Pick Apart My Gear List

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
Prepping for my first September CO archery elk hunt and am in the final phases of dialing my gear list in. Was hoping some of you with more experience might be able to provide some feedback on what I might be forgetting, should leave in the truck, etc. Trying to be light, but not ultralight. As of right now, we are planning to go out 9/13-9/23, but that may flip to earlier dates in the month. Looks like we will be around 8 to 11'k based on topo.

I have the consumable weight with the max amount of water I might have to carry, looks like there is some water around so hopefully I won't need to be walking around with 6L at all times...

Summary Weight (Lbs)
Total Pounds on My Person 66.35
Total Pounds in My Pack 59
Total Pack Pounds Minus Consumables 39.54
Pack 6.58
Elk Hunting Stuff 7.62
Sleep System 6.71
Navigation 0.33
H2O and Food Making Gear 1.74
Consumables (Food, Water, Fuel) 19.71
Survival, misc, etc 2.64
Optics 1.76
Comforts 1.43
Kill Kit 2.29
First Aid 0.03
Clothes on My Person 7.1
Clothes in my Pack 8.16875
bunch of weight in the truck

breakdowns below in ounces

Last edited:
OP
deertrout

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
Item Weight (oz)
Pack
Exo Mountain K2 5500 86
AGC Cub Max Bino Harness 15.2
3mil Compactor Bag 4

Elk Hunting Stuff
Matthew's Triax 98.24
5 Arrows with Broadheads 5.35
Truball Release 3.2
3- Allen Wrenches (just the sizes used on my bow sight and rest) 0.1
Phelps Bugle 11.3
6 Diaphrams 0.2
Cow Call 3
Windchecker- Prescription Bottle filled with Milkweed 0.5

Sleep System
SO Cimarron Tipi 39
SO Carbon Fiber Center Pole 10.2
10- SO 7.5" aluminum "Y" tent stakes 5
Thermarest Neoair Xlite Sleeping Pad 12
EE 30°F Enigma Quilt 17.3
STS Aeros Pillow 2.8
Military Surplus Woobie 21

Navigation
Smartphone in Airplane Mode (Onx GPS, Camera) 7.2
Anker Phone Charger 8.7
Silva Ranger Compass 2.3
Paper USGS Topo Map of the Unit 0.5

H2O and Food Making Gear
Sawyer Mini H2O Filter 1.8
2- Platypus 2L Bladder 2.1
2- SmartWater 1L bottles 2.6
GSI Microdualist (minus one of the bowl sets) 13.9
MSR Micro Rocket w/out case 2.8
Titanium Spork 0.7
12"x 8" Wire grill grate 4

Consumables (Food, Water, Fuel)
4L of water in Bladders 141.096
2L of Water in Bottles 70.548
Small Baggie of mixed seasonings 0.3
4 Days Food at 1.5lbs/day (still figuring meal plan out) 96
4oz can MSR IsoPro Fuel 7.4

Survival, misc, etc
Folding Knife 3.7
20 vaseline soaked cotton balls 2
Medicine (Advil, Sleeping Pills, Antacids) 0.5
Burts Bees Lip Balm 0.3
Travel Size Deoderant 1
Travel Size Monkey Butt Powder 2
Tweezers 0.3
10 paper towels and Wet Ones wipes 2
100' Paracord 7.2
2- Bic Mini Lighters 0.8
30' duct tape around one of the lighters 0.5
36"x18" price of Aluminum Foil 0.8
Headlamp 3.4
Flashlight 5.5
Extra Batteries 4.5
SOL Signal Mirror 0.6
SOL Slim Howler Rescue Whistle 0.2
Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener 4.2
Travel Toothbrush and Toothpaste 1.7
Travel Sunscreen 1

Optics
Nikon Monarch 5 8x32 binos 20.1
Nikon Arrow ID 3000 Rangefinder 5.3
Digiscope adapter 2.7

Comforts
2- Cascade Mountain Tech CF Trekking Poles 16
13"x13" Wonder Cloth 0.4
8"x16" Foam Pad (sitting/glassing) 3.5
Paperback Book- A Clockwork Orange 3

Kill Kit
Black Ovis Elk Game Bags 24.8
2- Pairs Latex Goives 0.8
Havalon with 5 Spare Blades and no case 2.5
Small Pulley 3.1
30' Red Flagging Tape 0.4
2- Wet Ones Hand Wipes 0.4
Havalon Blade Changing Tool 0.4
2- 11" zip ties 0.1
Tag 0.2
3mil compactor bag 4

Last edited:
OP
deertrout

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
First Aid
Maxi Pad 0.1
3- bandaid 0.1
2- alcohol prep pads 0.1
Super Glue 0.1
Latex Tourniquet 0.1

Clothes on My Person
1- Black Ovis Merino Boxer Briefs 3.3
1- Kirtland Signature Merino Wool Socks 3
First Lite 1/4 zip long sleeve top 9.5
Cabelas Instinct Stalking Pants 23
Crispi Idaho GTX Boots 69.6
Tilley Hat 5.2

Clothes in my Pack
Black Ovis Merino Boxer Briefs 3.3
2- Pairs Kirtland Signature Merino Wool Socks 6
No name wool blend baselayer bottoms 7
First Lite Kiln Merino Hoodie 14.7
Patagonia Micro Puff Vest 9.5
Cabelas Instinct Puffy Jacket 27.2
Cabelas MTO50 Quiet Pack Gore-tex Rain Jacket 29.3
Puffy Pants (make/model still TBD, leaning towards sitka kelvin lite, may leave in truck) 18
Under Armor Camo Jersey-style gloves 2.1
Cabelas Synthetic Insulated Neck Gator 1.8
Simms Windstopper Foldover Mitts 3.8
Foam Crocs for Camp Shoes 8

In the Truck
7 Backup Arrows
4 Extra Broadheads and Replacement Blades
Backup Release 3
SO medium wood stove and chimney 43
Folding Hand Saw
Backup Rangefinder 6.7
Garmin Etrex 20x 4.2
3- Bic Mini Lighters 1.2
Thermacell (plus fuel and wicks) 6.4
First Lite 1/4 zip long sleeve merino top 9.5
First Lite Stormtight Rain Jacket 20.2
Black Ovis 1/4 zip long sleeve Merino Top
Patagonia Fleece Vest 13
Vanguard VEO2 235CB Carbon Tripod 42.9
Hard Shell Bow Case
Extra GSI bowl set
2- Extra cans of MSR IsoPro Fuel 15.8
Woodsmans Pal
Simms Warming Hut Mittens
Headlamp
Simms Pants 12.2
Bug Head Net
3- Pairs Kirtland Signature Merino Socks 9
1- Black Ovis Merino Boxer Briefs 3.3
Black Ovis Merino Base Bottoms 8.8
Marmot Precip Rain Jacket 11
Street Clothes
4 days Food
XL Scent free Wet Wipes
4pc 5wt Fly Rod and Reel
Small Fly Box, 2 leaders, 3x/4x/5x tippet
Pocket AM/FM Radio 4
Bunch of Batteries unknown
First Lite Gaitors

Last edited:

Alchemy

WKR
Man that seems like a lot of stuff, either I’m way underprepared or your planning for a months stay.... all super quality items I just can’t imagine taking all that gear. I learned early that I just don’t enjoy a heavy pack with all the what if’s... my first backcountry hunt I took a machete, havalon, fixed blade knife and a multi tool!!!!!! Haha! I only take a havalon and some game bags now. It’s great to be prepared with quality sleep, first aid, nav/coms but if I’m leaving trailhead weighing 80lbs I won’t get far enough away from truck for any of it to matter anyways....

Jbehredt

WKR
That is a mountain of gear. Couple glaring “overredundancies” I see

havalon, a folder and a sharpener

Puffy vest and puffy coat

Quilt, puffy layer and a woobie

A kill kit pulley and a hunting partner

50 extra feet of cord

A grill grate? In your backpack? If you’ve got time to build a nice fire to cook on you’re doing the backcountry hunting thing wrong.

If it looks like there’s going to be water (in CO there probably will be, especially this year) carrying in 6 liters will seem like it was a bad idea about 3/4 of a mile from the truck, after you cross the second stream.

Don’t carry your fears. It’s Colorado in September. Yes it can get dangerous but don’t be stupid and you’ll spend a lot more time trying to get away from people than you will signaling for rescue.

OP
deertrout

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
Haha, thanks! I'm really not sure how it all fits in there. The grill grate is tiny and flat, slides right into my bladder pocket. It's awesome for cooking trout or tenderloin on which means I am doing backcountry camping right, Haha!

Great point on the puffy vest and jacket, I totally overlooked that and should probably leave one in the truck. I really wanna ditch the woobie, but it has so many uses.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
Get a couple night and some miles under your belt and you’ll be able to develop your own priorities pretty quickly. You certainly won’t be lacking for anything as it sits now. Have a way to prefilter or back flush your sawyer filter. My first trip with one I didn’t bother with either and it gets painfully slow in a hurry with silty water.

Gumbo

WKR
Wow. I feel like a spartan compared to that list. I used to take a lot of stuff I never used, and I got over that pretty quick. I would eliminate everything that is only there to make me more comfortable, and the Woobie, sitting pad, pillow, grill, bowl, deodorant, toothpaste/brush, folding knife, sharpener, phone charger, whistle, mirror, wonder cloth, pulley, crocs, puffy vest.

I'd also bring more blades and more latex gloves.

Oh yeah, and with 30' of duct tape around it that lighter is going to be pretty fat...:rolleyes:

Anyway, you will be far more comfortable if you leave most of the comfort behind. Keeping all that stuff organized will also suck, and you will not use the overwhelming majority of it.

OP
deertrout

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
Get a couple night and some miles under your belt and you’ll be able to develop your own priorities pretty quickly. You certainly won’t be lacking for anything as it sits now. Have a way to prefilter or back flush your sawyer filter. My first trip with one I didn’t bother with either and it gets painfully slow in a hurry with silty water.
Yeah, I've been on a few 3 day trips so far and every time I leave more stuff at home.

I use the smart water bottle to back flush. Use the bladder for dirty, then filter right into the bottles and squeeze the flow backwards when I think it is starting to slow down.

I’d bring your woobie, because your bag is only rated to 30 degrees. I use a 15 degree bag during September in CO. You won’t need puffy pants, unless you are doing a ton of glassing above tree line. Regardless your base layer bottoms, pants, and rain pants should be sufficient. Leave the puffy vest at home/truck. You only need two pair of socks. One pair on and the other at camp. Change socks at night before you go to bed and leave the other pair in a tree to air out while you are hunting. Leave the pulley system at home. Remove one of the Broadheads and put a field point in it for grouse. Then put that grill grate to work!! Good luck!

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
We made the mistake of bringing five or six days of food with us last time and were 5 miles from the truck. Left morning of day 3. Will probably only bring 3 days worth next time and just make a food run if needed and leave a man behind to glass while gone. But that’s just me

If you’re not wanting to spend much $ on new/lighter gear, here’s what I’d do at a bare minimum.

Replace your cook pot set with a Toaks Ti mug, and leave the grill grate at home. You can boil water for coffee/tea in it, and use it to make mountain house or homemade dehydrated meals. If you’re planning on truly cooking like you do when camping recreationally, you’re either not going to be hunting or you’re going to be hungry.

On your clothes, I’d leave the hoody, puffy pants, and rain jacket at home and pick up an sub 10 oz rain jacket that fits your budget. The 1/4 Zip, vest, and rain jacket should keep you plenty warm, you can supplement it with the woobie if you end up glassing a bunch and it’s colder than expected.

I’d also leave the pulley, knife sharpener, and flashlight at home, grab a Petzl E-Lite for a backup headlamp.

You won’t need to carry 6L of water either, as somebody said (might have been Aron Snyder) if you’re having trouble finding a water source in the area you’re hunting, there probably aren’t elk there. The exception would be if it’s on private land. We carried 3L and it would get us through the entire day. I’d try to drink 1L at camp in the morning, hunt all day on the 3L, and then drink another 1-2L at night with a hydration tablet.

I’d advise against leaving a couple days of food back at the truck if you’re hunting a decent ways in. I was planning to do that initially and my buddy said “are you really going to hike 10 miles to avoid carrying 3-4 lbs?”

If you’re bivy hunting and carrying everything with you, I can see carrying all of it in most of the way and then caching a small amount of food somewhere.

As it worked out, we packed his bull out on day 3, so we could have re-supplied, but I wouldn’t want to count on it.

OP
deertrout

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Really appreciate it. I cut a little over 20lbs from my total weight, 66.35lbs down to 43.48. Pack weight is sitting at 21.5lbs. That doesn’t include my bow, food/water or whats in my bino harness. Put a lot of stuff in the leave it in the truck pile, upgraded a few items, and have the tipi center pole and stakes going in my hunting partner’s pack who is bunking with me. Updated list is below. Don't be surprised if the grill makes it back onto the list...

Summary
Total Pounds on My Person, 43.48lbs
Backpack weight (Minus Consumables, My bow and Whats in My Bino Harness) 21.48lbs

AGC Bino Harness
AGC Cub Max Bino Harness, 15.2oz
Nikon Monarch 5 8x42 binos, 20.1 oz
Nikon Arrow ID 3000 Rangefinder, 0.3 oz
Tag, 0.2 oz
6 Diaphrams, 0.2 oz
Cow Call, 3.0 oz
Milkweed, 0.5 oz
Smartphone (GPS, Camera), 7.2 oz
Silva Ranger Compass, 2.3 oz
Paper Topo Map, 0.5 oz

Elk Hunting Stuff
Matthew's Triax, 98.2 oz
5 Arrows (4BH, 1 SG), 5.4 oz
Truball Release, 3.2 oz
3- Allen Wrenches, 0.1 oz
Phelps Bugle, 11.3 oz

Sleep System
SO Cimarron Tipi, 39.0 oz
SO Carbon Fiber Center Pole, 10.2 oz
10- SO 7.5" aluminum "Y" tent stakes, 5.0 oz
Thermarest Neoair Xlite Sleeping Pad, 12.0 oz
EE 30°F Enigma Quilt, 17.3 oz
STS Aeros Pillow, 2.8 oz
SO Ground Tarp , 10.5 oz

H2O and Food Making Gear
Sawyer Mini H2O Filter 1.8 oz
2- Platypus 2L Bladder 2.1 oz
2- SmartWater 1L bottles, 2.6 oz
GSI Pot, bowls, 12.9 oz
MSR Micro Rocket w/out case, 2.8 oz
Titanium Spork, 0.7 oz

Consumables (Food, Water, Fuel)
2L of water in Bladders, 70.5 oz
2L of Water in Bottles, 70.5 oz
Small Baggie of mixed seasonings, 0.3 oz
4 Days Food at 1.5lbs/day (still figuring meal plan out), 96.0 oz
4oz can MSR IsoPro Fuel, 7.4 oz

Survival, misc, etc
10 vaseline soaked cotton balls, 2.0 oz
Medicine (Advil, Sleeping Pills, Antacids), 0.5 oz
5 paper towels and Wet Ones wipes , 1.0 oz
50' Paracord, 3.6 oz
2- Bic Mini Lighters, 0.8 oz
30" duct tape around one of the lighters, 0.5 oz
Headlamp, 3.4 oz
Flashlight, 5.5 oz

Comforts
2- Cascade Mountain Tech CF Trekking Poles, 16.0 oz
13"x13" Wonder Cloth, 0.4 oz
8"x16" Foam Pad (sitting/glassing), 3.1 oz
Anker Phone Charger, 8.7 oz

Kill Kit
Black Ovis Elk Game Bags, 24.8 oz
2- Pairs Latex Goives, 0.8 oz
Havalon with 5 Spare Blades and no case, 2.5 oz
30' Red Flagging Tape, 0.4 oz
2- Wet Ones Hand Wipes , 0.4 oz
Havalon Blade Changing Tool, 0.4 oz
2- 11" zip ties, 0.1 oz
Plastic Sheet, 1.0 oz

First Aid
Maxi Pad, 0.1 oz
Burts Bees Lip Balm, 0.3 oz
3- bandaid, 0.1 oz
2- alcohol prep pads, 0.1 oz
Super Glue, 0.1 oz
SOL Signal Mirror, 0.6 oz
Neosporin, 0.3 oz
Mole skin, 0.1 oz
SOL Slim Howler Rescue Whistle, 0.2 oz
Latex Tourniquet, 0.1 oz

Clothes on My Person
1- Black Ovis Merino Boxer Briefs, 3.3 oz
1- Kirtland Signature Merino Wool Socks, 3.0 oz
First Lite 1/4 zip long sleeve top, 9.5 oz
Cabelas Instinct Stalking Pants, 23.0 oz
Crispi Idaho GTX Boots, 69.6 oz
Hat, 3.0 oz

Clothes in my Pack
1- Pairs Kirtland Signature Merino Wool Socks, 3.0 oz
No name wool blend baselayer bottoms, 7.0 oz
First Lite Stormtight Rain Jacket, 20.2 oz
First Lite Kiln Merino Hoodie, 14.7 oz
First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy Jacket, 17.0 oz
Simms Windstopper Foldover Mitts, 3.8 oz

I didn't compare the details from the previous list to your current list, but a couple of comments from my experience. Cutting out 20 lbs is HUGE and that will feel way better on the mountain. That said, I wonder if you've gone too far in the other direction. I still see some areas that I think you could consider cutting further, and a few areas I think you might want to add weight back in.

I don't know where specifically you are hunting and how far your hike in is going to be, but 4L of water might still be a lot. I'd hydrate at the trailhead and consider cutting out 1-2 additional liters of water - again, all depending on how far you have to go and how available water is on the trip. That could cut out anywhere from 2-4 lbs.

Do you have any idea whether you are a cold or warm sleeper? For me, I know 30 degrees wouldn't be sufficient at 10,000 ft in CO in late September. To that end, I've learned that one area that I've decided the comfort is worth the weight is in my sleep system. I've spent nights on the mountain freezing in a sleeping bag that wasn't warm enough, unable to get comfortable because it was small and cramped. I'm 5'9", but I now run an large Big Agnes sleeping bag and BA sleep system (pad slides into the bag to keep it from shifting). This system weighs probably 2-3 lbs more than previous systems I've run, but I sleep soooo much better on the mountain. Something to consider.

OP
deertrout

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't compare the details from the previous list to your current list, but a couple of comments from my experience. Cutting out 20 lbs is HUGE and that will feel way better on the mountain. That said, I wonder if you've gone too far in the other direction. I still see some areas that I think you could consider cutting further, and a few areas I think you might want to add weight back in.

I don't know where specifically you are hunting and how far your hike in is going to be, but 4L of water might still be a lot. I'd hydrate at the trailhead and consider cutting out 1-2 additional liters of water - again, all depending on how far you have to go and how available water is on the trip. That could cut out anywhere from 2-4 lbs.

Do you have any idea whether you are a cold or warm sleeper? For me, I know 30 degrees wouldn't be sufficient at 10,000 ft in CO in late September. To that end, I've learned that one area that I've decided the comfort is worth the weight is in my sleep system. I've spent nights on the mountain freezing in a sleeping bag that wasn't warm enough, unable to get comfortable because it was small and cramped. I'm 5'9", but I now run an large Big Agnes sleeping bag and BA sleep system (pad slides into the bag to keep it from shifting). This system weighs probably 2-3 lbs more than previous systems I've run, but I sleep soooo much better on the mountain. Something to consider.
Thanks. I was thinking about the water and figured I should play it safe for planning purposes. I run a 1L smartwater bottles in each of my side pouches that will probably be just fine to get me by, but I'm planning for it not being enough and having 2L extra in a bladder. Worst case, water isnt an issue and I dump the bladder.

We actually changed our trip dates since I posted for a couple reasons unrelated to weather and are now going to get to our plan A unit sometime on August 31st, then hunt through 9/8. That factored into leaving the woobie in the truck. I figure if it gets cold at night, I can throw the puffy on. Have slept in this 30-degree quilt in base layers, the cabelas puffy, Simms foldover mitts and the woobie wrapped around my pad down to single digits and slept comfortably during winter camping here in northern MI. That said, I plan to watch the weather and if it looks like nights will run below 20, I will swap the ground tarp back out for the woobie and maybe bring the puffy pants.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re not wanting to spend much $ on new/lighter gear, here’s what I’d do at a bare minimum.

Replace your cook pot set with a Toaks Ti mug, and leave the grill grate at home. You can boil water for coffee/tea in it, and use it to make mountain house or homemade dehydrated meals. If you’re planning on truly cooking like you do when camping recreationally, you’re either not going to be hunting or you’re going to be hungry.

On your clothes, I’d leave the hoody, puffy pants, and rain jacket at home and pick up an sub 10 oz rain jacket that fits your budget. The 1/4 Zip, vest, and rain jacket should keep you plenty warm, you can supplement it with the woobie if you end up glassing a bunch and it’s colder than expected.

I’d also leave the pulley, knife sharpener, and flashlight at home, grab a Petzl E-Lite for a backup headlamp.

You won’t need to carry 6L of water either, as somebody said (might have been Aron Snyder) if you’re having trouble finding a water source in the area you’re hunting, there probably aren’t elk there. The exception would be if it’s on private land. We carried 3L and it would get us through the entire day. I’d try to drink 1L at camp in the morning, hunt all day on the 3L, and then drink another 1-2L at night with a hydration tablet.

I’d advise against leaving a couple days of food back at the truck if you’re hunting a decent ways in. I was planning to do that initially and my buddy said “are you really going to hike 10 miles to avoid carrying 3-4 lbs?”

If you’re bivy hunting and carrying everything with you, I can see carrying all of it in most of the way and then caching a small amount of food somewhere.

As it worked out, we packed his bull out on day 3, so we could have re-supplied, but I wouldn’t want to count on it.

Hey you mentioned a "sub 10oz rain jacket"..what do you use? Do you have the Brand name and model name of that jacket? I have a Mountain Hardwear "stretch capacitor" but I am not sure how it would hold up in the field..Thanks

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Add toilet paper to that list.

I would not take bowls, wonder cloth, or a signal mirror. 5.5 oz flashlight is heavy – backup headlamp should weight 2 oz. or less. If I took latex gloves in my kill kit, i would not have wet wipes also. I don't take a plastic sheet in my kill kit – meat just goes straight into the game bags. I would replace mole skin with Leukotape and leave the duct tape and band aids behind. I don’t take alcohol prep pads, but I have hand sanitizer to wash my hands after taking a dump. Seems like the latex tourniquet will not really serve much of a purpose - I would either carry something more substantial like a CAT or SWAT T or nothing. I would add quick clot and get rid of the maxi pad. That raincoat is pretty heavy.

Finally, if i brought the cotton balls soaked in Vaseline, there is no need for lip balm because the Vaseline will work. But more importantly, if i brought those cotton balls soaked in Vaseline, i would also bring an Inreach because if you start a fire right now in Colorado, you are probably going to have to punch that SOS button as you are running away from a big ass fire.