Picking Up a 2.8 Duamax Diesel Chevy CO

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
When I bought my last truck I really wanted a diesel for the towing power but I decided to go with a gasser because I only drive 15 miles per day for my round trip commute and don't tow frequently enough. I decided I would never heat the engine up enough for the cycles.

eoperator

WKR
I have a 19 zr2 3.6, 20k on it now not a problem with it. I went through the gas vs diesel debate glad I went with gas. I have a buddy that bought the diesel and he regrets it.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
eoperator, is yours one with the 8 speed transmission? Thanks!

ElkNut

Brooks

WKR
I’ve had diesels pickup trucks since my first one in 1994 some times they sit for weeks at a time, sometimes my wife drives one they are no different than any truck except they have a ton more power and if you do the maintance on them they go for 300,000 to 500,000 miles. Since 1994 I don’t think I’ve had a diesel in the shop more than twice ...once a bad sensor and once an oil leak....great trucks !!

Randle

WKR
The trans shudder is from moisture in the ATF. There was a bad load of atf from the supplier to GM. They should be flushing and replacing all the trans fluid not just drain and fill.
As far as gas v diesel you pay more for the diesel upfront and everything is more expensive to repair. or replace.

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
I have an 18 2.8l ZR2. I have had many more issues with the dealerships than the truck its self. I absolutely love the truck and wouldn't have anything else for what I use it for.

Mosby

WKR
Mosby, what are the symptoms of the diesel if it isn't getting driven far enough? I'll do my best to avoid that but it would be nice to know what to look for, thanks!

ElkNut
I have gotten a warning on the display a couple of times that went away by driving it for awhile. I can't remember exactly what the warning said but it was related to the fuel and the truck sitting. No long term issues.

fmyth

WKR
I’ve had diesels pickup trucks since my first one in 1994 some times they sit for weeks at a time, sometimes my wife drives one they are no different than any truck except they have a ton more power and if you do the maintance on them they go for 300,000 to 500,000 miles. Since 1994 I don’t think I’ve had a diesel in the shop more than twice ...once a bad sensor and once an oil leak....great trucks !!
Have you owned a 2010 or later diesel with DEF?

three5x5s

WKR
Mobile 1 has come with 2 new fluids and still had the shutter, my 8 speed had the org. fluid and then 2 new ones form Mobile 1. The fluid change and flush fixed it for about 300-400 miles then it was back. Had to wait on the last flush for the new Boush pump as all Chevy/GMC dealers went to it to change/flush the new fluid.They may have found a fix as I got my 2020 6 speed Nov 2019. Check out the "Colorado forum" its just for Chevy Colorado. Some good info on whats good and bad and lots of how to fix them up. Isnt the diesel ZR2 called the Bison.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
I don't see that they offer a 6 speed gas? I only see 8 speed gas models! 6 speed in the diesels.

The ZR2 comes is the regular Colorado or in the Bison.

ElkNut

Randle

WKR
Mobile 1 has come with 2 new fluids and still had the shutter, my 8 speed had the org. fluid and then 2 new ones form Mobile 1. The fluid change and flush fixed it for about 300-400 miles then it was back. Had to wait on the last flush for the new Boush pump as all Chevy/GMC dealers went to it to change/flush the new fluid.They may have found a fix as I got my 2020 6 speed Nov 2019. Check out the "Colorado forum" its just for Chevy Colorado. Some good info on whats good and bad and lots of how to fix them up. Isnt the diesel ZR2 called the Bison.
Interesting we have not had a return complaint after doing a complete flush exchange and performing fast relearn of the trans adapts.
Possibly the fluid exchange wasn't done correctly?

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks! That's what I've noticed too. I don't believe the ZR2 comes in a 4 cylinder! As Randle mentions it seems they've cleared up the problem which was water in the Transmission Fluid from their supplier, hope so! (grin) Thanks!

p.s. 5Miles, no way I'd own a manual.

ElkNut

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Ha Ha, we have a 94 toyota 5 speed for elk hunting, other than that, no thanks, I love the automatic, that way I don't have to shift & spill my coffee! (grin) I'm just spoiled I guess!!

ElkNut

Since 1994 I don’t think I’ve had a diesel in the shop more than twice ...

You need to buy a lottery ticket if this is the case

To the op, I can't weigh in on the new "little" diesels as they are designed and built for different purposes than their big brothers. I can tell you that The 3/4's on up cannot sit and only run a few miles here and there or there WILL be problems and not specific to any one brand. I can also tell you that a new def system in a 1 1/4ton 2011 costs close to $8,000 and the dodge dealer said it was specifically from sitting and not being ran enough. I also have 2- 2015 Dmax's (one 2500 and one 3500) that have had a slew of def issues. All been warrantied so far but annoying and puts them out of commission for periods at a time.

choose wisely

Driving a diesel only a couple miles here and there is the worst thing you can do to them. I was always told by multiple diesel mechanic friends that if the bulk of your driving is less than 30 minutes one way at a time to just drive a gasser. I have a duramax myself. They are built for long drives at highway speeds, anything less than that will cause it to wear faster. Just make sure to use a quality fuel additive with every fill up to keep the injectors properly lubricated.