When crossing a ditch, creek, fence, etc you just break open the action... then close it once the obstacle is completed.
This.

I have two semis (a 1950's A5 and a 70's 1100) that never make it out anymore since I bought a CZ wingshooter elite 12ga. I hit much better with the O/U than a semi because they shoulder so much quicker and are balanced so much better. I also like having a tighter choke on my followup shots. I have to disagree with the above statement about O/U's point of impact difference. Ive patterned my gun with several loads and it hits the same spots with both barrels. Any quality O/U should do this. Though Im sure Randy is much more of an expert than me.

I love the safety aspects also. When I need to mess with my dog I love being able to break it open and know we are safe. I bought my CZ for 900 bucks and its a great gun.

For ammo and chokes I generally run #5 shot all season (though my buddy shoots 7s and does well surprisingly). Ive used most of the popular brands of ammo and I like Fiocchi Golden Pheasant the most. I shoot an improved cylinder with a modified second barrel early season and then I switch to a modified and improved modified or full for late season or windy days with spooky birds.

Last edited:
I've been carrying a Beretta AL-2 20ga 2 3/4" for everything that runs or flies from in or under bushes since the early '70s.

I've had an 870 Wingmaster 12 ga for almost as long. It's big and heavy, points like a 4X4, and can't do anything the Beraetta can't. So, it stays in the safe.

Buzby

WKR
You like a franchi instinct over a browning cynergy?
For the lower price range, I like the Franchi. I really like the Franchi SL with its aluminum frame, in 20ga at 5.5lbs!

If you’re going to spend the $2k to get into the “B” guns, I’m a Beretta Silver Pigeon guy. They fit me well and I love how compact the frame is. The Browning citori is an under lug design and has a slightly taller frame. Still a hell of a nice gun for $2k. The Cynergy feels like a blend of the two to me. Fits like a citori, but slimmer. Personally I don’t care for the looks as much. The Brownings are made in Japan. Nothing wrong with japanese manufacturing. They make some great guns. Something about the Beretta being Italian made just seems right for a double barrel though.

I’m still convinced a 20ga is the only way to go for an upland gun. I’ve killed wild pheasant from a good way off with a 20 that were dead when they hit the ground. Buy good shells. The birds I’ve missed with a 20, I would have missed with a 12.
16, and 28ga shells and guns are harder to find under normal circumstances, and 28 is more expensive. Great if you reload though.

Benelli m2 or SBe. I pheasant hunting in Kansas once a year for almost 20 years now. Usually a if crew and a variety of guns. Year after year, the Italian guns (Benelli, beretta, etc.) have few problems.

Ole Ben, my m2 just keeps on going. He’s dirty, a title beat up and he just goes bang.

Biggie

FNG
20 gauge will be ok for wild birds ?
I primarily target quail but usually have 20-30 roosters that get in the way every year. Load up with lead 5s or 6s incase I run into a rooster and switch to 7.5s when I'm working single quail. Usually end up shooting a handful of roosters with those 7.5s as well. It's been my all around gun for a while now and I've shot a couple hundred geese with it using steel 2s and 3s.

wildcat33

WKR
If I go semi I think 20 gauge

if I go o/u I think 12

thoughts?

Im a big 20ga fan. Whether its semi auto or O/U they are lighter and faster. With good shells there is almost nothing they cant do. There is truly something special about a well made 20ga O/U. I like the berretta 686 silver pigeon. If money was flowing freely a Fabarm Elos would be high on my list.

Bearsears

WKR
I primarily target quail but usually have 20-30 roosters that get in the way every year. Load up with lead 5s or 6s incase I run into a rooster and switch to 7.5s when I'm working single quail. Usually end up shooting a handful of roosters with those 7.5s as well. It's been my all around gun for a while now and I've shot a couple hundred geese with it using steel 2s and 3s.
Sounds like we need to team up. We've struggled to get on birds in Kansas and Nebraska the last few years.

OP
F
So I think I am going to go with a 20 gauge montefeltro .

I held the montefeltro and ethos this morning and they felt the same to me. I can’t justify an extra 1000 on the ethos when they weight and feel the same.

I’ll save the over under for next year

WRO

WKR
My favorite autoloader is a 391 Beretta in 20ga, imho the 391 is the epitome of Beretta autoloaders.

I've owned 3 benelli autoloaders, none of them fit me well and I didn't like them in the end.

mdp22

FNG
All the research I am doing tonight it seems the benelli montefltro 20 gauge keeps popping up over and over again
I purchased the Benelli Ethos 20 ga. after shouldering both. Ethos fit better but was quite a bit money. I grew up in South Dakota and hunted waterfowl and pheasants with a Wingmaster made in 1962, still have it and have never been undergunned with a 20 ga.

Billinsd

WKR
So I think I am going to go with a 20 gauge montefeltro .

I held the montefeltro and ethos this morning and they felt the same to me. I can’t justify an extra 1000 on the ethos when they weight and feel the same.

I’ll save the over under for next year
I'd go with the longer barrel one. It probably doesn't matter and I probably can't tell, but I got both length barrels. The one I initially bought had the shorter barrel, but I'm OCD and bought the longer barrel just because. Also realize that, that Montefeltro will kick some, especially with heavy loads, because it's inertia driven and it's light. Also, google the Benelli click. You don't need to worry about it, unless you fall when you are hunting and jar the bolt like I sometimes do chukar or mearns quail hunting!!

Billinsd

WKR
My favorite autoloader is a 391 Beretta in 20ga, imho the 391 is the epitome of Beretta autoloaders.

I've owned 3 benelli autoloaders, none of them fit me well and I didn't like them in the end.
It's all about the fit. I much prefer the fit and simplicity of the Benelli's, but like the recoil reduction of gas driven semis, or used to when I had sever shoulder tendinitis.

Benelli 20ga autoloader. A bare bones black M2 will be 6lbs loaded and just the ticket. I’ve killed over a 1000 pheasants with mine. I like carlsons extended LM choke for pointed birds.
I also have a Franchi Instinct SL that’s in your price range as well. It is also 20ga and swings like a dream. If O/U’s are your thing.
I stopped using 12ga because I was getting too many mangled birds and it’s just not necessary over a pointer. The extra weight is also unwelcome.