Physiological changes during the stalk

rclouse79

WKR
I was fortunate enough to have three stalks last weekend where I was in bow range of an elk. The first one I got busted by a cow I didn’t see at 50 yards. The second one involved being 38 yards from a feeding spike for a few minutes, waiting for a gap in the trees before the wind swirled. The last one was bumping a cow from her bed at 20 yards while focusing on another elk. I usually have a couple encounters a year from calling but no stalks. The first thing I noticed during each stalk is my knees were weak. If I didn’t plan ahead to space my feet out I found I would easily lose my balance. The second thing I noticed was my mouth got extremely dry to the point it was uncomfortable. If it weren’t for a cinnamon jolly ranger in my pocket I think I would have turned around to where I dropped my pack to chug water. In addition to physical challenges I also found my brain short circuiting. Literally the last thing that went through my head before blowing my first stalk was “man this ground is quiet”. After three quick steps I looked up to see a cow staring at me from 50 yards.
I guess if it weren’t exciting I wouldn’t do it. I have come to the conclusion that I am too high strung to ever be a good archery hunter. I struggle with trying to force things instead of letting them happen in the heat of the moment. I was encouraged by the fact I was able to take some deep breaths on my last stalk and gain some calm and focus. Maybe with some more experiences I will be able to pull off my first archery elk someday. I imagine by the time I think I have my nerves figured out I will get close to a giant bull and my head will start spinning while I blow chunks. I was interested to hear if there are any other people out there like me that turn into a puddle of goo when they get within 50 yards of an elk.

GotDraw?

WKR
Also try shooting competitive 3D Archery while using Combat Breathing when shooting.

30 other guys competing, you trying not to stress out, this will replicate some of the stress of stalking.

Combat Breathing will help you focus. You will learn to trust the technique... and yourself.

JL

Rokbar

WKR
I've caught myself holding my breath while stalking. Don't realize it until I'm about out of breathe. Will have to look at the breathing techniques!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For me, all that external and internal stuff ceases to exist. My bone-on-bone knee pain disappears, my lower back goes back to being 18 again, and my focus dials down to one objective. I've literally gone after a bull and after finally making the determination that it's not going to happen this encounter, had to pull out the GPS just to see where the heck I was (2.5 miles from where I first ran into the herd).......and I'm literally dripping in sweat from head to toe. And consciously, I had no idea that was all going on until it was over.

Rich M

WKR
Personally, I go into auto-pilot as 5miles put it - you do what you gotta do and then, when it is over you refocus on everything else.