picking up a new pistol tomorrow

6t4nova

WKR
So I ended splurging a little bit :) Going to pick up a Kimber Stainless Raptor ii tomorrow afternoon. It's going to be my new carry gun. Can't wait to get this thing and break it in!

IAHNTR

WKR
Now that is one sexy machine. I'm waiting on my carry permit that should be here any day and ready to purchase my first pistol. Pretty excited.

OP
6t4nova

6t4nova

WKR
Cool. Have you eye on any yet? My next purchase is the .22 conversion kit so I can do some cheap plinking around

Hardstalk

WKR
That thing is sweet! Ive been looking at the pf9 from keltec. I want light but reliable. Dont know much about pistols.

bbrown

WKR
Someday I will add a Kimber Tactical Pro II or a Springer TRP to my arsenal.... Or maybe both...

Instead of a conversion kit think about the GSG 1911-22. I picked up one for around $240 from Buds Guns on Gunbroker and that thing is awesome - I have put over 5000 rounds thru it so far. Its only a few ounces lighter than your typical full size 1911 and supposedly @80% of the parts are true 1911 so they are interchangeable which means you can make the .22 feel, fit and function just like your 1911.

Out of curiosity, I intentionally refused to clean it until it started acting up and I was well into the 3rd brick (2300+) shots before I finally had to give in. I feed either bulk Federal or Winchester bulk ammo that is around 1240 FPS and really do not have many malfunctions otherwise. Keep in mind if I only shot the premium CCI type ammo and kept it cleaned regularly (22 is dirty ammo) I think it would be flawless.

My only complaints are:
- The fit and finish are not perfect and a few of the parts are cast instead of machined but then again its a $240 gun so you get what you pay for.
- The #1 complaint against this gun is the guide rod breaking because it is cast - which mine did. GSG was pretty quick on the warranty and I ended up ordering a machined aluminum one for $12 to replace the factory and no problems since.
- Why in the hell they have to "print" so much info on the slide - it stands out and looks tacky. Annoyed me alot at first but I got used to it. Guess I could always cerekote (Sp??) it if I wanted....

Do not go for the Chippewa - its junk and Sig is putting their name on the GSG and selling it as a Sig but it is literally the same gun.

bbrown

WKR
Hardstalk - a buddy of mine owns the PF9 and abuses it (he literally does not own a cleaning kit). It lives on his pack belt on the prairie starting in August then to the wilderness thru December and in his truck the rest of the time so lots of weather and dust and it has never failed on him. Keltec does have the hit or miss reputation though.

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
6t4nova, nice pistol. I like the scale serrations on the front strap and grip. I'm sure you will love your new kimber. If you carry it alot make sure you put some rust preventitive on it, especially under the grip panels. I have a pro carry II hd and i made the mistake of thinking that just because it was stainless it would not rust. After packing it in the summer months and sweating on it(when i first got Ithink i drooled on it a little too) i noticed rust on the side closest to my body and found a nasty suprise when i took the grip panels off to clean it.:( That said i really like my kimber.

bbrown, good sugestion on the GSG. My dad has one and it is a good pistol for the money. I agree with the complaints you listed and i would only add one more to that list. The magazines are expensive although they seem to be well built from what i can tell.

Last edited:
OP
6t4nova

6t4nova

WKR
BB - thanks for the info on the GSG. I'll have to take a look at that!

Oldgrowth - good point about the rust preventative. Didn't think about that one....I would have been a little dissapointed myself. I'll be doing that first thing.

I had been looking around for a while for a Raptor II. No shops in the area had any and siad it was a minimum 10 month wait since it comes from the custom shop of Kimber. Luckily I found an individual selling one that was new, never fired.

bbrown

WKR
6t4nova - No problem! Did you pick it up yet and have you shot it yet? What do you think?

Oldgrowth - Good point and they are well built but for $35 (or more) a pop I don't see myself adding too many more.

OP
6t4nova

6t4nova

WKR
6t4nova - No problem! Did you pick it up yet and have you shot it yet? What do you think?

The guy had something come up yesterday at work and couldn't make it. I am going to pick it up this morning at 11. Hope to get out this weekend and shoot it some. Was going to go to the local indoor range (its new) but they want $20 an hour to shoot! :eek:

IAHNTR

WKR
Going to go look/handle some at Scheels after work tonight. This will be something to carry often. I will come back with what I think and some questions.

IAHNTR

WKR
Kinda forgot this thread. I handled a Glock 27 and a Kahr CM9. I like the Glock for fit and feel and the Kahr for a noticeably thinner (single stack) body. The Kahr also seemed very small in the hand and very top heavy, like it wanted to fall forward out of your hand. I also liked the simplicity of the Glock as well. I am very leary of no affirmative safety on either of these. Is this something I should be worried of? I mean I have rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders, but no pistols. So I'm just not used to no safety.

I'm still trying to decide on a smaller pistol that could be pocket carried or a slightly larger on that would be in a IWB holster. I guess I just don't have enough experience to push me one way of the other. Maybe it's one of those things that you just get comfortable with over time, whichever it may be. A family friend has a Ruger LCP (pocket 380) that I'm going to try and handle and shoot here shortly. Hopefully I will either LOVE it or HATE it. That would make my decision easier. I "think" I would like a .40, but keep saying to myself that a 380 in your pocket is better than .40 at home. I just don't want to drop the cash on something that will spend more time at home rather than on me.