Picking a press

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
I am building a rifle and have chosen 25 creedmoor (I have components/dies) as one of the cartridges it will fire, so naturally I also need to get some reloading equipment. I will be using this as primarily a hunting and range rifle, maybe eventually get into competing, but not in the near future. I have been doing a lot of searching online for a press to begin with, and there are just too many options it seems. Being a lefty I like the open designs of the MEC Marksman, RCBS Summit, Lyman Brass Smith Turret, and Frankford Arsenal M-Press. They all seem to have pretty favorable reviews out there, can take the Lock N Load adapters (except M-Press) and all seem to cost the same (M-Press heavily discounted though).

So which press should I buy?

MEC Marksman $230 shipped
Lyman Turret $240 shipped
RCBS Summit $225ish shipped
Frankford M-Press $130 shipped

Thanks for help spending my money haha

Anyone one of those will get you started and years of use. The rcbs or mec would be the 2 I'll choose from if it was me. I know the mec you can orientate the handle left or right.

sndmn11

WKR
I use my Mpress and my dad's RCBS. I like the Mpress substantially more because I have more room for my hands, I don't have to worry about she'll holders if a friend asks me to load, and the die block things are convenient once I changed out the set brass set screw.

OP
mlawrence125

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
Will the Hornady Match grade micrometer seater fit in the M-Press? it looks like it could be close to contacting the handle on the down stroke.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with the Turret. Reloading is a vortex of fun, time, and precision. I have 8 different presses and use the Turret most often; it’s the only one that stays on my bench permanently.

You will use 3-5 different dies/each caliber reloading precision cases and it quickly becomes a pain to change everything out. You will most likely also end up with different projects at the same time too.

Clarktar

WKR
My RCBS has been great, but I get tired of swapping dies and getting depth where I want it each time yada yada. Time is precious in my busy life. Once I setup my reloading area again I will be looking for a turret style press. The lyman press looks interesting!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
mlawrence125

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
For everyone who has commented, are the other presses worth double what the M-press is? I am not against spending what these cost, just wondering if there is a tangible benefit to the 225-250 presses over the $130 M-press? The money saved could be applied to other necessities, but I wont be loading for a while so ill have time to save up again if I go the more expensive route.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
The difference in the more expensive presses is bullet run out. I have the MEC Marksman with the Hornady conversion bushing in for quick die changes and my bullet run out is never more than 2 thousands at the most.

Challis

FNG
I have used all of them except the MEC. I keep coming back to my old Forster Coaxial press that I purchased in 1981 when it was called Bonanza.

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
while it may be worth it, I'm not trying to spend close to $400 on just press, if I could find one in stock as well

get an old usa made used rcbs jr, which will do everything you need for cheap, and then shop for a used co-ax. Recently I have seen 2 come up for $250-300 on the forums we all frequent. When you get the co-ax then set up the jr as a dedicated press, or pass it down the line.

Sled

WKR
For everyone who has commented, are the other presses worth double what the M-press is? I am not against spending what these cost, just wondering if there is a tangible benefit to the 225-250 presses over the $130 M-press? The money saved could be applied to other necessities, but I wont be loading for a while so ill have time to save up again if I go the more expensive route.

To me, yes. But I do have another press to leave setup for priming/depriming and handgun. I load precision rifle rounds for hunting and target. After years of going cheap I purchased the MEC for lower runout and improved ES. It's done that for me and worth the cost, Imo. If that's not your thing and you are just building rounds for MOA then just about any press will work. In that case, I'd say find a cheap or used press that is still quality and load away. You can upgrade later if you want and the old one will still be of use.

robtattoo

WKR
Another vote for Forster Co-Ax. I lucked into one a couple of years back for $150 & now I've reset all my dies to suit it, I can't imagine ever going back to a press with shell holders & threaded dies. Mine is permanently bolted to my bench (with my Dillon on the other end) & I use it strictly for 'important' rifle ammo.
I would absolutely look for a used co-ax over pretty well anything else, new.