Picking a pair of binoculars-Overwhelmed by options

dtm6582

FNG
Hi all,

In the market to buy in the next few months and I've been searching and reading reviews for the last several days. I had a set of Razor Talon HD's 8x42 that went to my now ex-wife. These were the first REAL binoculars I ever used. Once I got used to them I was very impressed, but that took a little fiddling.

Unlike most here, I don't hunt much anymore (although I would if I found a buddy inclined to). But I really like having a good set of binoculars around for what I would call "general viewing". They're great to take in wilderness areas. A must have if you're staying near the shore and want to watch ocean wildlife, boats, etc. I'm not a 'heavy user' out glassing late at night for game, but the best animal activity tends to happen towards dawn and sunset so I want something decent for low light conditions.

I'm not really hung up on total price, but I am very price (or maybe I should say value) sensitive. Big on "best bang for the buck" and I hate paying for a name if the extra $ isn't deserved/worth it.

So that's left me here:

I've set my target on 8x42. That's not based on anything though so if there are better options I'm open to opinions.

Mavic c.1-Looks like these usually go on sale around the end of the year under $300. Great reviews here for sure.
Meopta Meopro-Up to the range $500 now, again great reviews. Several others in this range that look promising. I had Vipers on my list but seems like their QA has been a little spotty since the move to China (based on reviews).
Zeiss Conquest HD-Given my infrequent usage it's hard for me to justify $1000 for a set of binoculars.
Swarovski SLC's-Haha, what can I say. I know you guys love them but wow that's a price tag.

I am 100% open to buying used.

I know enthusiast forums can be a tough place to ask for opinions, but you guys seem to have a lot of good, well founded opinions on the matter so I thought I would create an account and throw out a post. I know there are other posts discussing this but I couldn't find anything recent so fall of 2019, what are you all thinking? Keep in mind, I'm happy to wait until holiday deals.

FYI, I also read JRDEERE's post and there's a lot of good info, he's just using optics that are higher priced than what I want to spend (but yes, I can spend that $ if I need to).

Edit: All that and I forgot to ask my biggest question. If you were me and just wanted some glass for general viewing, would you grab something okay in the $300 range or would you still work up to the higher price tiers.

Thanks all!!!

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
I think you would be well served with a used pair of Vipers. I currently have them in 8x42 and I also have the SLCs. The gap isn't mind blowing between the two, at least in my opinion. I had the Vipers and Razors (Japan made) and sold the latter to fund my SLC purchase. I think the Vipers are the best bang for buck out there. I just happened to be willing to pay the extra coin for that 5-10% performance upgrade for the Swaros.

I've also looked through a couple Mavens through their demo program. You should try that out if you're not in a rush to buy.

Mavens are excellent buys.

If you can drop a $1000 buy the series and compare to the Meopta Meostars and contenders in that category.

If you want to spend $300 bucks or whatever and have plenty good binos and be done, grab the C1s which have a small cult following for not much money.

Swaro is Swaro. Buy if you wanna spend that.

At some point right around the C1 level you’re paying for shine and name not finding more critters.

It depends on what your using the glass for. I've been lurking on this forum and figured out that the Swarovski were about the best optically and with the warranty it's pretty much the best your ever going to see. That puts an end to constantly looking for the best. The other late afternoon I was out scouting for whitetail and we flushed aa dozen birds and they flew into some trees about 75 yards away. Wife had the 10x42 EL Swarovski and I have Nikon Monarch 5 8x42. I said I see 4 Mourning dove in the tree. She said no there are 8 dove and about 10 Meadowlark in there as well. I we swapped and dang I could see the as well in the shadows. Nikon Monarchs are not at all what I would consider bad binoculars. Then down lower I could see a Tom and a few hens just standing there near some ferns.
Then a few days later she says look at that fox laying down next to that log. I missed it with my Nikons and she saw it with hers. If I added up all the cheaper binoculars I've purchased and what I lost selling the I might have already got the Swarovski. I just wish there way a way to rent these for few weeks to have a lot of time to figure it out what works for you.

prm

WKR
I hunted with Swaro 10x42 ELs last year borrowed from a friend. Very nice. They were better than my Vortex Viper HDs, but not what I would consider as dramatically better. But I ended up buying Swaro 8x30 CLs. They are perfect for me. Crystal clear, easy to carry, easy to hold and view, and game just seems to stand out. I really can’t say enough good things about them. I tried a few other smallish 8x before trying these. I currently pair them with a small spotter, but looking into a Kowa or possibly some 15x binos for longer range work.

Last edited: