Picatinny Rails vs Standard rings bases

Bulldawg

WKR
What's the general opinion on scope mounting, is having a single piece rail better or is a dovetail better? Or is it better to go with the rings that mount directly to the gun?

I have mostly been using the rails on my guns lately, but I don't know what is optimal.

sndmn11

WKR
After having Talley on piece base/rings, I now appreciate the versatility that a rail and rings offers in more fore/aft adjustability, and being able to move scopes around from rifle to rifle.

2rocky

WKR
Took the rail off my Howa and went to regular rings. Brought the scope down to a better line with the butt of my stock. Ah the travails of having perfect high cheekbones....😊

wyosam

WKR
I’m mixed, some have rails, but for the rifle I carry in the mountains, it’s Talley ultra lows. Light, low, and reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I have multislot rails on all my guns. Tried mounting with two piece bases or dovetails and 90% of the time never got the eye relief right especially on long actions. I don't shoot anything over a 44mm objective so never really had a problem with height.

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
I went to rails and QD rings a couple of years ago when my rifle took a tumble and shattered an objective lens. I scavenged enough tools to use the scope from a muzzleloader for the rest of the hunt. The whole process would have been a simple swap and confirm zero with a rail and rings mounted on a scope. If it happens again, I'll be ready. Plus, I have the peace of mind the crosshairs are level/plumb to the rings and there is fore/aft adjustment for eye relief.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Rails are sometimes a necessary solution for mounting and/or eye relief, but they just scream tactidork to me so I will opt for traditional rings wherever possible.