Pigs

Mckinnon

WKR
Anybody hunt pigs in california? I would love some info on this, my brother and I were just talking about what we are going to do to keep occupied after deer season... thanks in advance!

BSeals71

WKR
I grew up hunting pigs all over CA. Most of the hunting is on private land. At the time I was a member of Wilderness Unlimited. What part of CA are you in?

Check out Fort Hunter Liggett. It's s Army base over near King City / Paso Robles, West of HW 101. Guys kill pigs there every year. Or we're you looking to hunt on private land?

Are you looking for a private land guided hunt or public land jaunt? Lots of folks spend months if not years trying to find a hog on public, when they could have gone guided and save themselves lots of time and money.

Pigs are one of my favorite post season critters to chase.

file_zpsbdae7dbc.jpg

shaun

WKR
CA is infested with pigs. Got lots of info regarding that. For a filler I hunt them about every other weekend. You just have to decide Public Land or Private/ Guided. Guided averages 5-600$ but you are guaranteed a pig in most cases

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
My folks live near Auburn, so I know I will have a drive. I was hoping to go public to save $, but if its going to save me any then I would hope to go on private land, but maybe unguided. Any possibilities there? Thanks for the feedback.

JNDEER

WKR
I have been hunting pigs on public land for a very long time. A few missed shots is all I have to show for it and when I say few I mean 2.

If you want something to do with very low expectations, go public land and walk until you cannot walk no more.

If you actually want to kill one go private land or guided.

Ozz08

WKR
I would go private. It's not exactly cheep but your chances are almost 100% to get a shot. I grew up hunting pigs on a huge ranch and we killed on every trip. I loved that place! Since we lost access to that ranch we have gone 0 for 20 on private. We have never seen a pig, but did see fresh sign once. I'm no pig hunting expert and I have never taken public land pig hunting very serious so that could be part of it but in 20 trips on public land and never see a pig? Basically public land pig hunting is tough! There are guys that are really good at it and are pretty successful but I think they are few and far between. I've been on 2 guided hunts with Tom willoughby out of king city. They were awesome hunts! Pigs everywhere!

Beastmode

WKR
Hey rock if you live in Reno you can be in the Red Bluff area in about 3.5 hours. There is an outfitter called Red Bank Outfitters that I believe will do unguided/semiguided hunts. They run a really good kids hunting summer camp and seem like a really good outfit. Tons of hogs on the property. Who knows I might have to meet you over there and kill one too if you go.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Well, sounds like if I wanted to do it the way to go would be an unguided hunt on private land. Sounds like a deal beastmode, any idea on their pricing? I couldn't find it on the site...

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you decide to go on private property, shoot me an email. I have good friends with land in Cottonwood and they take pig hunters nearly every weekend. If you go public, it is generally just an armed hiking trip in California.

DSC01029-1.jpg

DSC01049.jpg

Yeti

FNG
Pigs are all over here in Shasta and Tehama counties but as others have said you will need to get access to some private land. There are small pockets of public land here that do hold some pigs but they are not easy to find.

Nice Boar Rosin!!!!

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Thanks Rosin, much appreciated, and nice hogs! Sounds good beastmode. I will keep you all posted on any decisions, thanks for the help!