Pick Apart My Gear List

Hey you mentioned a "sub 10oz rain jacket"..what do you use? Do you have the Brand name and model name of that jacket? I have a Mountain Hardwear "stretch capacitor" but I am not sure how it would hold up in the field..Thanks

KUIU Ultra NX. They have been discontinued but you might find one in the classifieds. I view it as an elk/mule deer “sit out a rain storm” jacket, not a black tail/moose “bushwhack in rain all week” deal.

I’ve had no issues and I asked them about durability before I bought it, I also carry some tenacious tape with me.

I don’t know anything about them, but the Sitka Vapor, Marmot Precip, and Cabela’s Space Rain are all lightweight options.

j33

WKR
My XL frog togg jacket is 6oz and XL Eddie Bauer Cloud Cap with zips is 10oz but very loud. Neither are for bush wacking.

Both cheap to buy

If you are set on that cooking grate put in a foot or two of 20gauge trapping wire. Unroll it and lash it to some rocks or green wood. Serves the same purpose and is much much lighter. Get a grouse or a fish you can wrap it and hang it even. Saves you 6 ounces.

if you are using the carbon pole for the cimmeron and taking trekking poles invest in the trekking pole tether from SO. Save you a half a lb right there.

for food. If you are going in with more than. 1.8 lbs per day find higher cal foods. Throw in mayo packets or flax seed oils for any food that it will mix well with. Could save 1/2 lb per day. After a long day anything will taste good and Mayo, butter, oils taste great on about anything.

Rock-o

WKR
I think you're missing the kitchen sink.

Seriously though, you've received solid feedback and it seems you're making good strides in reducing your load. Good job, keep it up. There's no right or wrong way - it's your way.

https://lighterpack.com/

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
The weight on your rangefinder is off, right? 3oz and not 0.3?

From your reduced list I'd knock off, in order of impact:

1. the carbon fiber pole for your tent. Instead, get a Voile strap (~0.8oz) or similar ski strap, and lash your hiking poles together. Adjust to the same length as the manufacturer's pole, and you save 0.5lbs. If you don't want to go the strap route, people make adapters but they're heavier and not as secure as straps, in my experience.
2. one of your bladders, 6L is a lot, and you can just keep a bladder full of untreated water and filter directly out of it as needed.
3. the bowl (just use the pot)
4. 10 or 15 of your firestarters (20 is a lot when you've got 2 lighters, and CO isn't exactly short on dry vegetation right now)

Despite all of your other redundancies, I'm surprised you didn't include a second release. I'd consider it, but only because I've lost them before and with ATA lengths getting shorter, improvising with fingers is getting harder to manage.

And if you'd still prefer to bring a pulley but want something lighter weight, grab one or two aluminum rappel rings. They're ~0.4oz each and are pretty damn low on friction.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
A grill grate? In your backpack? If you’ve got time to build a nice fire to cook on you’re doing the backcountry hunting thing wrong.
How could he be hunting wrong? Hunting, however you do it should be about enjoying yourself. If eating some grilled elk is wrong I don’t know what’s right. To many people get caught up in how hard you hunt or how far or how high you go. I find it very helpful to relax abit, enjoy my morning coffee and sunrise. But who knows, maybe I don’t understand western hunting, I only live in the Rocky Mountains. Or maybe I’m just Canadian and otc sheep tags have ruined me.

OP
deertrout

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
Well he hasn't been back here so he probably died. Mauled to a horrific end by a chupacabra.
Actually, I was kidnapped by a family of Bigfoots- or is it bigfeet?

That last list is pretty close to what I'm still running, dropped a few things off the list, switched to a different shelter since then. Done a bunch of multi-day trios in the 3 to 5 day range and pretty happy with everything I'm running in general. Would like to make some clothing changes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk