Picking an Alaska Peninsula Guide

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
I think I have committed myself to making this hunt a reality since I got my deposit back on an African Hunt.....didn't see myself traveling internationally for a few years due to current virus climate. It wasnt a super expensive hunt and mostly cull but with the plane ticket it was gonna get a tad expensive. I think I have decided I'm gonna put the money toward a different dream hunt. To the question......would anyone recommend booking Brown Bear hunt on the Peninsula through Steve's Outdoor Adventures or is there a better more cost effective way to approach this? I have never hunted Alaska, I spent two summers fishing there about a decade ago with the intention of hunting there one day, so I don't really know the best way to approach committing to an outfitter/researching to make sure I get a good quality experience and not a nightmare.

One add on.....anyone know if black bear can be added to this type of hunt on the Peninsula?

VernAK

WKR
Years back I hunted AK Pen quite a lot but I'm out of touch with guides and outfitters down there. I think Butch King sold out. I'll search my notes and get back to you if I can find something.

I always liked the Peninsula as there were numerous moose and caribou at that time.

Who does Steve book for down there?

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
One add on.....anyone know if black bear can be added to this type of hunt on the Peninsula?

I worked the Alaska Peninsula guiding for many decades, and had a lodge on Lake Clark and another lodge near King Salmon, AK.

Your wasting your time and money on Black Bears in any part of the AK Peninsula below Lake Clark-Iliamna Lake.

OP
J

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Years back I hunted AK Pen quite a lot but I'm out of touch with guides and outfitters down there. I think Butch King sold out. I'll search my notes and get back to you if I can find something.

I always liked the Peninsula as there were numerous moose and caribou at that time.

Who does Steve book for down there?

Unsure who Steve books down there, but appreciate the response! Any info is always appreciated if you find your old notes

OP
J

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
I worked the Alaska Peninsula guiding for many decades, and had a lodge on Lake Clark and another lodge near King Salmon, AK.

Your wasting your time and money on Black Bears in any part of the AK Peninsula below Lake Clark-Iliamna Lake.

Good to know on black bears, thx!!

No Black bears below Illiamna.
Steve is a booking agent, A great resource for new operations, or guys who just don’t want to be bothered with marketing.
In addition to Shoemaker is Phil Byrd. Arctic North Guides. Shoemaker described him as a very good guide in a very good area; Byrd is a very squared away guide, pilot, outfitter and friend.
I’ve guided fly out fishing on the peninsula for 20 years. Done quite a bit of fishing in the areas hunted by both of the Phil’s, others too for that matter. There are a lot of big ass bears.
I have not heard what, if anything, the state is going to do about the cancelled spring Bear season this year. My guess is the guides/outfitters are trying to figure out what they’re going to do with the guys who were booked for this spring as well.
Regardless I’d get busy soon making inquiries. Both those old guys square over 10 foot; still skinny the sockeye have just arrived, “No tellum creek “ in Phil’s area, less than 400 yards from the plane.
Good luck

Attachments

• CE6682F0-38D4-46E2-B39F-37412FBA97F7.jpeg
    CE6682F0-38D4-46E2-B39F-37412FBA97F7.jpeg
    622.8 KB · Views: 29

WBT

FNG
I hunted moose with Phil Shoemaker a few years back and saw a ton of bears while I was there. I believe Phil’s son and daughter are now running the outfit. I would have no hesitation booking with them.

Ovis Outfitters - I had a great hunt with these folks and they are first class people. See my review. They also hunt brown bears on the Peninsula and I think they would be worth contacting and looking into also. Salmonchaser has some really good advise also on someone. I would trust his opinion on an outfit for sure.

Scottf270

WKR
Steve books for Canoe Bay Outfitters on the Peninsula. Jeremy Davis and Steve Hakula. Jeremy owns Lake Clark Lodge I think. I know Jon Burrows and Andrew Weaver guide for them. Heck of a nice private setup with cabins and private leased land.
I hunted in fall 19 near the Katmai with Cabot Pitts. It was a rough year for weather and bear movement. Passed a decent boar and saw a lot of sows and cubs. I think Cabot learned he needs to have a way to move around his area should the same conditions arise again. He's a good young guy.
Grizzly Skins ( Phil Shoemaker ) record speaks for itself. If they are not the top outfit on the peninsula, I wouldn't know who is. The kids are running it now, but they seem to be doing a great job.
One final note. There are a lot of outfits on private land, guide exclusive and state land. They all kill big bears. The difference is how many hunters are they running thru their camps?, Quality of guides and knowledge of area?, Limited competition from other outfits including outfitters own clients? Etc.
They all have pictures of big bears but if they take 10 guys and kill two 10'ers what do you think about their success if your one of the 8 who ponied up over 20 grand and went home empty. It happens even at the best outfits as nothing is guaranteed. ( I know first hand).
Good luck in your search.