Pick my tent?

HuntnPack

WKR
The three tabs on my phone that I keep going back and forth on are the SO Silex, Tarptent Notch, and Durston Xmid 1. I really like all 3 of these with the Silex having a slight advantage being able to get a stove for it. Any thoughts?
Prior to my Cimmaron purchase I also considered the 3 you have listed.
after more research & considerations for my desired use & hunting conditions,
I opted to go floorless for the combination of weight, size, versatility. I opted for the Cimmaron over the Silex for the added
height & room after talking to a couple Silex users. I like to be able to move around & sit up away from my sleeping bag vs crawling around inside & on top of my sleeping bag. Also a bit more room to run a stove.

Also the Stove Jack option
as well as the ability to add a full or half nest is a bonus. Very versatile shelter for
1-2 people. I like the idea of putting a ground sheet down for my sleep system & having a floorless area for dirty boots, fire wood, Gear, & a warm stove.
I can use this shelter in a lot of different scenarios from truck camping with the wife, to Week long wilderness hunting, solo or
2 guys, with or without stove or nest.
ultimately a good investment.
I also have a DST tarp if I decide to go super light & move camp daily.
The DST can also be used as an awning
For the Cimmaron.
This system will cover all my needs.

Last edited:

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
If you're hesitant about going floorless and would prefer to try it before sinking a bunch of money in it, consider the Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT; retails for around $150

powds

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Seek outside offerings.
I have a DST tarp & a Cimmaron tent.
(Add their line locks to vent and tighten)
Grab a Fearlessly Floorless Ground Sheet
And a Carbon center pole.
Great products & Customer service.
I second this I have the same setup. Great people to deal with

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
I have a silex and am a big fan. One thought:

Think hard about if you are really going to use a stove or not. I opted for the stove jack , but i feel it will be tight in there with a stove. The stove jack adds a little weight... but it also makes the whole tent bigger and harder to compress down. the material also sticks to stuff and doesn't like to slide into bags.

That is literally my only gripe about the Silex.. and its more of just an observation. Its a killer shelter.

But don't go thinking your buddy is going to fit in it with you...

ianpadron

WKR
If I could only have 1 shelter it would be a Seek Outside Cimarron. Nothing else would be in the running. Just did everything well for me and only sold it to diversify into specialized shelters for early/late season.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
Tarptent stratospire has been my all around go to for a while. It is a great balance of comfort/space/weight/weather resistance.

If i'm super concerned with weight (and I would be if hunting with camp on my back) i use a dyneema MLD duomid pyramid. The silnylon model fits better in your budget with a minimal weight penalty. A used tarptent aeon Li on the classifieds might fit your budget too and is lighter than a duomid once you factor in adding a bivy or inner.
@wind gypsy how has the Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid performed during late season conditions? Their website claims four season use, and I do see some reviewers mentioning using it in snowy conditions. Interested to hear from hunters, though.

Above the treeline, blizzard starts, are you confident waiting it out in your duomid?

zacattack

WKR
Check out Seek outside offerings.
I have a DST tarp & a Cimmaron tent.
(Add their line locks to vent and tighten)
Grab a Fearlessly Floorless Ground Sheet
And a Carbon center pole.
Great products & Customer service.
Is the ground sheet as quiet as advertised? I’ve thought about getting one to replace my tyvek with.

OP
C

Corey

FNG
I ended up ordering a Silex. For those of you who have one do you use a tarp or footprint under the nest?

I really like my Warbonnet Ground Tarp. It is very versatile and can be used as a closed in tent/tarp shelter for cold or bad weather or opened up like a flat tarp for nice weather or glassing. Add a Borah Bug bivy if you want some big protection and you’re golden. It is very light at 17-18 ounces, packs down very small, and with two or three practice runs it can be setup in 3 minutes.

I like the tarp/tent configuration because I can pitch it anywhere that is big enough for me to lay down. It’s also nice if there is a quick burst of rain to just pull out and throw over your group to stay dry.

CCooper

WKR
2nd the Seek. I picked up the LBO with vestibule. Compact and light, although 2 people with any gear is pushing it. Nut to butt for sure, but man it's light and sets up quick.

@wind gypsy how has the Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid performed during late season conditions? Their website claims four season use, and I do see some reviewers mentioning using it in snowy conditions. Interested to hear from hunters, though.

Above the treeline, blizzard starts, are you confident waiting it out in your duomid?

It's a bomber shelter and will hold up to wind and snow. Can't say i have personal experience in particularly inclement weather but its handled some snow and wind well. It was the choice for the first people to complete a winter through hike on the Pacific crest trail and I know some pretty extreme AK and Canada through hikes too. There is a lot of history of people using MLD mids on pretty extreme trips and in deep snow if you look into it.

I ended up ordering a Silex. For those of you who have one do you use a tarp or footprint under the nest?
Did you end up ordering it with a stove jack? I never used a stove in mine, but feel like it helped with the resale value. I used a sheet of tyvek under my nest. I have a huge roll of it and just cut it to hang out a few inches on each side. I bought some “stick on” eyelet straps that I put in each corner to stake it down. Not needed, but was really handy and only cost me a few dollars to make. Good luck and enjoy!!