Picking a backpack!

Hey everyone,

I have been checking out some bags to begin a backcountry trio at some point in the future. I want to use the bag for local hiking as well but something that I can use to haul meat with when the time comes. I want it to be something that is reasonable in weight but large enough for a hunt out west for several days. I’m 6’2” 200 give or take. 33-34 waist with a pretty long torso. Bags that I’m interested in centered around mystery ranch but other as well. Here were some of the bags that were in consideration. Would like to know what people think about these bags or any recommendations they may have for the future.

mystery ranch
Beartooth
Sawtooth
New popup

exo 3200

Stone glacier 3300

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Where are you located, you may be able to find some guys in your area to try out a frame or two.

Mystery Ranch fan, so biased.

I have the new Guidelight MT frame with both the Beartooth and Sawtooth.

-Beartooth was on a 6 day archery hunt and could easily take that bag for up to 10 days during archery. Later season would be less days due to clothing addition. It's a bit much for anything less than 3 days in my opinion. Just starts getting in the way.

-Sawtooth is my general hiking and hunting pack for day hikes to 3 days. It's awesome. Compresses nicely for day hikes or when only have a little gear. Planning on using it plus load shelf when my 2 boys start joining me on camping trips.

In my pack search, I was torn between MR and EXO. Both fit me well and carried a test load well. I happened to go MR due to a sale at the time of purchase. If EXO had a sale, I could have been an EXO fan.

OP
D
I’m in the Western New York area. Not a lot of outfitters but I will look around.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’m your same size and weight and also have a longer torso. The Kifaru 26” duplex frame is absolutely fantastic.

Lots of bag options and accessories to choose from them as well.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I’m in the Western New York area. Not a lot of outfitters but I will look around.
Post/search in the rallypoint subforum for your area. You may find users in your area that will let you try packs. Before I jumped into a nice pack a guy on here let me try a duplex and bikini frame. He offered to let me use his exo but I was more than happy with the duplex.

Jtb2018

FNG
I run the Kuiu icon pro 5200 tall frame l/xl suspension and I’m 6’ 205. I use it on a 5-7 hunt and also packs down enough to use on day hunts. Have packed out a couple elk with it and it’s super comfortable. Can switch out bags to if you want a different size with ease.

bm-55

FNG
I think you'll be happy with just about all of those, worth looking at Kifaru too (give them a call). I'm similar height/weight and have had great luck with their hunting frame.

joestrow

WKR
Hope you find a winner! I just got my packs last month. Purchased a MR scapegoat 35 for a day pack. Purchased a MR Marshall for multiday/load hauling. Having messed around with both, I wish I would have just got two bags for the GL frame instead of the dedicated day pack.

My brother let me use his Kuiu ultra last year. I wasn’t a big fan, but I’m sure packs are like shoes, try on what you can and find the what works for you.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Buy once, cry once....I’d look into Kifaru. Wish I woulda have listened to this when I started my “ventures”

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in Tonawanda NY. You’re a lot taller and a little skinnier than me, but I’ve got a MR Pinter with a med belt on a guidelight frame if you wanted to try it on. I had the same issue when looking to buy, wasn’t sure, so I just crossed my fingers and jumped on one from the classifieds here. Only used it on a couple short, quick hikes but so far so good. pm me if interested.

Hey everyone,

I have been checking out some bags to begin a backcountry trio at some point in the future. I want to use the bag for local hiking as well but something that I can use to haul meat with when the time comes. I want it to be something that is reasonable in weight but large enough for a hunt out west for several days. I’m 6’2” 200 give or take. 33-34 waist with a pretty long torso. Bags that I’m interested in centered around mystery ranch but other as well. Here were some of the bags that were in consideration. Would like to know what people think about these bags or any recommendations they may have for the future.

mystery ranch
Beartooth
Sawtooth
New popup

exo 3200

Stone glacier 3300
This is like asking for boot recommendations - so many good options.
My .02 - you should look at the Seek Outside Peregrine. Checks all your boxes.

alrick18

Lil-Rokslider
You will get what you pay for. For a quality packs, buy used, you can save a bunch if you don't get in a hurry. The classified section offers good deals from time to time.

Last edited: