Pics of Custom Seek Outside Packs

Clarktar

WKR
...Like this
83535ca744b1f3208e609a95dd07e5de.jpg
Thanks guys! Now that I have the bag secured properly there is no load shifting or swaying, THe bag is very snug to the frame! I like that you don't have to use any of the webbing tabs on the bag itself to secure to frame. Leaves a lot of options for strapping other items!

I went with a 6300 custom bag, no lid, one saker styler side pocket and one lanner style side pocket. on a breakway frame. Went with a mesh talon to store wet stuff (like a tent) as needed. Added a zpacs pocket to the belt and a Seek water bottle holder. I curretly have the 4 inch extensions installed. Fabric is similar to xpac-21.

Historically the majority of my hunts are in very wet environments so I wanted a pack that was basically waterproof and something lighter than cordura. This checks both of those boxes easily. I have always been a top lid kind of guy so we will see how I adjust to not having one.

First hunt with this pack was supposed to be a sheep hunt, which is canceled now due to work. A fly in moose hunt will serve as the first hunt. Hopefully follow that up with a goat hunt and if possible a late winter early spring caribou hunt. The heavy loads of a moose should shed light on how this pack functions with heavy weight!

Thanks everyone for the setup help.

Last edited:

JohnB

WKR
I've had issues with my pack attachment gatekeepers loosening. I figured out that if you feed the tail back through the gatekeeper a second time it really locks it up. I don't think I've had to readjust them in a year.

tdot

WKR
Replaced my break away Fortress 6300 in VX42 with an Integrated 6300 in Spectra, changed one of the short side pockets to a long spotting scope pocket, dropped the lid, modified my Spectra Merlin to remove the shoulder straps. With all the changes, I dropped just about 2lbs from what was already a reasonably light pack.

Total pack weight of 4.95lbs, including the Merlin, a hip pocket, 7 Gatekeeper straps, load shelf and a Kifaru gunbearer.

Here it is packed for an 8 day sheep hunt, including food, an ATX/95 and a few other luxury items; total weight of 41.5lbs, before rifle and water. Pretty stoked.

Attachments

• 20210809_215015.jpg
    20210809_215015.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 20210809_215005.jpg
    20210809_215005.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 103

Clarktar

WKR
Replaced my break away Fortress 6300 in VX42 with an Integrated 6300 in Spectra, changed one of the short side pockets to a long spotting scope pocket, dropped the lid, modified my Spectra Merlin to remove the shoulder straps. With all the changes, I dropped just about 2lbs from what was already a reasonably light pack.

Total pack weight of 4.95lbs, including the Merlin, a hip pocket, 7 Gatekeeper straps, load shelf and a Kifaru gunbearer.

Here it is packed for an 8 day sheep hunt, including food, an ATX/95 and a few other luxury items; total weight of 41.5lbs, before rifle and water. Pretty stoked.
Awesome! When's the sheep hunt? Our bags are nearly identical sans the frame choices. Would be interesting to compare our two bags side by side in person (maybe more so for me as I haven't checked out an integrated design from seek).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
Awesome! When's the sheep hunt? Our bags are nearly identical sans the frame choices. Would be interesting to compare our two bags side by side in person (maybe more so for me as I haven't checked out an integrated design from seek).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Leaving sometime in the next 48 hours. Still a few things to get finished before I can leave.

I'm in BC, so with the US border still closed to Canadians, you'll have to come visit :cool:

My initial impression is that I like the break away better from a functional point of view. I prefer the Integrated from a weight perspective. After a couple hunts I'll make a final decision on which I prefer. But so far my biggest beef with the Integrated pack is that when the Stay Extension is added to the frame, it lifts the entire bag up. I don't like the added height and it also moves the water bottle pocket up high enough that I can't reach back to get water. I hadn't thought of that eventuality and changing the stay length is one of the many things I really like about the Seek packs.

Wapiti1

WKR
Leaving sometime in the next 48 hours. Still a few things to get finished before I can leave.

I'm in BC, so with the US border still closed to Canadians, you'll have to come visit :cool:

My initial impression is that I like the break away better from a functional point of view. I prefer the Integrated from a weight perspective. After a couple hunts I'll make a final decision on which I prefer. But so far my biggest beef with the Integrated pack is that when the Stay Extension is added to the frame, it lifts the entire bag up. I don't like the added height and it also moves the water bottle pocket up high enough that I can't reach back to get water. I hadn't thought of that eventuality and changing the stay length is one of the many things I really like about the Seek packs.
You definitely want the extensions with a big load. I use the 4" extensions when packing over 80lbs, and the 2" ones for smaller loads. I'm 5' 10" with a pretty average leg to torso proportion.

My preference is the breakaway for versatility. Not a custom bag, if you don't count the Mystery Ranch lid I cobbed onto my pack. They didn't offer a lid when I got that pack. I've since bought the SO lid. One thing to note is the load sling on mine is lower than they are now.

Sheep in 2017. Everything into a trash bag and then into the main bag.

Sheep Pack Out (2).jpg
Elk in 2018
Elk 2018-1.jpg

On this elk, it was nice to pull the bag and use the talon for a dedicated meat hauler. First load with bag on, and the quarter between the talon and bag. Then I pulled the bag, which takes about 2 minutes, and ran with it bare for the rest of the packout.

Jeremy

tdot

WKR
You definitely want the extensions with a big load. I use the 4" extensions when packing over 80lbs, and the 2" ones for smaller loads. I'm 5' 10" with a pretty average leg to torso proportion.

My preference is the breakaway for versatility. Not a custom bag, if you don't count the Mystery Ranch lid I cobbed onto my pack. They didn't offer a lid when I got that pack. I've since bought the SO lid. One thing to note is the load sling on mine is lower than they are now.

View attachment 315296
Elk in 2018
View attachment 315299

On this elk, it was nice to pull the bag and use the talon for a dedicated meat hauler. First load with bag on, and the quarter between the talon and bag. Then I pulled the bag, which takes about 2 minutes, and ran with it bare for the rest of the packout.

Jeremy

No doubt about using the frame extensions. Being able to swap between a 24" frame and a 27" frame during a hunt is my favorite part of the SO backpacks. I cut the longer extensions down to 3" as the original length was too long for my liking. I also modified the harness so that I can quickly swap extensions without having to modify any harness settings.

lerman

FNG
hey quick question @Kevin_t @RockChucker30 why are hydration ports only offered on your custom bags? Requiring a talon to use a water bladder with your production bags seems like it puts one of the heaviest loads (aside from meat) the furthest it can be from your back. Is it concerns about water ingress into the main pack?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
hey quick question @Kevin_t @RockChucker30 why are hydration ports only offered on your custom bags? Requiring a talon to use a water bladder with your production bags seems like it puts one of the heaviest loads (aside from meat) the furthest it can be from your back. Is it concerns about water ingress into the main pack?
It does not require custom. Hydro ports are standard on Peregrine, Lanner , Brooks, Saker .. the other bags are more optimized for water resistance . It depends on your needs and desires. I did flip my Kayak in the Atigun gorge a few years ago and was happy to NOT have a bladder opening.

TheNorris

FNG

View attachment 315296
Elk in 2018
View attachment 315299

Jeremy

I really like this setup!

tdot

WKR
Do you mind sharing how you modified the harness here or in a PM?

I cut the Revolution back panel as in the photo, bound the edges and then the webbing plus tensioner in order to tension the top piece of the panel down tightly onto the frame.

With this modification the shoulder straps are never adjusted. If you want to change the stays, all you do is release the tension on the new webbing straps and the lifter straps and insert or remove the desired frame extension.

This setup has been used on an elk, sheep and bear along with several hundred miles with 40+ pounds and its performed flawlessly. I haven't noticed any additional frame flex. Changing the extensions is now a 60 second affair.

If you want more details, let me know, I can do a write up on a new thread.

Attachments

• 20210830_212945.jpg
    20210830_212945.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 73

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I cut the Revolution back panel as in the photo, bound the edges and then the webbing plus tensioner in order to tension the top piece of the panel down tightly onto the frame.

With this modification the shoulder straps are never adjusted. If you want to change the stays, all you do is release the tension on the new webbing straps and the lifter straps and insert or remove the desired frame extension.

This setup has been used on an elk, sheep and bear along with several hundred miles with 40+ pounds and its performed flawlessly. I haven't noticed any additional frame flex. Changing the extensions is now a 60 second affair.

If you want more details, let me know, I can do a write up on a new thread.

A write up would be awesome.

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
Are the bags coming with the heavy duty 1" buckles and 1" straps now instead of the 3/4"? It looks like it from the pictures but I can't tell for sure.

Are the bags coming with the heavy duty 1" buckles and 1" straps now instead of the 3/4"? It looks like it from the pictures but I can't tell for sure.
Unfortunately no.
But they found a much better gate keeper.

Id just really like a way to use quick release auto locks.
But haven't found any in 3/4" and I've searched hours.