Picking who shoots 1st Elk???

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
Curious what other guys/crews do when there are 2 or multiple guy hunting together. Who gets the first shot? Who's calling? My hunting buddy and I kinda go by who went first last year or if someone ate tag soup. Wondering what others do to figure out who leads off the season.

Bar

Banned
I've never even thought of that as a solo hunter. I can see it being a problem.

cnelk

WKR
First person with first opp get to shoot.

Many times we have killed 2 elk at the same time.
Once we shot 3 in one morning - all archery

topher89

WKR
If it would be a guy's first elk and it is within his skill set, he gets first go. If everyone has gotten an elk before or if everyone has never gotten an elk before, flip a coin and alternate days. One day you get first shot, the next day he gets first shot and so on until the trip is over.

For me and the guys I hunt with we start with whoever hasn't killed that species the longest. After that we switch off on whoever had a real shot opportunity. For instance 3rd season here in CO I was up first and had a shot opportunity on opening day. I didn't close the deal so he was up next. So on and so forth.

jaredgreen

Lil-Rokslider
I guess if I was hunting with someone that I had to worry too much about it, I'd be looking for a new partner. If your buddy is as interested in your success as his own, and vice versa, I don't think it really matters that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flashmo

FNG
Whenever I have hunted with another person, we have done hunter/caller setups having 2 or 3 people, either alternating days or individual setups. Shooter on that setup is the shooter.

Shooter gets rights to any horns. Anyone involved as shooter/caller/packer gets a share of the meat because each person helped make that hunt a success (if everyone tags out then it is a wash).

If you fill your tag, you are a designated caller/spotter/packer until the planned hunt is over.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I've got a good shot, and it's a bull I want to shoot, I'm taking it. I would expect anyone else with me to do the same....even if we're shooting at the same elk. But I normally hunt solo. The only time it made a difference was when a buddy had a ML tag and I had the archery tag. He wanted me to shoot first. And when I did, the bull was quite a bit closer to him than me.

JPD350

WKR
I tried the every other day thing and will never do it that way again. I went on a moose hunt and we did the every other day thing and dam if the only opportunities we had were on my partners days, so every day that was my turn we worked our butts off and had no opportunities and on his days he was sneaking in to try and kill so after 14 days he had at least 4 or 5 fun stalking opportunities and I ended the trip with zero attempts to kill, LOL I felt like an unpaid guide. I think every other opportunity is by far better than the every other day thing, at least each person will probably get a chance to kill something.

wyosteve

WKR
We flip a coin for the 'right of first refusal' the first day and alternate thereafter. If an animal is within shooting range and the guy with the 'first right' that day doesn't want it, the option goes to the next guy.

We play Glock, Paper, Scissors...hint hint Glock always wins

On a serious note we usually just take turns, sometimes though one guy is position the other isnt. You just have to accept it. I have also done hunts with a buddy that has a long bow, i usually try to call for him, sometimes though he cant take the shot, and even at 70 yards i can, so if he gives me the thumbs up i go...I think its totally situational for the most part. I have been on hunts where we are chasing a bugle and sometimes you split up to try and cut the bull off sometimes you get the shot sometimes you dont, most of the time no one does...lol

Hunter6

WKR
We go by who spots it first no matter the size. If you pass because it's smaller than you want, you go to the back of the line.

---

Follow me on Instagram @hunter_hindman

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
I usually am with son by my side and let him crack it. If he's not along I have usually a high school kid thru 25 years old. I plop them down and I like to drop back and call to drag bull right past them. Excites me as much as them. One year nephew had chronic cough and nobody wanted him anywhere near the kid. I didn't care because he would not quit. An hour later I dragged bull right past the kid who I put 100 yards in front of me. I was so overcome with emotions for the kid Noone wanted to be with, I could not talk for 20 minutes.