Pick-up Rental One Way

mwebs

WKR
Looking to fly to WI to pick up a boat and drive it back to ID with a rental truck. Anyone have any experience with this? Looking online looks like uhaul only rents pick ups if you return to the same location and no luck with the usual rental companies.

I don't know of a vehicle rental company that allows you to tow with their trucks. Except maybe Ryder or U-haul, places that rent moving trucks.

I can't believe uhaul has you return to same place, that kinda goes against the whole move yourself cross-country idea they have. I think home depot is partnered with Ryder, you might check with them if you have those in your area.

def90

WKR
Probably going to need to just rent a small Ryder or UHaul moving van. Yeah, it doesn’t make sense but most pickup trucks I’ve ever tried as in Enterprise truck rental require that you drop them back off where you picked them up at. One way rentals in general other than moving trucks are becoming harder and harder to find right now. I’m guessing it has to do with rental companies cutting back on their fleets due to the covid travel crash and not wanting to have to deal with getting a car back from a slow rental market back to a hot market where that vehicle can be making money.

Baddog

WKR
Probably get it hauled out cheaper. Try u-ship. Unless you need to look it over first...

If you’re interested I have the number of a guy that hauled a boat from Florida to Michigan for me. He was very reasonable compared to the quotes I got off u ship. Probably cheaper than flying / renting / motels.

Had a live well cover get fly off because it wasn’t latched. He paid for a new one no question asked.

PM if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting.. I've moved across the country a few times pulling a cargo trailer with a 1 way rental from enterprise or national. The risk is they increasingly try to get their pickups without trailer hitches and I dont believe they want you towing. National emerald club in bigger airports used to have enough pickups on the lot that I could find one with a hitch on it but it's been 3 or 4 years since ive done it.

I’m going to keep an eye on this because I planned on doing the exact same thing within the next month or so. Keep us updated on what you find out.

DKBronco

FNG
Looking to fly to WI to pick up a boat and drive it back to ID with a rental truck. Anyone have any experience with this? Looking online looks like uhaul only rents pick ups if you return to the same location and no luck with the usual rental companies.
Enterprise rents pickups for one way. Not knowing the to/from cities, I looked at airport locations Milwaukee and Boise for pick up and drop off.

Attachments

• DC27B170-1671-45AF-8FC6-C66650F56244.png
    DC27B170-1671-45AF-8FC6-C66650F56244.png
    244.4 KB · Views: 21

fmyth

WKR
I don't know of a vehicle rental company that allows you to tow with their trucks. Except maybe Ryder or U-haul, places that rent moving trucks.

I can't believe uhaul has you return to same place, that kinda goes against the whole move yourself cross-country idea they have. I think home depot is partnered with Ryder, you might check with them if you have those in your area.
Enterprise Commercial has F250 and Ram2500 Diesel Trucks equipped to tow. Not every city has an Enterprise Commercial location.

Enterprise Commercial has F250 and Ram2500 Diesel Trucks equipped to tow. Not every city has an Enterprise Commercial location.

Yeah, and I don't think as a non-corporate you can rent them. It's a matter of insurance coverage I assume. They will rent me a one ton dually locally, but I can't tow with it. Same as the dump trucks they have. I brought up my business insurance and it didn't matter.

I'm not certain how it works, but I wasn't able to find a useable replacement truck for mine when it went down. The dealership now provides me with a replacement, however again, I can't tow with it.

fmyth

WKR
Yeah, and I don't think as a non-corporate you can rent them. It's a matter of insurance coverage I assume. They will rent me a one ton dually locally, but I can't tow with it. Same as the dump trucks they have. I brought up my business insurance and it didn't matter.

I'm not certain how it works, but I wasn't able to find a useable replacement truck for mine when it went down. The dealership now provides me with a replacement, however again, I can't tow with it.
I have rented from them and confirmed in writing that it was ok to tow. It was around $125 a day. That was 18 months ago at the Mesa, AZ location. Perhaps it has changed.

I have rented from them and confirmed in writing that it was ok to tow. It was around $125 a day. That was 18 months ago at the Mesa, AZ location. Perhaps it has changed.

Definitely not my experience. Good to know tho. It really pissed me off that they had one tons, dot numbers and everything, yet no we don't allow towing. Bullschmit.

I guess they just didn't like me. Manager saw me coming and said, "whatever you do, don't let this redneck get a truck!"

fmyth

WKR
Definitely not my experience. Good to know tho. It really pissed me off that they had one tons, dot numbers and everything, yet no we don't allow towing. Bullschmit.

I guess they just didn't like me. Manager saw me coming and said, "whatever you do, don't let this redneck get a truck!"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 8.15.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 8.15.47 AM.png
    547 KB · Views: 14
OP
M

mwebs

WKR
Thanks for the replies I was looking at enterprise but couldn’t find the trucks. Those rental websites are garbage.