Pig hunting?

Hey guys, looking at an out of state trip for pig hunting. I live in Eastern washington and so far it looks like northern California is the closest to me with wild hogs. Has anyone hunted public land hogs in northern cali? Any tips? Also does anyone know if Oregon has any pigs for hunting? Thanks in advance!

bbell

WKR
Have never hunted pigs but have looked into it a bit. I live in Oregon and the only pig hunting you’ll find here is fenced in stuff. Also I was looking at going last spring and in my research it seemed like traveling to Texas wasn’t to bad of an option. Seemed like Cali was pretty expensive but could find reasonable priced diy ranches to hunt in Texas. Good luck. I think it would be a fun hunt to do no matter where you go.

Jsn_leonard

Lil-Rokslider
Live in and hunted Norcal my entire live. Public land pig hunts are tough. They are smart animals and super nomadic, even on the private I hunt. There are a couple really good outfitters that have high success rates if you wanna go that route

Stalker69

WKR
I will second Texas, if your going after pigs you might as well go we’re they are the thickest. And it’s not as easy as they make it look on tv, at least not if they are not behind a high fence. Things are really smart, should be relatively easy with a rifle, a lot harder with a bow. The place we hunt won’t allow us to hunt at night, but that is the time to kill them, period, with either weapon. We hunt our asses off and get a few pigs every year, but our trail cams at night show there are a ton of pigs out at mid-night until just before sun up. Then they seem to disappear. Feeder lights, weapon mounted lights, Darkness and corn are your best friends for seriously getting a pig.

Last edited:
I am sworn to secrecy and cannot divulge confidential information but will tell you this. There are public lands in No. Cal. loaded with big boar that can only be accessed by motorless watercraft for whom there are camping facilities. Gotta packraft? Look at freshwater north of 80. Oops...I've said too much.

boar.jpg

They are here as mentioned, but you'll have to work for them. I've killed a few on vineyards, but only one on public land that was purely luck. If I had the cash and time to drop I'd go to Texas and fill the freezer. Good luck either way.

F D

FNG
I bow hunt Lake Sonoma (public) near Cloverdale. Lot's of pigs but not a lot of success, at least for me. I'll be going up there in early Feb to try again. Private land is the way to go but hard to get connected with the right people and anything guided is $$$.

Lazy hunters buy bacon. I established an ADC company and provided complimentary services to ranch/farm owners in exchange for trespassing rights. Was also able to write off all my hunting gear and vehicles. Great way to get a foot in the door.

OP
Justin.Medcalf
I bow hunt Lake Sonoma (public) near Cloverdale. Lot's of pigs but not a lot of success, at least for me. I'll be going up there in early Feb to try again. Private land is the way to go but hard to get connected with the right people and anything guided is $$$.
That area looks like a great spot! Can a guy boat in and camp, then hunt outta camp?