Pictures of DIY packs

WoodBow

WKR
If would not ask that machine to go through more than 1/16" hpdpe personally. One of the shortcomings of home machines is that have inadequate presser foot pressure. Thick material puts a lot of friction on the needle and the presser foot can't keep it held down as the needle raises.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If would not ask that machine to go through more than 1/16" hpdpe personally. One of the shortcomings of home machines is that have inadequate presser foot pressure. Thick material puts a lot of friction on the needle and the presser foot can't keep it held down as the needle raises.

I know very little about sewing, but are tapered needles available to help with this? If they are and you kept them waxed, it seems like it would help with that issue.

WoodBow

WKR
I know very little about sewing, but are tapered needles available to help with this? If they are and you kept them waxed, it seems like it would help with that issue.
Not to my knowledge, but im no expert. A tapered needle would require extra force to insert and would make a larger than necessary hole in the fabric.

If someone wants to sew through heavier hdpe and does not have a heavy duty enough machine, you could pre punch or drill holes and sew it by hand. If you took your time with the holes and used a gauge to lay them out evenly, you could get a high quality result like a machine. All that is sewn through the sheet is the stay sleeves. So not a ton of sewing there.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Copy cat of kifaru ultralite frame. 500d cordura. Spandura on inside of belt and shoulder straps. 1/2" xpe foam. 1/8" hpde frame sheet.
dd216e877909ef596a1cf3f3ec4384f9.jpg
178b40dae08a7c9e58fc3df226d01d97.jpg
212742924c872954bc795b90c8a413a3.jpg

What did you make that frame out of? It's impressive as hell

WoodBow

WKR
What did you make that frame out of? It's impressive as hell
The actual rigid portion? 1/8" hpde sheet from grainger. The composite stays add the curves.

1/2" xpe foam for shoulder straps and hip belt.

Spandura is the stretchy black material

Ldav07

FNG
Awesome looking packs. Really impressed poeple are able to put together packs like that

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
If you search for "build along" there should be a couple more threads on packs and frames. Some very talented folks. I was not 100% happy with my build, but it is a ton of work, so I haven't made version 2.

apsudd

FNG
I had a guy make me a pack out of old wader material, love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk