Picking a camera...help

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
So I have wanted to get into photography for a long time but have yet to because of the just sheer amount of info. Basically I need help picking a camera. I have no interest in taking nat geo photos but instead want to document my hunt through photos and maybe some video for myself, friends and family.
I started by looking at DSLRs but quickly started looking heavily at mirrorless due to the good video capabilities and chance to grow with my skills. I was almost set on the Sony a6600 or another in the series or the Fuji XT3. There are things that they do not have that I think would be nice but with my lack of experience, I don't know.

Important features (maybe??):
weather sealed
two memory card slots
superior autofocus (a6600)
wide range of available lenses
4k video

I'd like to not spend a fortune. I'd rather spend more money on lenses from what I have read. I may not even like photography. Some days I want to just buy a cheap DSLR (Canon t7i or similar) and grow out of it. What is everyone's opinion? As mentioned, my goal is to document hunts, scenery, some wildlife, and shoot some video. Any advice is appreciated.

What percentage of shots / video are you planning for the following?

- Family and kids
- Nature and travel in general
- Wildlife (super telephoto)

Your answer for the above can help narrow your options in a positive way. For example, with video in the mix, plenty of crop sensor mirrorless cameras and lenses are terrible at average light autofocus tracking during 4K recording. Some are very good, eg Sony A6500+. Whether or not you need that can help narrow your options. Similar thought process goes for super telephoto lenses and wildlife. Let us know and maybe we can give some helpful feedback.

There are a lot of options depending on the budget. You listed weather sealed near the top. I assume that it's important, and it should be in the environment you will be in. Keep in mind while many cameras are weather sealed the majority of lenses are not. The Sony A6600 is a GREAT camera, BUT none of the crop sensor lenses are. To put a full frame lens on that with the 1.5x factor you will have no true wide angle.
Why 2 slots? Wedding and Pro sports photographers need that so they can have files go to 2 cards at a time in case one fails and there is only 1 I do and one game winning point.
You mentioned , "maybe some videos for your self", why 4k
There are 2 fantastic choices.
The Olympus E-M5 mark 2 with the 14-150 lens I listed the other day and the E-M5 Mark 3 that has 4 K
Both have 5 axis image stabilization built in, they are fast and both body and lens are weatherproof.
The Mark 2 video had full 1080 HD video, the Mark 3 has 4k Video

We have the mark 2 on promo for $899.99 with a case and 64 gig rugged card. The mark 3, Normally $1499.99, would be $13479.99 with the same case and card.
In order to get weatherproof cameras and lenses with Canon, Nikon or Sony and have the equivelant focal range with the Olympus you need to spend THOUSANDS of dollars

Feel free to call me top discuss at 516-217-1000
Hope this helps
Joel

The Sony A6600 is a GREAT camera, BUT none of the crop sensor lenses are.
Joel

For video in particular and also general purpose photography, there are many great lenses in the Sony E and FE mirrorless catalog. For super telephoto and wildlife, there are less (you would have to use adapters).

For stills only, I 100% agree Olympus is a great choice as long as you don’t need top tier autofocus. My E-M1 II and GH5 consistently lost focus of my sons face indoors. My A7 III and A6500 never did.

Yes, the Sony lenses are great but the crop sensor lenses are NOT weatherproof. We sell a lot of Sony and Olympus. He mentioned weatherproof as the 2nd most important feature. That takes Sony crop sensor out of the discussion. There is no lens that goes from 28-300 that is weatherproof by Sony for a full frame camera. They do have a 24-240, but putting that on an A7III would end up costing about $2600.00
We have regulars that use Olympus for portraits as well as sports and nobody has complained about your issue. Have you had it checked? We have been selling Olympus mirrorless since they came out with them years ago with no issues. We would be happy to have yours checked for you no charge. As a sponsor here it's our pleasure. I agree that Sony is awesome and there is a reason why they are the #1 selling full frame camera in the USA for 2 solid years.
But in this case, IMO, the E-M5 models are perfect

Thanks
Joel

OP
Virginian

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
What percentage of shots / video are you planning for the following?

- Family and kids
- Nature and travel in general
- Wildlife (super telephoto)

Your answer for the above can help narrow your options in a positive way. For example, with video in the mix, plenty of crop sensor mirrorless cameras and lenses are terrible at average light autofocus tracking during 4K recording. Some are very good, eg Sony A6500+. Whether or not you need that can help narrow your options. Similar thought process goes for super telephoto lenses and wildlife. Let us know and maybe we can give some helpful feedback.

The majority of photos and videos will be nature and travel. What I called wildlife was here in the east where everything will be close. For example we hound hunt a lot for bear and hog so those photos/videos will be really close range like a bear in a tree or bayed. I have no plans with super telephoto right now but may eventually progress that way but I suspect by then I'll need a upgrade or a different setup.
If I had to say I'd be more intrested in photographing than videoing. Thanks for your input

Yes, the Sony lenses are great but the crop sensor lenses are NOT weatherproof. We sell a lot of Sony and Olympus. He mentioned weatherproof as the 2nd most important feature. That takes Sony crop sensor out of the discussion. There is no lens that goes from 28-300 that is weatherproof by Sony for a full frame camera. They do have a 24-240, but putting that on an A7III would end up costing about $2600.00
We have regulars that use Olympus for portraits as well as sports and nobody has complained about your issue. Have you had it checked? We have been selling Olympus mirrorless since they came out with them years ago with no issues. We would be happy to have yours checked for you no charge. As a sponsor here it's our pleasure. I agree that Sony is awesome and there is a reason why they are the #1 selling full frame camera in the USA for 2 solid years.
But in this case, IMO, the E-M5 models are perfect

Thanks
Joel

My experience was different for stills / video mix.

The Sony 24-240mm - possible the worst lens in the FE lineup - in front of modern Sony BSI FF beat my m43 lens catalog. I actually didn’t understand how it was possible, I was in denial too, but side by side, it takes Oly Pro 1.2 or Nocticron to keep up with the technology and sensor difference.

In video mode, not a fair fight - the 24-240mm turns into a monster 24-500mm+ using both FF and crop mode 4K with lossless 4K digital zoom.

That said, nothing wrong with Olympus, I just didn’t find the total offering cheaper, smaller, or better in any circumstance - except for IBIS and super telephoto of course.

I went with the Olympus em 5. So far so good. Already added another lens. I will probably stick with Olympus. You just cant beat the full weatherproofing. It rugged.

I just picked an A6500 and love it. I switched from Nikon and am now fully invested with switching everything over to Sony.

Anything Sony we will give you the Rokslide special pricing, anything you need please check with us.
Thanks
Joel

Late to the party . . . I recommend picking up a decent compact camera. One that shoots in RAW format so that you can make great edits. There are some free software programs to do that. Also, for the cost of a good crop lens, you can get some invaluable experience and learn more about what you want in a larger set up. And when you do, you'll still want the compact camera as a handy pocket option.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
I have two Olympus em1ii bodies and a number of their pro lenses. Big fan of the micro 4/3 format. But my day in day out carry is an em5ii with the 14-150ii and the 17,25, and 45 1.8 lenses. Just not much a person can’t cover with this kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our #1 inter changeable lens camera system for outdoorsmen is the Olympus system
The E-M5 mark 2 and 3 and the E-M1 Mark 2 since they matched it with the 12-200 lens.
Both bodies and the lenses are weatherproof, have built in image stabilization and the E-M5 Mark3 and the E-M1 Mk2 have 4k video. The E-m1 MK2 is one of the fastest cameras on the market

Raw is a totally uncompressed file and virtually every camera with interchangeable lenses and the better point and shoots have it

AndySee

FNG
I've got a basic Canon T6 but I have a blast shooting with it. My question is which lens do you guys find yourselves using most often while hunting/backpacking? I really enjoy scenery shots with a large aperature but if you had to choose one...

Canon makes a great 16-35mm f4, they make a 2.8 as well but VERY pricey. The F4 is an L lens as well and normally is $1099.99, there's a $100 Instant rebate to $999.99. Would cost you $939.99, shipped to a street address in the US.
Tamron make a terrific lens, 10-24mm. Not a fast F stop. Perfect for day time pictures. Normally $499.99, would be $474.99

Keep in mind, for scenic pictures you will shoot at the higher range of F stop for more depth of field, F8, F11 or higher

Joel

Lost Buck

FNG
Canon makes a great 16-35mm f4, they make a 2.8 as well but VERY pricey. The F4 is an L lens as well and normally is $1099.99, there's a $100 Instant rebate to $999.99. Would cost you $939.99, shipped to a street address in the US.
Tamron make a terrific lens, 10-24mm. Not a fast F stop. Perfect for day time pictures. Normally $499.99, would be $474.99

Keep in mind, for scenic pictures you will shoot at the higher range of F stop for more depth of field, F8, F11 or higher

Joel