pick a pack for me....

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
i am just a whitetail hunter. id like to be able to pack a lock on treestand, and or a whitetail out with it. however im not going to be spending nights out somewhere or even overnight for that matter. Id prefer the pack have tons of pockets and not just open big bag. Id also like it to hold a rifle comfortably. Im only going to buy this pack once so id like to get something nice.

Kifaru Stryker is supposed to be dropping this week, and the new Exo 1800 looks pretty badass too. My buddy has a Kifaru, and I run an Exo. Both awesome packs and frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on Exo. But I would just get the K3 4800. It tightens down to day-pack size in seconds, so you can use it for all hunting tasks. I have one. Not a ton of pockets, but plenty if you ask me. And you can add little inside bags (up to four). The lid has two great zip pockets. And the back has a 270 degree zipper access panel, which to me was a requirement. There are some great deals on K2 frame 5500 bags (current generation is K3). But for $150 more you can buy the K3 4800.

Last edited:
Take a look at the Mystery Ranch Mule,Cabinet, and Pintler. Not sure how much space you're looking for within the pack itself. All have overload self capabilities.
-Mule is small but with the over load self you can carry a stand.
-Cabinet is basically the mule with two extra "wing" pockets.
-Pintler is larger but has a few internal and external pockets. This one has lots of extra attachment points for you to strap extra clothes/bow/rifle etc.

I have the beartooth now. It's too large for my whitetail needs. I'll probably be buying either the mule or the pintler for my whitetail needs.

The only issue with mystery ranch at this moment, is there are two frames. Guidelight and Guidelight MT. My beartooth is MT so I would need to buy additional buckles in order to convert the mule or pintler to the MT frame.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I mentioned it to another guy in his pack thread. I’m selling my Kifaru fulcrum. Take a look at the videos on that pack. It has two big side pockets... I compress the big main bag down and use the two side pockets as a day pack for all my gear. Then, if I end up with an animal the main bag can hold 6,000 cubic inches of meat. I fit an entire deboned deer in there with room to spare. Great set up. PM me if interested in the pack.

OP
R

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
Will have to look into these. Anyone haul tree stands with any of these

Elkhntr08

WKR
I have a Eberlestock X2 that I deer hunt with and it works fine, even when packing my Lone Wolf climber.
Also have a EXO 3500 that I would use if I didn’t have the X2. It would be a better pack to use hauling out a deer. Although it’s $400 more than the Eberlestock.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the kifaru stryker that just got released today. You can add pockets as desired and its designed around hauling in stands or packing out deer. There are some good videos on facebook that show Aron going through it for use with a tree stand.

Reading your description, I'd go with the Kifaru Stryker with a couple pockets and you'd be set for awhile. I switched from a cheapy Badlands to a Kifaru shape charge this year for my deer hunting pack and it has been awesome so far. You can make the shape charge work for what you described, but I don't plan to carry a deer out with mine, just all of my extra gear to and from stand with the occasional tree steps attached to the pack for a saddle hunt. I also have been using the quandary as a tree stand pack just to carry a few things while on stand and it has worked well. Even was able to strap my Sitka Fanatic to the pack for a hike in.