Pig Hunting in California

Gobbler36

WKR
Have an extra week of vacation this year and was thinking of taking the fam to Nor Cal to camp, see the redwoods and do some pig hunting. Is it a realistic expectation to be successful on pigs on public land?

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
You can get them, but it won't be easy. Google is your best bet. Look either south of the Bay Area near King City and Fort Hunter Liggett, or north near Lake County. South can be pretty rugged.

If you have not spent a lot of time on the public land you plan to hunt, no, being successful is not a realistic expectation. But you can always get lucky.

MeatBuck

WKR
Not near redwoods and even if you were camped in the heart of hog country, without knowing the area you’re not going to have a realistic chance of killing one. This time of year it’s really a first half hour and last half hour of the day that the chance even exists on public lands in my experience.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Ok little doom and gloom so I kinda half expected that being from the SE I know hog in the warmer months kind be tough add in large expanses of public land and it can add up even further.

so are the locals more receptive to hog hunting permission especially with archery tackle, are their reasonable semi guided hog hunts that are free range?

JNDEER

WKR
If property has pigs usually a guide already has a contract to guide on their land or the owner of the land hunts them.

couldn’t hurt to knock and talk- but it’s CA not the mid west.

In California its a mixed bag but if you intend to ask for permission to hunt private land be ready for a lot of No's and even some hostility. If you want to come and enjoy some camping also be prepared for temps in the high 90s in many areas.

jbane9

FNG
I’ve been at it hiking public land around Monterey and San Benito County for the past few months. I’ve seen some sign here and there, but only see pigs on private nearby. It’s definitely a grind and I wouldn’t expect to be successful having not known the area. I’ve finally found an area where some pigs are, but they seem to be mostly nocturnal. Will be going back for an overnighter soon. This is after several weekends of scouting and hiking. Good luck!

Moserkr

WKR
I live too far from pig country to spend enough time to learn the area and their habits. After 2 seasons of public land hunting I realized it was a futile effort. Sure they are there, and spring seems to be the best when the hills are green. But for the amount of money spent chasing and learning over 2 years, I could have just done a guided hunt with 99% success. Guided would be my vote. There are some pigs on public but they are nomadic or are near private lands. Going in blind and being successful is only possible with pure luck of the draw.

I would concur public land free range pig in CA is a non-starter for anyone not a local to the area. I spent 4 years during school trying to hunt them. I had access to Military land on Vandenburg, (not open to civilians unless employed there) with decent number of pigs and still struggled. killed one pig in 4 years, and maybe could have shot one more on a long shot but was trying to get my brother to shoot, before it disappeared. lots of deer and quail there, but that's another story.

Guided is relatively affordable and definitely worth the cost!

Billinsd

WKR
I spent 4 years during school trying to hunt them. I had access to Military land on Vandenburg, (not open to civilians unless employed there) with decent number of pigs and still struggled.
I believe Vandenburg has the best public land pig hunting in California.

Billinsd

WKR
@SDHNTR nailed it. Pig hunting in CA for the most part is on private land or pay to play. It's cheaper and more productive to travel to a different state.
Looks like you could hunt for a day or so for a grand or so. The rolling Oak Hills are real nice.

Last edited:

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I believe Vandenburg has the best public land pig hunting in California.
I had a ball hunting them on Vandy during missile school. Only got one, but had a good time. A guy in Lompoc butchered it (my quarters weren’t set up for DIY) and brine soaked the hams before smoking. Best ham I’ve ever had.

1stSgt M

Lil-Rokslider
I had a ball hunting them on Vandy during missile school. Only got one, but had a good time. A guy in Lompoc butchered it (my quarters weren’t set up for DIY) and brine soaked the hams before smoking. Best ham I’ve ever had.
Hunter Ligget has a ton of pigs, we hit some with mortars! Ops....