Pick my tent?

Corey

FNG
Hello everyone, Ive researched and watched videos for hours but I need some advice. If you had a budget of $450 which tent would you buy? Tent is for me and my gear. Elk hunts early September 10k-11k up. Idea of having a stove jack for versatility intrigues me but isnt necessary. Freestanding vs non freestanding? (I do have and use trekking poles) Hunt is a “camp on my back” style hunt daily.

OP
C

Corey

FNG
Get a tarp or pyramid!
Any certain brands you recommend? Been eyeing up Luxe tipis but have read their customer service isnt great and theres some bad experiences with that company. I like the price point for the weight.

Any certain brands you recommend? Been eyeing up Luxe tipis but have read their customer service isnt great and theres some bad experiences with that company. I like the price point for the weight.
I've got the Nemo Apollo. It's sweet! Lightweight, very easy to set up, and I like the design a lot for my purposes.

Do you have any issues using a floorless shelter?
No - in fact, I much prefer it to a tent as it's much lighter and more roomy. There are lots of threads on here about floorless for September. Get a cheap ground cloth to lay your pad on. I've kept dry in rain, snow, and wind.

HuntnPack

WKR
Check out Seek outside offerings.
I have a DST tarp & a Cimmaron tent.
(Add their line locks to vent and tighten)
Grab a Fearlessly Floorless Ground Sheet
And a Carbon center pole.
Great products & Customer service.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
How tall are you? That Flash Air is tight if you're over 6ft

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
C

Corey

FNG
How tall are you? That Flash Air is tight if you're over 6ft

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I an about 5’11”. I just received the flash air 2 to try out. It just looks like you cant get the vestibules down tight to the ground. Im worried about stuff not staying dry under there.

Tarptent stratospire has been my all around go to for a while. It is a great balance of comfort/space/weight/weather resistance.

If i'm super concerned with weight (and I would be if hunting with camp on my back) i use a dyneema MLD duomid pyramid. The silnylon model fits better in your budget with a minimal weight penalty. A used tarptent aeon Li on the classifieds might fit your budget too and is lighter than a duomid once you factor in adding a bivy or inner.

4rcgoat

WKR
Tarptent stratospire has been my all around go to for a while. It is a great balance of comfort/space/weight/weather resistance.

If i'm super concerned with weight (and I would be if hunting with camp on my back) i use a dyneema MLD duomid pyramid. The silnylon model fits better in your budget with a minimal weight penalty. A used tarptent aeon Li on the classifieds might fit your budget too and is lighter than a duomid once you factor in adding a bivy or inner.
I'll second the tarptent ss1, sets up fast and you can choose whether or not to use the bug nest,leave the nest behind and you can go floorless.

I like the SS2 but camp in places where vermin roam and won't risk a scorpion sting ruining my hunt. The nest is a must unless there's snow. Tallest of the Tarptents, 3.5lbs, easy to pitch and spacious.

P1010866.JPG
2014-06-04124620_zps0192d6ca.jpg
ss2hot-tent.jpg

zacattack

WKR

I second the MLD duomid. I have the silnylon version and it’s a palace for one person and gear. Super easy to pitch and fits your budget.

OP
C

Corey

FNG
The three tabs on my phone that I keep going back and forth on are the SO Silex, Tarptent Notch, and Durston Xmid 1. I really like all 3 of these with the Silex having a slight advantage being able to get a stove for it. Any thoughts?