Phelps Amp

I recently bought the green and gray reeds. I found them both very easy to use with great sounds. I do like the bugle better on the gray reed but would not hesitate on the green. They both fit well and do not make me gag like most reeds. The only thing bad I have is the taste. They both have a real bitter taste. Just for reference I also use Gooserbat, Wapiti River and the trusty Carlton's 2.5.

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my phelps calls in last week. I got the green amp and that bitter taste was the first thing I noticed. That bitter taste isn't a deal breaker for me.... they sound awesome and that's all that matters for me

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the gray amp. I haven't noticed the bitter taste. I've used turkey calls but haven't had much luck with elk sounds yet (first year in elk country). The amp was really easy to use right away. I felt pretty good with it by the time I got home from the store!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
I like the gray a lot. I will be using a good mix of the amp and Carlton this year with the WR being change of pace.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, I always wonder if the dyes they use or the glue and everything is toxic at all, because I'm chewing on mine for 12+ hours a day throughout the season.

PF_JM

FNG
The description on the Phelps site mentions the bitter taste. I'm Curious to know if the AMP calls are substantially easier to use than other calls? I have been trying for quite some time to use diaphragm calls but just can't make them work. I've gotten some of the REEL game calls but would like to be able to bugle without switching calls.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm Curious to know if the AMP calls are substantially easier to use than other calls? I have been trying for quite some time to use diaphragm calls but just can't make them work. I've gotten some of the REEL game calls but would like to be able to bugle without switching calls.

The funny thing is........I've always used Carlton's calls because they are the easiest for me to use. They go in and the sounds just come out easily without any thinking or fidgeting with the diaphragm. So when I ordered some older Phelps calls, I had to choose between the large and small. So I measured the Carltons and they are exactly the same as the Phelps large......same shape, size, everything seems the same. But when I try to use those, I can't make a sound. I have to move it around and force a call out. But his smalls work fine for me. Go figure.

kicker338

WKR
The description on the Phelps site mentions the bitter taste. I'm Curious to know if the AMP calls are substantially easier to use than other calls? I have been trying for quite some time to use diaphragm calls but just can't make them work. I've gotten some of the REEL game calls but would like to be able to bugle without switching calls.

I've been a rock mountain game call fan for quite a while, got 2 amp calls just to try, a much easier diaphragm to use.

Emill

FNG
I own 5 amp calls, the green is the only bitter one of the bunch. Phelps calls work best for me. I've tried primos and the mellow yellow from rocky men.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just looked at these AMP calls. They have that raised dome like the Primos ones. I don't like anything with the raised dome or metal piece like RM does.

OP
C
/\/\ I saw that too. Right after I ordered the 2. I may pick up a few more silver.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Out of curiosity as that is what elk hunters do I tried a couple of the AMPs and give them a thumbs up on ease of use, sounds and sound control👍 Will be in pack come September. There is a subtle odd taste but nothing bad

OP
C
The dome on these are not bad. I don't like the primos or Rocky Mountain domed calls. The amp is not ba and I don't notice anything different