Phoenix area vacation home purchase advice

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider

Hey guys,

Im looking to purchase a vacation home in phoenix area, it will be something I would rent out via airbnb vrbo etc..
I need advice... which area is the best for vacation rentals and filling the calender? Scottsdale seems to be the top area of choice,
Personally i like to be outside of town a bit where its a little quieter and you can have a view.
What are some basic amenities that are a must for most people when renting a house?
I dont live in Arizona and would probably need to hire a property managment company. What do they take care of?
Will these companies take care of everything from renting the home out to keepin up on maintenance?
Anybody have any vacation rental managment companies they work with that they would recommend?

Thanks!

Hey, I've had similar ideas about Phoenix. I currently have a long term rental on the west side of town and would love to have another home as a vacation/airbnb (or a duplex woth one LT renter and a airbnb on the other). Like everywhere, prices are high though and returns are a little low.

As for short term rentals, from what I know, prop mgmt will depend on scope but you'll be looking at 20-30% in mgmt fees.

Also, I would look to ask the HOAs about their rental policy as some may not allow STRs. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need a lot more detailed information on goals to give better advice…but as an AirBnB host that stays in AirBnBs (most frequently in the Phoenix area) I have a pretty good grasp on the topic.

Pick a place YOU want to vacation at first and foremost. The things that will matter to you will matter to your guests.

Personally I would look around Cave Creek or NE Scottsdale. Otherwise Tempe. You will get a lot higher quality property for your $ in Mesa, but that is obviously due to a less prime location.

JiminAZ

FNG
So the bigger dollar renters come for Barrett Jackson and other events at WestWorld, the Phoenix Open golf tournament, Horse shows, and spring training. The first three are in the northeast corner of town, spring training is mostly down around Mesa/Chandler.

Get ready for $3-400/sq foot prices. Not sure it will pencil.

I live in a neighborhood near Westworld/the golf BS with big lots, 3-4000 sq foot homes. There is one home that has been a VRBO rental and everyone hates it. Party Barn. A lot of pressure has been exerted to get that BS under control. Don't mind a VRBO nearby but also don't want to be listening to a bunch of drunks yelling and cursing, with music blaring all weekend either. Thankfully it's not over my back fence but if it was I'd be your biggest nightmare as a landlord. It's a family neighborhood dangit.

Think about the size of home and the demographic of your renter before you choose a part of town. Big houses invite larger groups with more propensity for hard core partying, damage, etc.

Last edited:

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
PHX and Snottsdale both have ordinances against short term rentals so be mindful of that. Most developments here have HOAs, which also restrict short term rentals.

Since you will be renting your property short term, please do not buy in my 'hood. :D

Good luck,

Eddie

AZ8

WKR
Gold Canyon.

Nice scenery within minutes to small game hunting. Deer hunting close too. Tons of hiking trails that take you back into the Superstition Wilderness area.

Lots of open BLM/State Trust/Forest Service land practically in your backyard. Easy UTV/ATV trail access.

Nice homes, golf courses and away from the Phoenix/Mesa metro area. You’re out of the main cities, but still close to live a comfortable life with all the amenities.

Less than 30 minutes to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway airport.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My wife and I were just out there in Dec and early Jan looking at/for potential winter homes. I'm a country guy so need some space, but we did look at a few with 1+ acre lots in Scottsdale and surrounding areas, including Fountain Hills. Things are definitely high right now. I'm going to wait things out for a bit but also check Florida for some inland deals.

That Phoenix area is booming, but I still can't ponder just how they get enough water for all that growth. Saw some places further out that have been trucking water in. Not going to do that.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I were just out there in Dec and early Jan looking at/for potential winter homes. I'm a country guy so need some space, but we did look at a few with 1+ acre lots in Scottsdale and surrounding areas, including Fountain Hills. Things are definitely high right now. I'm going to wait things out for a bit but also check Florida for some inland deals.

That Phoenix area is booming, but I still can't ponder just how they get enough water for all that growth. Saw some places further out that have been trucking water in. Not going to do that.
We can handle the water because the residential land is converted farm land and agriculture. Agriculture requires more water per square foot than residential does. So as long as farmers just sell out the land and retire from it, the water demand doesn't go up. But if the farmers cash out, then go buy again further out, it does tax the water demand. Some farmers just cash out and retire, some cash out and start all over again further out. That's how the water demand doesn't increase at an exponential rate. It has gone up over time, but not as much as one would think.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Go to Wickenburg or AJ. The city is too crowded for newcomers. Housing prices here have gone up exponentially over the last 5 years. Plenty of property mgmt companies here to take money, dime a dozen.... especially at these rental prices.

I dont own a vacation rental so take my following opinions for what they are… opinions. I have lived in the Phx Metro area my entire life. Some of the advice that you have been given on here makes sense. If you plan to use the home for yourself a considerable portion of the year then buy somewhere you want to live. That may be outskirts like Gold Canyon or Cave Creek, etc. If you are only gonna be there for two weeks a year then maybe don’t prioritize something 30 minutes from hunting spots vs. 1 hour, and in turn sacrifice the quality and robustness of the rental. Spring training is prime vacation rental season and doesnt conflict with hunting times. Dont overlook northwest Mesa near the Cubs new facility. Anything off that 202 and 101 intersection gets you close to the Cubs and they invade the valley for 3 months (many never leave). Lots of access to Tempe, Scottsdale, Phx and outskirts of town all within 15-20 minutes of that zone.

i feel like jay scott has done a podcast on this pretty recently. maybe look into some of his past episodes pretty sure there was soem real estate related ones

I'd contact Jay Scott as this is kind of his thing. He lists all his contact info on his goHUNT profile.

I lived in Scottydale for 2.5 years after I graduated college. Great place to live, but my midwesterner wife couldn't take the heat.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I lived in Scottydale for 2.5 years after I graduated college. Great place to live, but my midwesterner wife couldn't take the heat.
While we were there just a couple weeks ago, there was a freeze warning. Then I saw it was 80 in Florida at the same time, so started thinking Florida instead of AZ for a winter home. FL has better tax advantages anyway.

While we were there just a couple weeks ago, there was a freeze warning. Then I saw it was 80 in Florida at the same time, so started thinking Florida instead of AZ for a winter home. FL has better tax advantages anyway.
Florida is better for someone looking for warmth. Arizona has some perks that Florida doesn't for those interested. Namely January archery deer hunting and skiing, both within a couple hour's drive. But Florida has the better fishing during the winter. Just depends what you're looking for.