Picking a new Bullet. how do you all choose

Luked

WKR
So how do you all pick a bullet out that is new to you that you have never seen.
im getting ready to start reloading for my 270 Win and I have shot factory Federal Preimium ammo out of it that is loaded with a 130 gr Sierra Game king and the gun shoots them really well. 1/2" at 100 easily.
so with a hunt out west coming up this season for Antelope I want to shoot more just to get the practice. So im planning on loading my own. have all the stuff to do it just never really messed with it a ton yet on the 270.
So wanted to ask you all how do you pick a new bullet.
Do you base it off type of tip, BC, weather its a boat tail? how do you all pick.

The bullet I am looking at getting to try out is a Sierra TGK in 140 Gr. its a plastic tipped bullet that has a BC of .507 at 2600 FPS and above.
the 130 Game Kings I was shooting out of the factory Federal are 130 Gr and have a BC of .436 at 2600 FPS and above.

I'm leaning to the 140s pretty hard but wanted to get your alls opinions.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I only shoot Nosler bullets. I've had great luck with Partitions and Accubonds, as well as, 120 grain NBTs in my 7-08.

I chose these because of the great accuracy and on game performance.

MThuntr

WKR
I don't use Sierra bullets however do load for 270Win (my bias for hunting rounds is toward nonlead) however I usually tend to go for a combo that should yield around 2900-3000fps (I have no idea why).

My preference would be the 140 (you should be able to work your way to 2900fps pretty easily) and then you have a solid combo for just about everything in North America.

JFK

WKR
Unless you plan on routinely taking shots beyond 400yds then don’t let BC drive your decision. Tons of good bullets out there these days. I chose 110gr Barnes TTSX to start hand loading for my 270. Have shot the factory 130gr TTSX for years now with great accuracy and performance on game. To me, a 270 is meant to be a fast, flat shooting rifle. Copper bullets in 110-130 or lead bullets in 130gr seem to the most widely used in 270.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
ok cool thanks fellas. I really liked how the 130s shot out of the gun in the factory Federal rounds so ill just stay with those.
im not looking to shoot 1000 yards or anything like that 400 would probably be my limit.

Don't mess with a good thing if you like it. Get a box of Game Kings and start tinkering with powders and weights. You'll get there fairly fast.

I agree with JFK... ballistic coefficients have never killed an animal. For me, I try to pick something that holds together when it hits something (first and foremost) and shoots fairly reliably. Sometimes this takes a bit of trial and error. I prefer to shoot copper bullets just because I don't like the idea of eating lead, but I'll also shoot bonded lead bullets. It seems like a decent rule of thumb is shoot copper fast (get them to expand) and shoot lead slower (opposite), and most of the looking I have done seems like about 3000 fps is about the break point, literally and figuratively.

N2TRKYS

WKR
You should be able to get a 150 grain Partition around 3000fps in your 270 Win. I easily broke 2900fps out of my 22" barreled 270 Win with RL26 powder.

Napperm4

WKR
Being a hunting rig, I look at the terminal performance I’m looking for then something with the highest BC I can find.

My 270 WSM hates everything 140 grain except the game changers.

74195bbf90d787ea3154fd0121a171a3.jpg

I have been using Nosler / Hornady bullets up until now. I prefer a bonded bullet for the most part and find anything Hornady other than interbonds to be too frangible.

Worked a load for my Old Man’s Remington 700 in 270 using old school 140 grain hornady boat tails. He and the gun love them. On paper you can usually cover the holes with a nickel.

The jerk took a whitetail out on a running shot quartering away from 502 yards in a 40 mph wind 2 seasons ago. Lucky shot but dropped the deer on the spot, bullet went though the ribs and out the front shoulder. Very little meat damage or bruising, internal we’re jello.

That’s the performance I would like out of a hunting bullet. Accurate, repeatable and we’ve recovered quite a few out of deer of varying ranges that are perfect mushrooms.

I worked up a great load for my Brothers 270, also a Remington with nosler 150 partitions. It’s shooting them just under 3/4 inch from a bare bones stock gun with a cheap scope.

Did a really accurate load for another brother’s 30-06. We digiscoped the target thankfully because we had to slow it down. I was calling missed when he was punching the same hole. Hornady SSTs. He got surprised by a deer from 20’ during a stalk and shot it around 30’ away. Wasn’t much left of the mid section, hamburgered the back straps, neck and shoulder on the exit side. Not an ideal shot to take but he’s back to partitions and feels safer in less than ideal circumstances.

Just a few experiences I’ve gained pushing me more towards terminal performance when looking for a bullet than just focussing on non match high BC bullets

Last edited:

bowstruck

FNG
I always base the bullet on application. Is it a hunting round or target round...etc. Each rifle is different as well, pending twist rate and barrel length...etc. Then I load for application and rifle, test, adjust and retest.

The TGK's are good bullets and would be a good place to start. Nothing wrong with using what you know works either but starting from scratch give me the higher BC in a bullet that should have the desired external ballistics.

Worked a load for my Old Man’s Remington 700 in 270 using old school 140 grain hornady boat tails. He and the gun love them. The jerk took a whitetail out on a running shot quartering away from 502 yards in a 40 mph wind 2 seasons ago and proved his point on those.

Getting lucky on a pot shot proves nothing.

tdhanses

WKR
The TGK's are good bullets and would be a good place to start. Nothing wrong with using what you know works either but starting from scratch give me the higher BC in a bullet that should have the desired external ballistics.

Not much to add but seriously, 40mph wind? Sounds like the 30pt buck.

Napperm4

WKR

I completely agree.

My dad is a member here also and it’s probably the first deer he’s killed that cleanly so it’s a running joke in the group.

I pushed the deer towards him and for all I know he stumbled and discharged because I didn’t have the best view point.

I meant proved the point on the terminal performance. I’ll clear that up in my original post.

tdot

WKR
While I dont let BC rule my decision making, it does have some weight for me. I prefer less wind drift at any length of shot.

But it all comes down to terminal performance and consistency for me. I like to shoot a bullet that works both above and below my expected impact velocities. I dont want to be borderline when shooting an animal.

I also prefer a bullet that can hit bone, or hit 100% soft tissue and perform as effectively.

I've found the Hammer bullets to be the most effective at meeting my goals. Also liked Accubonds, but the idea of lead in the meat has started to bother me now that I have kids.

Crang

FNG
When I get a new barrel or rifle I'll get 3-4 boxes of different bullets, run a ladder test for each and then pick the one my barrel liked best. Next 2 range trips are fine tuning the charge and seating depth then dont ever worry about it again.

Mightyman

FNG
For years I used the Federal Premium Ballistic tips in my Remington 270 and they shot awesome
Then my son starting LD and loaded me some 130 Bergers
He dialed the load in for me and they shoot mich better, same whole at 100
But as a fallback the 130 federals are in safe also.
o have hunted elk but never win BT only Partitions and Accubonds

Mightyman

FNG
Accubonds are awesome also.
went on elk hunt with son in 2014 to Montana
He shot his 5X5 with Model Seven 7.08 140 Accubonds
And I got a 5x5 with 7 mm 160 grain AB
They are great also

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
my 270 winchester loves nosler 150 ballistic tips. i have shot a boatload of deer with it, and all but two dropped instantely at the hit and never even twitched. the only two that didnt, were because i hit them a smidge further back than intended. one was 70 yards and walking. as i started to squeeze, started to trot.....hit right through the diaphragm....that one ran 20 yards and tipped over dead. #2 ran up on me, and i had the scope mag too high. all i could see was brown, and when i fired, i had hit it centered through the guts. that one made it 40 ft. out of 30+ deer. word of warning.....go for lung shots. if you hit the front shoulder, you can just figure on throwing both of them away. slip it through the lungs, and you loose nothing of importance.

For antelope, i dont figure you need a 150....130 should do everything you want or need. I dont see a need for partition on smaller species of deer with the 270 caliber. I always liked the 150s.....i had one good load pushing the nosler 150 ballistic tips at 2890 fps out of a 22’’ ruger m77. I gave that rifle to my nephew, i am switching to a no.1 in 270 with a 26 inch barrel. I shot some 130’s out of it and was getting 1 hole groups at 100 yards. I will see how it does with the 150 grainers at some point-probably after i put a recoil pad on it.

I never used sierra bullets in my 270; brother did and said most deer he hit ran about 40 yards. Havent killed any with the hornady in the 270 either. Nor speer....but i do have some grand slams loaded up ready to shoot through the no.1.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I load Sierra flat base 150s for 3006. Best shooting bullet in my gun, can do an inch at 200 if I'm on my game. Also load nosler partition with great accuracy.

Just getting to load for 243 and picked up some 90 gr game changers or tipped game kings if you will. Looks like a decent bullet. Will try it out with a moderate 3000 fps load and see how she shoots. I'm liking the idea of the plastic tips and hoping not to flatten the lead tips in the magazine during recoil.

Game kings are excellent bullets and you would do well to include them in your reloading. The bullets are cheap, easy to reload. Shoot great and just plain drop game.

Load em both up and have em both with you. Just know where they shoot off the same zero.

Antope aren't that tough, the game changers might be a little tougher bullet than you need.