Phoenix travel tips?

Wife and I are traveling to Phoenix the first week of April to celebrate my birthday and get away from the kids for a few days. Anyone from the area or travel there previously that can recommend anything we should do or see? Will be there for four days.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Depends on what you are into, there is lots of hiking opportunities, lots of typical touristy opportunities, great dining, wineries, zoos, just really depends what you are into.

fmyth

WKR
Wife and I are traveling to Phoenix the first week of April to celebrate my birthday and get away from the kids for a few days. Anyone from the area or travel there previously that can recommend anything we should do or see? Will be there for four days.
What area of the Valley?

OP
danwattsmessick
Little of everything, really. Probably like to spend a day doing "touristy" stuff, a day or so out in nature exploring, and then we'd have another day for anything else really. We just like to go new places and explore a bit, just wondering if any insiders have places we should definitely try and check out. Not really into the night life, but we do like good food and watering holes.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Go to canyon lake and take the big boat ride. I haven’t done the tour but it’s a cool place. Might see sheep and deer. Cool drive out there and hiking opportunities as well.

We checked out some kind of rock you could climb up in and look out of. Pretty cool. We also like to do Stadium Tours if they are open. Diamond backs have a cool stadium with a pool. Not sure if they will be doing them with COVID. Baseball stadiums are cool to tour through

If you’ve never hiked Camelback mountain, it might be worth your three hours. It was a pretty challenging hike, but pretty fun (at least to me). Also try and hit up (no pun intended) some spring training games. If you’ve never done top golf and like golfing, that is pretty fun. Lots of fun things to do. Good luck and have fun!!

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Spring Training is definitely happening, you'll just have to check StubHub for tickets. Tickets for the stadiums in the good part of town (Talking Stick, Scottsdale, Sloan Park) are available, but at a premium due to there only being 2-3k fans being allowed in. Stadiums on the westside (Maryvale, Goodyear, Camelback Ranch) have cheaper tickets....but it's the westside. You'll have to wear a mask at any game unless you're actively eating or drinking, so the key there is to always have a beer in your hand.

For touristy stuff, you could go to Sedona, but it's a trap. It will be crazy busy around town. However, the hikes are great. Oak Creek, Bell Rock, etc. Locally, I'd skip the Botanical Gardens (nice because it's in town), and head east to Boyce Thompson Arboretum in Superior. About an hour outside of town, but well worth the drive if you're into that. Or if you're into golf, that's pretty much everywhere around here. Can't go more than 2 miles without running into a course.

If you want a good hike and to get outdoors, check out Fossil Springs up off of the 260. You'll need a permit after April 1st (otherwise not needed in March), but it's worth the drive. Bring a fly rod if you are into that (barbless and artificial). Plenty of other hikes up north as well, but keep in mind the weather is completely different only 90 min north of here. Shed hunting will be in full swing come April, so hiking up around the Mogollon rim will give you an opp for some elk sheds. Probably one of my favorite things to do that time of year.

Local lakes, I'd suggest Saguaro and Canyon. Both are on the eastside and offer decent bass fishing. All of the bass are up shallow on beds right now prepping for the spawn. Check out AZ Fishing Guides if you want to book a trip. Great group of guys who will put you on some big bass. If you do any mountain biking, I'd suggest National Trail at South Mountain or Trail 100 in North PHX. I regularly ride both and those are my two local favorites. If the beach cruisers are more your thing, ride the canal in Biltmore/Arcadia and hit some local restaurants for some food/drink.

Restaurants are open and busy. Plenty of great choices in Downtown/Uptown PHX, Scottsdale, Tempe. Tons of local breweries all over the valley. Eats recommendations that are some of my go-to's and I'd suggest:

BBQ - Little Miss in Sunnyslope
New Mexican - Richardsons in Uptown
Thai - Glai Baan just south of the Biltmore
Steakhouse - Steak 44 in Arcadia or Durant's in Midtown
Seafood - Chula in Uptown (Huss Brewery is right next door)
Patio - Wilderness Brewery in Downtown, Pomelo in Uptown, Chelsea's Kitchen in Arcadia

All in all, PHX is a huge city and really spread out. Plenty to do here, so it's good to have a plan (but don't move here, it's getting wayyyy too crowded. hahaha just kidding).

If your into golf, the rates are better in April and it's a fun place to get in a round

def90

WKR
If you have any interest in architecture Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin West is a must see.

Goose2345

FNG
If your a baseball fan and like a great steak check out don and Charlie’s in Scottsdale! We usually hit spring training every year and make it a point to have a reservation to eat there the first and last night we are there worth checking out!

OP
danwattsmessick
Just wanted to say thanks for all the ideas, guys.

Wife and I had a great time.

Had a hiccup with the rental car agency and ended up renting a pickup from a U-Haul close to our resort to drive around in. They charge by the mile, so we didn't end up driving around as much as we had planned but we still got in some good times.

I have to say, coming from Washington state I appreciated the folks who knew how to drive on the freeway. All in all it was a great trip and we're already planning another when we can bring our kiddos down too.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Dicks Hideaway is my favorite restaraunt there, I think I origionally heard about it here on rokslide, I've been half a dozen times now. The Richardsons combo is really good.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Dicks Hideaway is my favorite restaraunt there, I think I origionally heard about it here on rokslide, I've been half a dozen times now. The Richardsons combo is really good.
Been in the valley 15 years and never heard of Dick's so thanks.

And even though I've not been there yet, I already love the place. Anybody want to guess why? :D

Eddie

Attachments

• NKA.PNG
    NKA.PNG
    785.5 KB · Views: 31

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Been in the valley 15 years and never heard of Dick's so thanks.

And even though I've not been there yet, I already love the place. Anybody want to guess why? :D

Eddie
It's a cool place, I believe it used to be the office of some high power lawyer guy, the first time I went I really had a hard time finding it, I guess thats why its a hideaway. Theres a brewery across the street and some cool mountains, its in a part of the city I never go to unless I'm going there specifically.

I love the Big Az! Next time you go, head up to Flagstaff and be sure to stop in Sedona along the way. There is so much to see in Arizona that you could do a trip based on activities only, climate only, scenery, etc, etc. I’ve been making multiple trips a year out there for about 5 years just to metal detect for gold. Took the wife to Sedona last fall and now we commonly discuss what it would take to move to Flagstaff! Lol..