Pic Rail Suggestions ~$100; Steel vs. Aluminum

Carlin59

WKR
Hi Everyone,

I'm setting up a M700 in 7RUM (details here https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/inherited-7-rum-where-to-start-wwyd.154322/ ). I'm currently stuck on what rail to put on it. I've had a reality check that isn't going to be a full on custom or even semi-custom build. Instead, I'm trying to add a few thoughtful upgrades that will hopefully help me stretch my current comfort zone (400 yards). From the research I've done, I don't think I need a rail with built in cant. I would like to keep the rail component in the $100 or less range, but open to spending more if there is a significant increase in performance commensurate to my goals (super solid, worry free rail). Or, if there is a quality product for less that is solid I would certainly be interested. What should I know about steel vs. aluminum rails? Pros and cons? Leaning towards steel since weight isn't a concern, but there are a lot more aluminum options (that I'm coming across at least). At the moment, this is at the top of my list: https://xtreme-hardcore-gear.myshop...ails/products/remington-700-long-action-0-moa (I know it is aluminum, but I've read a lot of good things and like the built in level) but I'm excited to hear some feedback from the more knowledgeable guys on this site. Thanks!

the Biggest thing is to make sure you bed the rail.

700’s are more then a little notorious for being not cut straight. Both receiver wise and alignment of base screws.

I can’t see a reason to go steel on picatinny.. maybe weaver.. you’ll have an issue with “electrolysis” or dissimilar metals anyways if you run a good set of aluminum rings.

talleys and warne and EGW rails have been beat on hard by me and worked fine. Go 20moa if you can. Extra elevation isn’t a bad thing And unless ur stock is notched for the bolt you’ll probably be running some kind of riser to get a good cheek weld with rail+rings

OP
Carlin59

Carlin59

WKR
Thanks for the good info. Definitely plan on bedding the rail. I found Broz’s great video on bedding rails, looks pretty straight forward.

LaHunter

WKR
the Biggest thing is to make sure you bed the rail.

700’s are more then a little notorious for being not cut straight. Both receiver wise and alignment of base screws.

I can’t see a reason to go steel on picatinny.. maybe weaver.. you’ll have an issue with “electrolysis” or dissimilar metals anyways if you run a good set of aluminum rings.

talleys and warne and EGW rails have been beat on hard by me and worked fine. Go 20moa if you can. Extra elevation isn’t a bad thing And unless ur stock is notched for the bolt you’ll probably be running some kind of riser to get a good cheek weld with rail+rings
There would be no risk of corrosion due to dissimilar metals in this case. You would be fine using a steel rail & aluminum rings

K

Kootenay Hunter

There would be no risk of corrosion due to dissimilar metals in this case. You would be fine using a steel rail & aluminum rings

yup, unless it was in some sort of humid/wet environment all the time, and they are in direct contact. But rings are usually powder coated, so already a barrier, and Al also forms an oxide layer that also forms a barrier.

If getting technical, use of dissimilar metals could pose an issue with different expansion/contraction rates during temperature swings, but I'd only worry about that in super precise applications.:geek:

Rings are powder coated? don’t think that’s correct. The warne mountain tech in hand definitely appear to be anodized.

shooting guns and leaving them in the elements on a fishing/hunting boat on gulf of Alaska for months on end isn’t “normal” hunting conditions but do believe it was electrolysis or a phenomena similar that was corroding the contact/mating surface between aluminum ring and steel base on the gun. It was pretty bad.

One off case? Maybe but never saw anything like that with aluminum rings on an ar15 (aluminum pic rail) commercial fishing and those guns got treated far worse in terms of element exposure

LaHunter

WKR
Rings are powder coated? don’t think that’s correct. The warne mountain tech in hand definitely appear to be anodized.

shooting guns and leaving them in the elements on a fishing/hunting boat on gulf of Alaska for months on end isn’t “normal” hunting conditions but do believe it was electrolysis or a phenomena similar that was corroding the contact/mating surface between aluminum ring and steel base on the gun. It was pretty bad.

One off case? Maybe but never saw anything like that with aluminum rings on an ar15 (aluminum pic rail) commercial fishing and those guns got treated far worse in terms of element exposure
What type of steel was the rail made from?
Even on your ar15 platform, there is steel/aluminum direct contact. Salt water for months on end will take its toll for sure on most firearms.