Pick my 7mm Rem Mag

This will be an elk rifle 99% of the time. Must have a factory threaded barrel and be 7# or less. I don’t think I’ll ever shoot more than 500 yards at an animal as the farthest target shooting I have access to is 600 yards.

Currently in between:

Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed Suppressor-Ready​

Browning X-Bolt Western Hunter Long Range​

Tikka T3X Lite Black/Tan (threaded)​

Howa M1500

CVA Cascade

The first three are $1,100-1,200 guns. Howa is about $950. All the higher priced ones will also require purchasing a base. Cascade is $600-700. Probably only going to elk rifle hunt every few years as we prefer bow hunting weather and I have other rifles I’ll use for whitetails (heavy 308 ARs or Grendels) so I’m inclined to go with the budget option and spend a bit more on lightweight Maven or Leupold glass.. Thoughts on those options? Am I missing any good value options out there.

Last edited:

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
I personally just bought a tikka t3x 7mm today.... I'm also in the search mode for a good glass for it. Mainly an elk and deer gun. Leaning toward the LRHS 4.5-18x44 which may be a bit much but could always dial it down. Otherwise looking at the leopold vx5 3-15x44

Rob5589

WKR
Well, RS is Tikka country so...

I have two, great rifles, not good if you plan to reload the longer bullets in a full magnum cartridge (7RM, 300WM, etc) due to magazine length limits. If sticking with factory ammo should be a non issue.

Check out Euro Optic for Trijicons they are discounting. I recently picked up a Credo 4-16 and am very pleased so far.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Tikka, but not in that caliber if you reload and want to shoot heavier than a 160 class bullet.

2-Stix

WKR
I have a tikka in 308 with Leupold VX3 3x9 that gets 3/8" groups with box ammo and a 7rm with a VX5 3x15 that gets 1/2". I am 100% all in. Both have talley light weight rings.

EmperorMA

WKR
Not a Tikka fan here so a slightly different perspective.

Those Browning X-Bolts are definitely shooters. I've been around several and all of them are sub-MOA with at least some factory ammo right out of the box. Adjust the trigger down a bit and they get even tighter. Great stocks that mitigate recoil well, too.
Tikka, but not in that caliber if you reload and want to shoot heavier than a 160 class bullet.
I agree. If you handload get something else if you want to go modern. Hell, get something else even if you don't.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Let me start by saying that a 7RM is an excellent choice. It’s a very versatile round with plenty of good factory ammo on the shelves if you choose to go that route.

I own a CA Mesa and absolutely love it. It’s a bit out of your price range but definitely worth a look if this will be your “do-it-all” rifle like it is for me. Plus, it comes threaded and with a radial brake. On top of it I run a Vortex HSLR 4-16 x 50 which has treated me well.

If you’re truly going on the “budget” end, might wanna look at Ruger American. I have heard they’re shooters for the price point. Just not sure if they chamber them in 7RM?

Edit: Just checked Ruger’s site. Looks like they don’t offer the American in 7RM. Have to step up to the Hawkeye which is >8lbs.

-RadDad

Last edited:

Unckebob

WKR
Personally, i would spend the money to get a better rifle.

I haven't tried it, but the $950 Weatherby Vanguard Meateater Edition seems to fit your criteria. You don't have to buy a scope base. Just buy the right sized rings.

You can get the X bolt with a faster twist. I’d go that route (I have one in 7 RM, also own two Tikkas now and one Howa).

My 26” barrel can put 180 gr 284 bullets under 1 MOA at over 3,000 fps (loading long). It’s a monster. Good luck.

OP
G
To add more detail, I do not reload and don’t think I ever will. Trying to keep this from being a caliber debate though so not getting into the why’s of that choice. Already a bazillion threads and articles on that topic.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
To add more detail, I do not reload and don’t think I ever will. Trying to keep this from being a caliber debate though so not getting into the why’s of that choice. Already a bazillion threads and articles on that topic.
Tikka for sure then, you might want to consider one of the stainless cerakote models as I believe the black/tan is blued.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, i would spend the money to get a better rifle.

I haven't tried it, but the $950 Weatherby Vanguard Meateater Edition seems to fit your criteria. You don't have to buy a scope base. Just buy the right sized rings.
Why does using factory ammunition make Tikka a clear choice?
I believe some people have issues with Tikka actions when hand loading long-ish rounds. The cartridges have issues cycling from the magazine if the COAL is long. With factory ammo that is not a concern. Could be what Unkebob was referring to.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Why does using factory ammunition make Tikka a clear choice?
Because the action length limits rounds like the 7 mag when running heavier bullets and optimizing seating depth. Factory 9.5 twist also limits bullet options. Factory ammo will be saami spec and no such issues. Of the 6 tikkas I own, all are sub moa with every ammo I've ever tried. Why take the risk on something else??

I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I have an X bolt western hunter in 7mm and have been really happy with it. Same boat as you regarding 500 yard shots and it definitely gets the job done.

The one thing I’d keep in mind (and I’d do differently if I did it over again) would be the twist rate of the barrel for each gun. If it’s going to be an elk gun and you want the option of shooting a higher grain bullet I’d go for the 8” twist rate in the western hunter long range. The tikka and the hells canyon speed have a 9 1/2” twist rate so you could have a higher chance of bullets key-holing and not flying well as they get heavier.

May not effect you and I’m sure guys shoot heavier bullets with less but something to think about.

I have a Tikka 7RM (the Cabela's version of the Veil Alpine) and I load 168 grain Nosler ABLR and 175 grain Partitions without any issues. They both shoot great out of my gun.

At the speeds that the 7RM shoots, 9.5 twist is fully adequate to stabilize those bullet weights. It may not work for the 180+ grain bullets out there, but I wouldn't use any of those on game anyway as they are mostly match bullets.