Pick a 6.5 Creedmoor Bullet for Elk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Since this is a thread about hunting trophy bull elk, I’m just wondering, since I do not have experience with these fragmenting target bullets, if either of you have ever punched through the ham and the hip bones of a quartering away 800 lb bull at around 350 yards as he was feeding just outside the timberline with one of those target bullets? If so, was there a large wound channel all the way through the vitals?

Not being argumentative at all, just trying to gather information from others who have experience where I do not. I do know from my own experience that a Barnes TTSX will certainly do it.

Not at 350 with a Creedmoor.......

But at 666. With a 130gr Berger OTM. Though it was lung, stomach, then femur.

However, I do not try to make it through the butt of an animal. Through the heaviest muscle, then through the largest bone, then through a grass filled stomach, and hope it makes it to the chest. I’ve seen dozens of Barnes TSX’s not make it through the stomach of whitetail deer after breaking femurs to ever depend on it with an elk. Instead, if I am going to take a butt shot I want the exact opposite of a mono. In my experience butt shots are almost always a two shot affair regardless of what someone is shooting. The first shot anchors, the second kills. That anchoring shot becomes a lot more reliable when a very wide wound is created at the tailbone/femur.

Last edited:
OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
Not at 350 with a Creedmoor.......

But at 666. With a 130gr Berger OTM. Though it was lung, stomach, then femur.

However, I do not try to make it through the butt of an animal. Through the heaviest muscle, then through the largest bone, then through a grass filled stomach, and hope it makes it to the chest. I’ve seen dozens of Barnes TSX’s not make it through the stomach of whitetail deer after breaking femurs to ever depend on it with an elk. Instead, if I am going to take a butt shot I want the exact opposite of a mono. In my experience butt shots are almost always a two shot affair regardless of what someone is shooting. The first shot anchors, the second kills. That anchoring shot becomes a lot more reliable when a very wide wound is created at the tailbone/femur.
Not just 6.5 Creedmoor, but any fragmenting bullet of any caliber and weight that was required to get through a very large bone/muscle complex such as ham/hip or brisket/shoulder before it could reach the boiler room.

I have no issue with almost any bullet .243 cal and above if lungs are the first thing it hits. I’ve seen Barnes bullets do both and exit through and smashing the other massive complex on the opposite side (enter brisket/shoulder exit ham/hip and enter ham/hip exit brisket/shoulder) and not merely anchoring a large bull, but flattening it DRT. Both of these examples were 130gr TTSX in .277 cal. At least 4’ of penetration while completely destroying the two largest bone/muscle complexes in a bull elk’s body then leaving an exit wound is rather good performance.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
brisket/shoulder before it could reach the boiler room.

Easily and without question. Berger VLD’s will penetrate 3-4” before fragmenting at all- even through a shoulder.

At least 4’ of penetration while completely destroying the two largest bone/muscle complexes in a bull elk’s body then leaving an exit wound is rather good performance.

It is, but in killing a large number of animals, bullets 100% getting through femur and stomach it is not something I would count on.

I’m not trying to convince you to use anything- use whatever you want. You started the thread asking about a bullet for a 6.5 Creedmoor for a 14 year old. Now you’re talking about azz shooting 800lb elk.

I do not think a 14yo butt shooting an elk is the path to enlightenment.

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
That's interesting. Only experience I've had with Berger's definitely turned me off of them. Was with my uncle, took 5 shots to put a moose down at 300- four to the chest with a fifth to the C1 vertebrae. Upon gutting the close lung was destroyed but the far one was intact. While the animal did go into shock quickly and stood there allowing for follow ups, if it decided to pull a runner after the first shot it would have been a different story. Canadian moose can survive a long, long time on one lung. This was with a 7mm Rem Mag and HSM 168 VLD hunters.

I know your looking for long range performance but don't forget about the short range. My son and I used the 143 ELD-X last year. He took a frontal shot on a nice buck at 40 yards and the buck took off and ran 60 yards. When we skinned it the bullet impacted on a rib and was embedded there. It was a few fragments that killed the deer.

The bullet did kill the deer so it did its job but, if we had used Barnes, Accubond or Partition, the deer would have dropped in its tracks.

I’ve seen a few fragmenting type bullets go through a shoulder blade, but always heavier/faster calibers (7mags I’m up) and it was always the thin part of the bone.

Have seen far more do what was described above on the rib. Smash, deflect, or stop when they actually hit solid resistance.

Back to OP, for a 14 year old that might pull the shot, that’s why I’d go copper.

Dusty2426

WKR
Never hunt with a target bullet... will a target bullet kill animals? sure it will but a hunting bullet will kill the same animals in a lot more different scenarios. The little you give up in single hole accuracy you gain back in effectiveness in non ideal shot placement.

KurtR

WKR
I have had more failures with hunting bullets vs “target bullets”. Accubond and noslers ballistic tip both splashed on a deers shoulder. One out of a 264 win mag the other a 243. Amax and eldx have been boringly 1 shot kills out of multiple calibers.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
My 13 year old and I both used 6.5 Creedmoors with 147 eld-m’s last year for deer and elk. We filled all of our tags with no drama at ranges between 300-550 yds. Last year was the first time I’ve ever hunted with anything smaller than a 30-06 having mostly used 7mm/300/338 magnums. These creeds are just so nice to shoot and they seem to perform plenty good for what we’re doing. We’ll be using them again this year with same ammo for all of our hunts. Based on our limited experience I sure wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the 147’s for what you’re looking to do.

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
I have had more failures with hunting bullets vs “target bullets”. Accubond and noslers ballistic tip both splashed on a deers shoulder. One out of a 264 win mag the other a 243. Amax and eldx have been boringly 1 shot kills out of multiple calibers.

Well Ballistic Tips are a "hunting bullet" that explode. ELD-X's ARE a hunting bullet as well. They just wouldn't be my preference for a big animal like elk personally.

What range was the AB at? It'd be the first time I've heard of an AB blowing up. If it was an AB "long range" that wouldn't surprise me. By most accounts it's not a very good "bonded" bullet.

KurtR

WKR
Well Ballistic Tips are a "hunting bullet" that explode. ELD-X's ARE a hunting bullet as well. They just wouldn't be my preference for a big animal like elk personally.

What range was the AB at? It'd be the first time I've heard of an AB blowing up. If it was an AB "long range" that wouldn't surprise me. By most accounts it's not a very good "bonded" bullet.

the accubomb was at about 150 yds and it blew the meat off the shoulder blade. the eldx is an amax with a different tip but i have also used the eldm. Killed with the berger, smk and scenar to boringly consistent results. Ask enough people and you will find every bullet fails at some time.

Dusty2426

WKR

Same. I have seen a lot of weird things happen with bullets in my guiding career but I’m gonna go “ Bigfoot” (believe it when I see it) on an Accubond splashing on a deer shoulder at any range. Tell me bison or bigger at high velocity close range I’ll give it a second look but deer. No way.

KurtR

WKR
I will see if buddy still has the picture it’s 8 years ago. I loaded them for his 264 win mag. That was when we had 8 plus licenses each for deer here did lots of killing and bullet testing

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I have seen the 143 grain eldx used on elk out of a creedmoor. Behind the shoulder and you are good to go. Tie into the shoulder and you may not get adequate penetration beyond 300 yards.

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
the accubomb was at about 150 yds and it blew the meat off the shoulder blade. the eldx is an amax with a different tip but i have also used the eldm. Killed with the berger, smk and scenar to boringly consistent results. Ask enough people and you will find every bullet fails at some time.

ELD-X is actually an SST with a slight profile change and a different tip, not an AMAX. AMAX don't have the interlock ring to try and hold the jacket to the core, and the taper of the jacket is thin all the way through as opposed to tapering like an SST. If you're ever that curious look at photos of them cross sectioned and you'll see what I'm talking about. ELD-X might look like an AMAX but it's not.

MHWASH

WKR
I’ve used the 143 ELDx once, and once only. Quartering away at 280 yards on a mature muley buck. Caught one rib going in, shed it’s jacket in the chest cavity, did not exit. Won’t use them again.