Pheasant shotgun

WRO

WKR
It's all about the fit. I much prefer the fit and simplicity of the Benelli's, but like the recoil reduction of gas driven semis, or used to when I had sever shoulder tendinitis.
I got my 391 fitted at a local shop for 60.00, fits perfectly now.

The recoil system for the action and the benelli click we're the deal beakers for me.

I don't really like the a400 either to be honest, Especially in the 12 ga.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I am so on the fence!

benelli montefeltro
Browning cyynergy field
Beretta a400

( 20ga )

I don't think there's anything wrong with any of those 3, however they are all a fair amount different.

A twin barrel can be nice for the ability to have different chokes. A inertia benelli is about bullet proof and gives you an additional shot over the cynergy, likely not a big deal for upland.

The A-400 is a really nice, soft shootin' 3 shot gun. I don't think it will be as reliable as the other 2, tho I'm not calling it unreliable. Just the nature of the gas system compared to the others. I think it's one of the more reliable gas systems out there.

WRO

WKR
Been looking around, they sure went up. I'd like to find a 20 ga A-400 without the kick-off.

I have the 28, feel the need for a matching 20.
Did you pin your firing pin in the 28? There's a keeper in there that hot 28 ga loads will break occasionally..

I know a couple guys who've broken theirs, firing keeper pin is pretty weak.

So got mine out and broke it down. Everything looks fine, not that you ever see an indication with a pin, they just fracture.

To be certain you are referring to this correct?
Screenshot_20210516-122839.png

It's at least in a spot that easy to keep tabs on.

lacire

FNG
I’ve narrow it down to those three I think for sure haha
I’ve been shooting a 1968 Browning Auto 5 20ga magnum with a 28” Miroku barrel with invector chokes for years, it has killed chucker, quail, Wilson snipe, band tail pigeon and turkey’s. It’s a major ordeal to take it apart and clean it which I’ve done a few times over the years. It swings great but at 7lbs unloaded it is a heavy 20ga. in today’s market. I also own a new Benelli Ethos in 20ga. with 26” barrels, I can strip this down and totally clean it in about 20 minutes, swings great too and at 5lbs 12oz I think I can carry it all day. The only thing it’s killed so far is clays and I haven’t notice the recoil any more than the Browning. My son shoots a Beretta A400 Explor in 20ga 28” barrel and it weighs in at 6lbs 3oz. Nice gun, being gas operated it does get pretty dirty by the end of the season and takes quite a bit longer to clean it. For myself I like the simplicity of the Benelli inertia design over the Beretta gas system. I think you’ll enjoy the Montefeltro, just my two cents.

Last edited:
Thinking about picking up a new pheasant shotgun. I am trying to do some research. I want to stay around 1200 dollars or lower. What do you guys recommend???
I spent last year going through a multitude of shotguns, couple over unders, semi autos, 12 and 20g. I ended up settling on a browning sweet 16. It was 5 1/2 pounds pointed awesome, more oompf than a 20 gauge

love the speed load option. I know the downside is ammo can be a little more expensive, but I never had trouble finding it and at a $1 or $2 more than a 12 gauge for a box of shells I feel it was well worth it. I love that shotgun

lacire

FNG
Yah, I looked at them and the new Browning A5‘s are nice, nothing like the older all steel made in Belgium Auto 5 like I have. After using one for years I like the magazine cutoff on the old Browning. Hope you get out and kill a lot of birds with your 16.

Last edited: