Phones in the field

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are two ways I'm aware of for charging your phone in the backcountry 1) solar charger 2) battery pack. I use topomaps app personally on my iPhone and neotreks if I'm worried about land ownership. The Delorme inreach app has a built in map app that isn't too bad as well. Also, if you turn your phone in airplane mode and keep Bluetooth on for pairing with inreach, you probably will have to charge your phone every 4 days or so.

dotman

WKR
I usually just take a fully charged phone and keep it off, I'll only turn it on to make a call at night or where I know I'll have signal. Half the time I like to keep this to every 2 days for battery life and my wife is a little long winded at times :)

wapitibob

WKR
The phone GPS apps are fine for a GPS app. BCN has good maps for the Android. Huntinggpsmaps, not so much for either of their phone offerings. Personal preference of course...
The problem I have with both, is I Internet Scout every day and neither of those companies have a PC front end for that. I'll keep my GPS for now.

I have been using Gaia GPS on my iPhone this year and I am really happy with it. I tried it a couple times last year and wasn't that impressed but a recent update made it much better. I even took to leaving my Etrex Vista at home because everywhere I went I found Gaia could get a lock.

If you shut cellular data off or just go into airplane mode it saves a lot on battery juice in the mountains.

Be sure to download an area you are going to before you get there if you think that area has questionable data connectivity.

So my phone is my maps, GPS, camera, video camera, communications home (with InReach) and ballistics computer all in one package.

As far as charging I did try to use a solar panel for a bit, but sunny days in the fall in North Idaho are not real common so I have switched over entirely to using a battery pack.

The Mophie Juice pack powerstation pro is only 6000mah, which was pretty good when I got it a couple years ago, but there is a better one for less money now that has double the charge for the same weight. I forget the name of it but it was mentioned on another thread concerning batteries.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Well this education is certainly worth the price of admission. In a nutshell, what's the best application for InReach and when is it unnecessary?

How is InReach in real life? Anyone have personal experience?

I have used it a handful of times in the backcountry this year. It almost payed for it self when I misplaced the truck key, five miles deep in the wilderness 2 states away from the spare key, it was great to know that I had the ability to text the wife and have her overnight the key to the local post office if I didn't find the key even though I had no cell service. Also the tracks feature is really handy for both the wife and me. The wife can see exactly where I am when I have it turned on. For me if I am in new country I can go back and look at where I went on a decent map. Any other questions just shoot.

boom

WKR
i love my phone. i am a relatively freshly married. i'm actually still in the place where i miss my wife. (at least for the first few days :D).

i enjoy calling her and telling her of my adventures. my last loooong trip in. it was brutal without cell service. my group agreed to share a sat phone for the next trip in. at least the ones in the group not looking at the trip as a chance to escape the nagging wife.

one friend tells me to back up his "lie" and tell his wife, "yup we had no cell service"..:D