Photo of Rifle Parts: What would you build?

OutdoorAg

WKR
Here’s what I’ve got:

-Stock: Manners EHT w/Rem Varm inlet
-Bolt: Tikka w/magnum bolt face
-Magazine: HCA billet mag for long rounds
-Action: Tikka
-Silencer: TBAC Ultra 7 6.5

-Barrel: To be decided...

I didn’t draw any of my tag apps, so I’m going to do the responsible thing and drown my sorrows in a rifle build.

Given all of the above components...what barrel would you order? What should I build?

I’ll tell you that my gut is a 6.5 SAUM with either HCA light hunter or a Carbon6 feather weight barrel. Both should fit the Manners EHT inlet.

Could also go PRC. Or 6 Creed. Or any number of the 6’s.

That said, I’m intrigued by the 6.5 SAUM shooting the heavies around 3000 out of a 22” tube.

And go.

41C64475-9AA9-46BD-A847-EC9B4B544033.jpeg

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
Standard boltfaces are out since you have a mag bolt face. I'd go with the saum case. I'd prefer 7mm but doesn't look like thatd work with your suppressor.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
Standard boltfaces are out since you have a mag bolt face. I'd go with the saum case. I'd prefer 7mm but doesn't look like thatd work with your suppressor.

I should have clarified...

I have standard bolt face and magnum.

And yes, my pref is 6.5 and under so I can continue to use my current supressor. Future purchase will be a .30 cal for all around use.

6.5 saum .298 neck .120 fb for the 140s around 3100 or throat it a bit longer for something around the 150 range but your gonna run outta mag length. I’m setting at 2.925 on the 140s going 3160

Here’s what I’ve got:

I didn’t draw any of my tag apps, so I’m going to do the responsible thing and drown my sorrows in a rifle build.

Given all of the above components...what barrel would you order? What should I build?

I’ll tell you that my gut is a 6.5 SAUM with either HCA light hunter or a Carbon6 feather weight barrel. Both should fit the Manners EHT inlet.

That said, I’m intrigued by the 6.5 SAUM shooting the heavies around 3000 out of a 22” tube.

And go.

View attachment 296938
I love my Tikka 6.5 saum I've been stacking bulls and bucks with it for 5 years.
Recently I rebarreled it with a 16" barrel and I'm still getting 2960 with 140 Bergers, and 2775 with 156 EOLs.
It sounds amazingly quiet with my 9" suppressor.

I'd get a 7.5 twist #4 or #5 fluted ss barrel throated for 156 Bergers, I'll bet a 20" barrel would still get you north of 2900 with that bullet.
I'm not a fan of CF wrapped barrels, and at 22" they don't save you any weight

Do the barrel profiles you mentioned have enough diameter to take 5/8-24 threads for your suppressor? If not you should ask Bartlein about getting a barrel similar to the one of the threaded Barrett Fieldcrafts. That'll keep weight way down and still give you the threads you need. I'm pretty sure Bartlein can do it.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
6.5 saum .298 neck .120 fb for the 140s around 3100 or throat it a bit longer for something around the 150 range but your gonna run outta mag length. I’m setting at 2.925 on the 140s going 3160

Using the HCA magazine should allow for using the loooong 6.5 bullets in the 6.5 SAUM:

I just need to do a little more research and see if I can get away with a 22" barrel and still squeeze 3000fps out of the 150+ grain 6.5 bullets.

Using the HCA magazine should allow for using the loooong 6.5 bullets in the 6.5 SAUM:

I just need to do a little more research and see if I can get away with a 22" barrel and still squeeze 3000fps out of the 150+ grain 6.5 bullets.

My 2 25" bartlein SAUM barrels have been happiest around 3050-3070 FPS with 140s and h1000. A PRC would be nice too but I'd make sure you are using a reamer with a little more clearance above the web than the standard SAAMI reamer to avoid clickers.

Do the barrel profiles you mentioned have enough diameter to take 5/8-24 threads for your suppressor? If not you should ask Bartlein about getting a barrel similar to the one of the threaded Barrett Fieldcrafts. That'll keep weight way down and still give you the threads you need. I'm pretty sure Bartlein can do it.
I think most barrel makers can do a custom contour for you but last I heard bartlein is 10+ months out on barrel orders. I recently did this type of contour by picking a slightly larger krieger contour they had on the shelf and paying extra to have them contour it down but leave the muzzle larger for threads. They weren't willing take off as much material as I would have preferred but still got it close to my desired target weight. The machining was kind of rough with little ridges rather than perfectly smooth but that doesn't bother me none if it shoots well. Turn around time was very fast and they were good to work with. I'd probably see if Krieger has something close on the shelf or give benchmark a call and see what their turn around time would be.

AkRyan

WKR
Will this be a hunting rifle or plinking? Imo if your already thinking 30cal for future why not sell the 6.5 can and order a .30. Seems like your letting your suppressor dictate what your building rather than building what you really want.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
Will this be a hunting rifle or plinking? Imo if your already thinking 30cal for future why not sell the 6.5 can and order a .30. Seems like your letting your suppressor dictate what your building rather than building what you really want.

Hunting.

I’ll never dump the 6.5 can. Will always have plenty of 6.5 and below cals to make this can useful. And I also kinda feel like a 150ish bullet pushed in the 2900-3000 speed will do anything in NA at normal ish hunting distances.

Here’s what I’ve got:

And go.

View attachment 296938
I just picked up my first full custom from my gunsmith this weekend. It's similar to what you're trying to put together. I was trying to keep the weight as low as possible. I have the CB TBAC, my gunsmith timed the 9/16x24 break. There's just enough OD on a Lilja #3 for that thread pitch, which is the smallest safe thread pitch for the CB breaks (I talked to the guys in the shop at TBAC). Bare rifle came in at 6lb 3oz.

6.5 PRC
Defiance ANTI XM length Action
Defiance Custom Aluminum Bottom Metal
Lilja #3 Contour Barrel, 22 "
Vortex Spiral Fluting by Paul @ Pro Precision
Manners EH 3
Triggertech Special
TBAC Ultra 7

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
d9191986929390dab7c51db1375b1d59.jpg

763f83307f4a13085df71561a6b2a27f.jpg

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
Stick with the SAUM, seems like that is what you really want and it will serve you well. I really like the AG Alpine Hunters I’ve used and is what I was planning on ordering for my Tikka build. I am planning to go with a Proof on mine, as all the proof barreled guns I’ve shot were very accurate and they are a MT company. Supporting in state companies is high on my list.

Good luck with whatever you go with and look forward to seeing it posted when it’s done.