Photo questions we received from another forum

This was in regards to mirrorless cameras

Here are the questions:
1. What would be a decent discussion of the Big Three- Nikon, Sony, Canon for both crop sensor and full frame be like? What would be entry, mid-level, and top level cameras for those brands? Would you add Lumix to the mix?

2. What would you recommend for a durable, digital Rangefinder such as the Fugifilm X100S for hunting and the outdoors. Leica is too expensive. -

Here is my response

Things have changed drastically in the photo industry. The "Big 3" are now the Big 4. Canon (By far), Sony and then Olympus/Nikon. When you look at wilderness and birding photography in crop sensor cameras then Olympus is #1 by far. Panasonic is catching up very quickly. We hope to be a Panasonic dealer again in early 2024. I don't have enough info to bring them into this conversation yet as this time of year leaves little time to "study"

The most popular set up is the Olympus OM-5 with the 14-150mm (28-300mm in full frame) Both the camera and the lens are weatherproof. Most of the competition in crop sensor are not. Sony crop sensor lenses are not and most of their bodies are not. Same with Canon.
The Olympus also has the BEST image stabilization, focuses the fastest and is the smallest and lightest. Very helpful when you are back packing and every ounce counts.
Any of the crop sensors will produce fantastic poster size prints.

In full frame the best value is the Nikon Z5 with the 24-200mm lens. Excellent image stabilization, weatherproof and has dual memory slots. Lots of video options as well

Fuji is an excellent product.The problem with the X100 series is availability. The current version, the X100 V is amazing. In the last year, with about 20 on order we have received 5. The rumor is a new model is coming. If you can get one it's great for trophy shots, street shooting and vacation shots. Not good for wildlife due to short focal length

If you go to the higher end cameras then Sony comes into play. The A7 mk 4 is an awesome camera as is every full frame they make. Full featured, excellent video features and the Sony glass is as good as anyone out there with so many options. The Canon R6 Mark 2 and the Nikon Z6 II and Z7 II are excellent and the new Z8 is amazing. Canon has a huge selection of RF (Mirrorless) lenses and Nikon is growing their Z (mirrorless) lens selection on a regular basis. Both Canon and Nikon have adapters that will allow you to use their DSLR lenses with out any feature loss.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions I am happy to answer. Any pricing questions please call me at 516-217-1000 due to the camera companies pricing rules they only allow full retail in print. I am always happy to discuss the forum pricing

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]