Photo metadata

Jeepers87

FNG
Good day fellow hunters! As the hunting season is in its prime, I thought I’d bring up photo postings. Sorry if this hampers some of the lurkers strategies, to each third their own, but I wanted to share some info on meta data. As public land hunting is becoming more and more competitive to draw tags, fill tags, and scout those places holding those precious animals, it would make sense that once those odds are beat that we share photos of our hard earned success. Just consider though that directly posting your photo if you don’t save it to some other file type can make it easy to grab the gps coordinates on where that animal was shot scouted, or what have you.
Not knocking folks who pull thst data to help in making decisions where to camp and hunt, but I know some folks who aren’t as tech savvy may not realize they are giving away a honey hole or not so I wanted to PSA.

thoughts from the crowd on this?
JP

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Most websites strip the exif data (Rokslide included as far as I know). I don’t post hunting pics to social media but I think Facebook and Instagram strip it too. Biggest concern would be if you’re texting a photo to someone. I turn of location services for my camera on my iPhone to avoid issues.

Rock-o

WKR
Some phones no longer store the data by default. And some web sites strip the data when uploading. Rokslide strips the data. I have stripped all of mine for years. Regardless of any of that, yes, I absolutely agree with you.

OP
J

Jeepers87

FNG
Agreed, rokslide does a good job stripping that data, however I know some other hunting forums don’t, and many folks are members of multiple forums. I agree with sharing photos with family and friends though, I go in and deactivate it. I’ve even seen some of the older outfitter pages who post their successes not scrubbing
As a humorous example, my dad sent me some photos of him slaying crappie once at a time when other were struggling, and I sniped out his honey hole using the data. I’m sure there are ethic warriors who would Argue the validity of using said data, but with some older folks like my father who just want to share their success without realizing they are giving away where they were and when, I figured maybe save some good hearted folks from doing the same.

I started this thread on the same subject not too long ago.

OXN939

WKR
If you post, always make sure it's a screenshot rather than the original file. 100% eliminates these concerns with metadata.